DDR2 mobo requires DDR2 GPU? (noob question)

liquidsense

Aug 23, 2006
Last edited:

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
You can use any PCI-E videocard with any PCI-E slot so you'll be fine with any card you buy today.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Vegas doesn't have GPU acceleration, I don't know if Sony will be adding it to version 10. But for 9 the video card will have no impact, for Vegas I'd say CPU + lots of memory + fast HD should be your main concern.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
graphics cards have their own memory controller and so what memory they use is completely irrelevant in relation to what your CPU is using for main memory, since the memory controller on the CPU doesnt directly manage the memory on the GPU. they dont make a DDR5 memory yet anyway (only just developing DDR4 now most likely), so your argument is flawed to begin with.

liquidsense

Aug 23, 2006
Vegas doesn't have GPU acceleration, I don't know if Sony will be adding it to version 10. But for 9 the video card will have no impact, for Vegas I'd say CPU + lots of memory + fast HD should be your main concern.

Damn. I'm thoroughly confused. My current setup is a Intel quad-core Q9550, 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, and a WD 640GB 7200RPM hard drive. Yet, when I run Vegas Pro 9.0, the preview window is incredibly laggy and slow. Even if I have it set to the lowest resolution, my computer still struggles. If I put it to any moderate resolution, it just hangs and chops. If I drag the cursor accross the timeline, it moves very slowly. So, if a GPU won't make things a difference, what can I do to make that experience better?

Surutcra

Jun 30, 2008
Yeah gpu isn't going to help you at all there they really only help with 3D graphics and other specific tasks which are loaded on to the gpu like certain video encoding. One thing you should check to make sure you have multithreading for 4 cores turned on in your options. If anything you might want to upgrade your cpu (and ram).

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
So, if a GPU won't make things a difference, what can I do to make that experience better?

Make sure all your drivers are in order. Especially chipset and graphics. If the chipset isn't functioning properly there could be some hard drive transfer issues. If the graphics driver isn't up to snuff, it could delay updates to the display.