DDT commercial from the 1950s (Video)

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
My dad said that when he was growing up, kids would follow the mosquito trucks around as they pumped out DDT fog. The kids thought it was fun since they were riding their bikes through the smoke.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
My dad said that when he was growing up, kids would follow the mosquito trucks around as they pumped out DDT fog. The kids thought it was fun since they were riding their bikes through the smoke.
:Q

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: BrownTown
You do know DDT isn't poisionous to human right?
In high doses, yes it is.

It's like some other pesticides: It can be used somewhat safely (for humans), but you don't really want to go around rubbing it all over your dog or your skin regularly.

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Eug
Originally posted by: BrownTown
You do know DDT isn't poisionous to human right?
In high doses, yes it is.

It's like some other pesticides: It can be used somewhat safely (for humans), but you don't really want to go around rubbing it all over your dog or your skin regularly.

i think in my class it says you have to ingest a huge amount (like a bowl or something) to get sick from DDT.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused
http://www.junkscience.com/ddtfaq.html

Banning DDT was not only totally unnecessary, it was genocide.

http://www.junkscience.com/malaria_clock.html
That of course is a very biased "FAQ".

There are legitimate concerns to using DDT willy nilly. Like all pesticides, DDT needed better controls than it had at the time.

The FAQ is completely referenced and valid.

And I will agree that a little more discression was needed, however a complete ban was, in effect genocide. It has cost the lives of millions of people who did not need to die.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

There are legitimate concerns to using DDT willy nilly. Like all pesticides, DDT needed better controls than it had at the time.

And I will agree that a little more discression was needed, however a complete ban was, in effect genocide. It has cost the lives of millions of people who did not need to die.

the genocide aspect is probably hyperbole, the mosquitoes would likely have developed resitance to DDT.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: OS

the genocide aspect is probably hyperbole, the mosquitoes would likely have developed resitance to DDT.

I've seen that argument, and it doesn't hold water. They hadn't in the over 20 years it was in use.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

I've seen that argument, and it doesn't hold water. They hadn't in the over 20 years it was in use.

wiki says in some regions DDT already isn't that effective any more for mosquito control.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Referenced does not mean completely unbiased.

Genocide is hyperbole.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Fortunately several of the countires which banned DDT tand then saw huge increases in Malaria deaths have re-introduced it, so not nearly as many people are dying needlessly as once were. And in the US Malaria isn't much of a problem anyways, so I guess we can keep worrying about killing birds and stuff instead of worrying abotu killing people.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
It's time to send mass quantities of DDT to Africa so we can help reduce the ammount of Malaria. I have heard on talk radio (take it with a grain of salt people) that DDT isn't as bad for the birds as once thought.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Even if DDT killed 100 birds and saved a human life I would be more than willing to use it. BILLIONS of birds die each year becasue they are too retarded to avoid tall buildings, that don't stop anyone from building more buildings, why should it stop them from curring Malaria?

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
The DDT taboo came from a CDC report that only eluded to possibilities. Totally lame how it got a bad rap.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
DDT doesn't hurt people

it does cause problems with birds eggs and whatever, but DDT got a bad rep , it has a reasonable use

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
2 million children die from malaria every year in Africa because DDT is "banned" (it's not banned in the literal sense, although it is arguably in the actual sense). There is no hyperbole in that.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
DDT kills bald eagles

That is a myth. Bald eagles were threatened with extinction before DDT was even in widespread use. It was rampant poaching that was the problem.

To be clear, I'm not in favor of pesticides per se. I just see it as more or less immoral that we here in the developed countries were able to get rid of our insect-borne disease problems (which used to be quite serious, Lewis acquired Malaria on the Ohio River for example) and that, as soon as we solve our own problems, we deny the rest of the developing world the ability to do the same. That is, quite frankly, disgustingly selfish.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
2 million children die from malaria every year in Africa because DDT is "banned" (it's not banned in the literal sense, although it is arguably in the actual sense). There is no hyperbole in that.

and africa is still overpopulated...

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: Vic
and africa is still overpopulated...
Not nearly so much as Asia is. And Africa's population density is almost a third that of Europe's.

The point is not just the population numbers, or even the number of children killed, but those who are left with lifelong disabilities, and the tremendous economic resources that these struggling countries must devote to fighting disease.