DDR Motherboards in Alienware Systems

Citadel535

Jan 16, 2001
Hey everybody!

Does anyone know what motherboards Alienware is using in their DDR rigs? I would like to know and build a system replicating their config. Any help would be appreciated!

Finality

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Dont buy from them but they use "ALi MAGiK1 Motherboard w/1AGP/5PCI for Athlon Processors". Not the best board out there.

SimonBarSinister

Mar 5, 2001
On Friday I ordered a DDR System from Alienware and then noticed on Friday Night that they were no longer listing DDR on their website. I called them first thing Sat and in their defense they were pretty honest about the situation. They told me that the pre release engineering samples worked great in their labs, but the release board was doing nothing but freezing. I then asked what their plans were for DDR and they stated that they had already tried 4 other boards including the 760 Chipset, and that they were all freezing. It just wasn't ALi.

Geocross

Dec 26, 2000
Finality, you're a golden member, so I won't flame, but any review you read of the Iwill aLi chipset from Anand or Tom was not really accurate. Those were of the rev 1.1 board. Check this review if you'd like to know why the Iwill aLi chipset is better than the AMD 760: link Right now, this is the only DDR board I'd touch, what with the all the questions surrounding the AMD760 life span. It will be interesting to see if the Via chipset lives up to the hype.