• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question DDR5 MB first AMD or Intel?

Who will have the first consumer MB out that supports DDR5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
AMD has the flexibility to do DDR4 and DDR5 at the same time with the same 8 core dies. (limited cost)
Intel has the money to just make extra dies. (after they figure out to use 10nm or not)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Dunno, but Intel is probably who will have the next Chipset release. I think they have a lot more Marketing incentive to do so as well, but they might not want to exacerbate their competitive issues by increasing Costs for their platforms. I suppose it depends on what kind of Performance enhancements it might bring.

moinmoin

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2017
Personally I believe the steady cadence of updates AMD's execution manages so far makes them more likely to be first at DDR5. Intel stagnates since they weren't prepared for the issues they face with 10nm, so all technological advances they planned ahead are pretty much delayed 2-3 years atm. Those they'll have to make up first.

ubern00b

Jun 11, 2019
I'd say AMD just cause of their recent resurgence with Ryzen, Ryzen 2 just around the corner, PCI-E 4, bringing more than 4 cores to the desktop mainstream etc though it's anyone's call really, though I wouldnt mind 2x16GB DDR5 5000mhz RAM to last me the next couple of years :D

NostaSeronx

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2011
I'm sort of expecting a Z590(X570+ w/ DDR5)/Z560(B550+ w/ DDR5), somewhat next year for Vermeer/Renoir/Dali.

ubern00b

Jun 11, 2019
Ouch just seen the poll results, AMD is burning Intel bad, and whilst it might not be indicitive it's a measure of peoples perception of both comanies right now

Markfw

CPU Moderator, VC&G Moderator, Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 16, 2002
Ouch just seen the poll results, AMD is burning Intel bad, and whilst it might not be indicitive it's a measure of peoples perception of both comanies right now
Its fact, Intel is stuck on hold for a while, and AMD is marching forward, tromping them. Why wouldn't they be first ?

Reactions: Drazick

ubern00b

Jun 11, 2019
Its fact, Intel is stuck on hold for a while, and AMD is marching forward, tromping them. Why wouldn't they be first ?
oh it's not a complaint on my part, just seems the general population now seems to be picking up on and responding to whats been going on in the CPU market the last 2 years

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
First Intel will release a new HEDT platform with support for DDR4+++
I'm sure you meant this as a joke, but if Intel did release a new HEDT platform, what would they put in it? Cascade Lake-X wouldn't be sufficiently different from Skylake-X refresh to require an entirely new platform. And it would get slaughtered by Rome-based Threadripper (coming in Q4 2019, allegedly). IceLake-SP is extremely limited in quantity, restricted to 26c, and apparently not clocking very high thanks to 10nm problems.

Reactions: ClockHound

DisEnchantment

Mar 3, 2017
That IO die gives them so much flexibility.
I imagine their Core design team can keep working on new Cores continuously without shuffling around keeps them laser focused on core achitecture and optimizing layout of their Compute Die.
A mixed signal team can keep updating the IO die without impacting the Compute Die.
This alone could give AMD more flexibility vs the competition.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Really depends on what Intel is up to. If they plan a full series of tocks on 10nm. Then AMD. If they speed through 7nm by 2021, then Intel. Zen 4 will almost certainly be a DDR5/PCIe 5 solution. They probably want to get another gen on PCIe 4 before they move over. So the question is, will Intel step over a couple of their designs they pushed back to fast track 7nm. Those ones were probably designed with DDR5 in mind.

HurleyBird

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2003
On the one hand, AMD has a lot of flexibility with chiplets, on the other hand, Intel has the willingness to break platform comparability at the drop of hat.

It will probably come down to specific product launch timing, but hearing how well Zen 3 (which I expect will have both DDR4 and DDR5 variants) is supposedly coming along, I'll give the edge to AMD.

ASK THE COMMUNITY