(Dead) 10 points/dollar site wide @ Rakuten.com (formerly Buy.com) = 10% discount

Discussion in 'Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests' started by LIN1B09, Jan 31, 2013.

1. LIN1B09

LIN1B09 Member

Today only (Thursday, January 31) until 11:59 PST.

Use code 'welcome10x' at checkout. It's not necessary to be a new customer, I think the "welcome" bit is just because they just changed the site name from Buy.com to Rakuten.com.

You do need to have a Rakuten.com account, because the points are used against a future purchase.

Original ad here:
    http://www.rakuten.com/loc/welcome-10x/74164.html?omadtrack=welcome10x_campaignbanner

#1 LIN1B09, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  2. CPA

CPA Elite Member

wow, didn't realize Buy.com changed.

3. richardycc

richardycc Diamond Member

they went from an easy to remember and well known site name to rakutenawho? This one got failure written all over.

4. TwiceOver

TwiceOver Lifer

Buy.com the domain name is probably worth more than buy.com the company.

5. BenJeremy

BenJeremy Senior member

Any word on outpost.com? :)

6. DesiPower

DesiPower Lifer

so you get it for your next purchase?

[​IMG]

7. Basilisk

Basilisk Senior member

Agreed. They've been pushing their "Rakuten Points" [WTF?] silliness for a year, so 'guess the name change has long been in the works. THe only weakness of "Buy" would be the difficulty of creating brand recognition of a trivial verb.

'Seems a bit in the spirit someone tiring of "Smith" and changing their name to "Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm" [to borrow from Monty Python].

8. Basilisk

Basilisk Senior member

Japanese online retailer Rakuten to compete globally
    Hiroshi Mikitani, the chairman and chief executive of the Japanese online retailer Rakuten, has said 2012 is the opening year of the company's "true globalisation."

He is on a mission to challenge the internet retailer Amazon and believes that global expansion means speaking English.

Two years ago Mr Mitikani made English the corporation's official language, insisting it is used at all meetings and in emails.

It's not a very informative interview (in above link), but you get a sense of the CEO's intent.

BTW: "Rakuten" appears to mean "Optimism"... which ya gotta have in spades to take on Amazon. 'Haven't sensed a competitive edge in Buy.com's past year's pricing, but Amazon's appeal will take a hit come July as it opens a NJ warehouse cum tax collection.

9. DaveSimmons

DaveSimmons Elite Member

I stopped buying from Buy.com many years ago. My top 2 issues were:
    - "In stock" did not really mean in stock -- the stock status was not reliable.
    - Shipping of "in stock" items could sometimes take weeks even if an item was supposedly not back ordered.

Has anyone ordered from Rakuten / buy recently? How was the experience? (The deal's hotness depends somewhat on this.)

10. CPA

CPA Elite Member

11. Basilisk

Basilisk Senior member

I buy one or two things a year from them and have had no problems for years. Way back when I had some long-forgotten problem with CS, but that was then.

12. LIN1B09

LIN1B09 Member

DesiPower - Yeah, you apply the points towards a future purchase. The points take awhile to become available - I bought something today and in my "Super Points" page it says they'll be available February 15. Once available, you can just apply them against your checkout balance, at the rate of 1 cent per point, and your CC (or whatever method you use) is charged the reduced amount.
    BUT, points don't last forever: I have some points for stuff I bought on and around Black Friday that expire at the end of July.

DaveSimmons - I suppose hotness is in the eye of the beholder, but I've always had good experiences with Buy.com. Shipping has always been reliable, at least in my experience. It's possible things have improved since Rakuten bought Buy.com a few years ago.

13. compman25

compman25 Diamond Member

14. CPA

CPA Elite Member

???:confused:

15. compman25

compman25 Diamond Member

Wounded Monitor Children, buy.com screwed a ton of us way back when on a Hitachi monitor(I think that is what brand it was).

16. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

This has been coming for a couple of years now...

http://www.rakuten.com/ct/aboutus.aspx

The only good thing I can see from the change...is at least it's not a Chinese company...:rolleyes:

I've bought from them a couple of times since they made the change in 2010. I haven't seen any difference.

17. Pardus

Pardus Diamond Member

buy.com was a easy website to remember, rakuten.com is not. what a horrible move. buy.com had a terrible rating with the bbb and resellerratings. they prob did the name change to separate themselves.

i haven't bought anything from buy.com in years due to there miserable customer service and poor shipping methods. i'm sure nothing has changed except the domain name.

netflix tried to separate themselves with dvd rentals handled though Qwikster, that didn't work out.

even coke failed at new coke.

some never lean from history.

something tells me buy.com/rakuten will fade away soon enough.

deal is dead btw.

#17 Pardus, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  18. Fanatical Meat

Agreed I can't possibly remember the name. Seriously I'm posting from a smart phone and just read the entire thread and realized that was what I thought junk mail inside my inbox was invites to this I've probably read the companies name 15 times and I am still incapable of spelling it or remembering it.
    So lets review:
    I can't remember the new name
    Even if I could I wouldn't be able to communicate the word to a friend
    Nobody seems to have an idea what these points are for & why we should want them
    Goodbye buy.com.....

19. Wyndru

Wyndru Diamond Member

As of now buy.com still forwards to rakuten.com, I wonder if they will keep the domain rights and leave it that way. Their copyrights on the site still say buy.com inc. also.

20. Fenixgoon

Fenixgoon Lifer

i didn't even know they changed.

i got emails from rakuten.com and wondered wtf had sold my address out.

21. Rakewell

Rakewell Platinum Member

This!