DC voting rights - Taxation without representation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Best solution to the DC voting rights issue?

• Statehood

• Amend the Constitution

• Retrocession to Maryland

• Something else not listed here

Results are only viewable after voting.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
How can anything south of US50 be considered a benefit.
Granted it has been 4-5 years since I took Penn Ave in from the Beltway to the Mall; but I would think that not much has changed.

Send the north section (Georgetown, etc) to Montgomery County.
Expand the Federal area to cover the south section - Rather than the government wasting money on leasing buildings, put up new ones in a waste area. :hmm:
Put up a Federal Government housing complex - remove the subsidies for those Congress people that have two homes - one in their district and the other in the DC area.
That way no one suffers():)

VA was smart - they took their portion back before it became a ghetto.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Make DC Smaller so it only includes the monuments and the capital. Make the rest of DC a county and attach it to a state. Force all residents Except Congress out of the capital area. Definitely make all the the people who canvass the government live outside of DC. There should be nothing but museums and parks near DC.

Last edited:

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Make DC Smaller so it only includes the monuments and the capital. Make the rest of DC a county and attach it to a state. Force all residents Except Congress out of the capital area. Definitely make all the the people who canvass the government live outside of DC. There should be nothing but museums and parks near DC.

This is petty much what retrocession would do. All 50 states have property in them owned and controlled by the Feds, it would not need to be all that different in DC. No need to move residents, they would all be living in a county in Maryland once retrocession is completed.

Clean up D.C. and then let Virginia annex it.

Honestly I would not have a problem with that either but it really seems more logical for it to be returned to Maryland since that is where it came from.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Residents of DC can vote for President.

I don't see not voting for a Congressional seat in some district as all that big a deal. As far as I'm converend there's no need to change anything. For those who really really miss voting for a Congressperson in some district - move to other side of the border.

I pay a butt-load of R/E taxes to the town where my commercial building is located but I can't vote in those elections because I live (just) outside the city limits. Some level of taxation without representation is more common than many seem to realize.

Fern