DDR memory price free fall soon

Wei2Cool

Nov 30, 2000
Hold you pocket for just a few days if you are on the market of DDR memory

The Inquirer (yes them again) is reporting that memory prices have crashed in China due to the new year, taxing and god knows what else:

DOUBLE DATA RATE (DDR) prices are crashing through the floor today amidst claims that some of the big memory manufacturers, the Dramurai, are dumping stock like there's no tomorrow.

For example, 256MB DDR modules are costing as little as $36 and that's causing a number of brokers and memory dealers to clear up their stock, big time.

The Chinese New Year appears to be one reason for the swift decline in prices, but there's also a move by one or two manufacturers to empty their warehouses of DRAM, for tax and accounting reasons.

In fact, DDR 32MX8 chips are at a 52 week low ?so there's not many reasons to be cheerful if you're a Dramurai in 2003.

Watch out for reductions at your local e-retailer soon and be ready to snap it up.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
:D But I doubt this'll have much impact on the memory I've been eyeing.... Corsair DDR 400 1 GB Twinpaks :Q

Chiz

popeye44

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2000
Anyone with a bit of xmas spirit left over? I could use a free 512 stick of corsair 3200 to go with it's twin brother :D

Umm.. Dramurai? it's like some new replacement for the Samurai? except their code of honor is all in 0's and 1's? hahaahahaaha

xJoshx

Oct 11, 2002
I'm really curious how this will play out since I'm going to be putting together a new system here shortly.. I wonder how much the nice stuff will drop... Are we talking 10% or 40%?

Not really a question since I doubt anyone here has a ball to look into the future...More like a comment from the frustrated computer user...

fornax

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
$36 for a 256MB stick? Is this wholesale or retail? I just bought a Kingston 256MB DDR stick at OD for $30 after rebate. I think most of us here have enjoyed ~$30 for a 256MB stick for quite some time now :)

Schnieds

Jul 18, 2002
I hope that this will pressure RDRAM prices into falling to. I need some more RDRAM 1066 for the Dell I got in the deal of the year a couple months back...

ZakPC

Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Schnieds
I hope that this will pressure RDRAM prices into falling to. I need some more RDRAM 1066 for the Dell I got in the deal of the year a couple months back...

Ack!:Q An Intel weenie!!
j/k
:D

Mallow

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2001
so the china market will affect american manf. or is everything made in china now?

huesmann

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
What does Chinese New Year have to do with DDR prices?

I already have a gig in my machine...dunno if I have a 3rd slot I can fill. Is there really any need to have 1.5 gig of RAM?

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What does Chinese New Year have to do with DDR prices?
It doesn't, but it appears to be the excuse that's being given for 2003. :(

Each year, shortly after the Christmas season, memory goes into a free-fall. Prices will usually drop and remain low until the end of Summer. In September, prices will begin to rise and stay up there until the following January. This cycle has been repeating itself for several years now.