DDR4- Will it advance much in a few months?

Comdrpopnfresh

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2006
I have a 4x2gb set of Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 DIMMs (DDR2-6400 with XMP for +DDR2-1066) from an old computer that is no longer used. Before the computer was unusable, three out of four of the sticks stopped working- the timings were not readable, and a cold boot would not work with all four in the motherboard. I am sure the memory went bad. I came to the conclusion when I had three different CPUs and 4 different LGA775 motherboards to cross-test with.
Luckily, there is the lifetime warranty. Last time I enacted my rights under warranty, an error in my favor (very Monopoly-esk) landed me the aforementioned dual set of memory from my original purchase of 4gb of Ballistix DDR-400 that ran undervolted at a CAS of 2 beyond stock frequencies.

What I would like to know is...
Are Crucial/Micron offerings in DDR still performing at or near the top? My performance goal is a frequency overclock at stock or near there-about voltages. I like to squeeze out performance, but don't like wasting kilowatts or running up a bill from HVAC in the process.
Second, with the going rates for 2-generation old DIMMs inflated as they are, I suspect I would be able to use the trade-in allowance and receive a matched pair for a 16gb set of DDR4. Does sound correct?
Ideally, I would prefer my next build to have 16-32gb of low voltage RAM that can operate at low timings and low voltage with a potentially mild overclock. It's been a while since my last build, so I would splurge on a multiplier-unlocked chip. Though, I am aiming to use AMD's coming Zen, should it release before Feb. 2107.
Should I wait it out? Use the credit for DDR4, or for storage instead?

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
I'm hoping crucial/micron can make some good advances in both DDR and NAND.
As things stand right now samsung is pretty much leading in both, like intel leads in CPUs.
That being said, I don't think you could go wrong with dimms having samsung or micron chips on them.
Even with the current chips on the market you'll be getting better than ddr3.

Personally, i'd wait on buying the memory till the platform I was buying for was released.

ASK THE COMMUNITY