DC voting rights - Taxation without representation

Best solution to the DC voting rights issue?

• Statehood

• Amend the Constitution

• Retrocession to Maryland

• Something else not listed here

Results are only viewable after voting.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Congressional leaders shelve D.C. voting rights bill

The latest scheme to grant voting rights to a Congressperson from Washington DC has been shelved for now, which is a good thing in my opinion. I say that not because I believe that the residents of DC do not deserve representation but because this was not the way to do it and would likely not have survived a court fight. The way I see it there are 3 ways that DC could be given representation that would not involve evading the US Constitution.

1. Make it a state.
2. Amend the Constitution to provide a voting representative in the House.
3. Retrocession to Maryland of all non Federal property.

I doubt #1 will ever happen and that #2 would be very difficult to get ratified. For me that leaves #3 as the best path to fix this issue. It would be the most logical and least disruptive way to solve the problem and the only objections I see come from DC politicians that would become small fish in the Maryland pond. I am certain a deal could be worked out with Maryland and retrocession could be accomplished by legislation that would not involve the hurdles that Statehood or a Constitutional amendment require. It would not change the balance of power among the states in any significant way and would finally fix a national embarrassment. It is time the Democrats put aside their dreams of gaining 2 addtional Senators by having DC become a state, for the Republicans to accept that Maryland would gain an additional Democratic Congessional Representative and for both parties to do the right thing and solve this issue in a way that neither loses anything and they both finally solve the issue in a way that benefits the true victims of this constant back and forth: the residents of the District of Columbia.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Some quick thoughts on this important issue . . .

1. Yes, this is an embarrassment - the citizen-residents in DC should have a voting voice in Congress.

2. Statehood for DC is just silly - it's not even a very big city (27th by population in the U.S., according to wiki), so why should it be a state?

3. I like the 'give DC back to MD' solution the best.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Retrocession is the only option the Republicans would accept.

Anything else comes off as a power play by the Democrats.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Retrocession is the only option the Republicans would accept.

Anything else comes off as a power play by the Democrats.

To me it just makes sense and there is precedent for it as well. Arlington County, Virginia and a portion of the City of Alexandria were given back to Virginia in 1847. I am convinced the only reason it has not already been done is mainly the objections of local DC politicians that dream of the power that being a state would give them and place that desire for power above their constituents best interests.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
To me it just makes sense and there is precedent for it as well. Arlington County, Virginia and a portion of the City of Alexandria were given back to Virginia in 1847. I am convinced the only reason it has not already been done is mainly the objections of local DC politicians that dream of the power that being a state would give them and place that desire for power above their constituents best interests.

DC politicians would actually do this, you say?!?! I'm just shocked, SHOCKED!!

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Retrocession is the only realistic, constitutional way to solve this.
I don't think it is that extreme. There are other realistic and constitutional methods.

I'd support putting the capital in an area WITHOUT local residents. I believe that would be perfectly constitutional. The support staff and other necessary people could live in nearby towns (in a state). And keep it that way. Don't let the new capital become another DC.

That said, everyone living in DC knows of their slightly limited voting rights, yet they still choose to live there. DC residents can still elect local politicians and vote for president/vice president (with the greatest voting power per capita of anywhere in the country except for Wyoming), so this isn't that much of an issue.

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Move DC to Kansas. Tell me why we have to have the capital of the USA on our coastline? Doesnt that make it more vulnerable to attack?

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
If people living in DC do not have representation they should not be taxed and any tax previously paid should be returned. To correct this in the future they should make DC part of Maryland.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Move DC to Kansas. Tell me why we have to have the capital of the USA on our coastline? Doesnt that make it more vulnerable to attack?

why have it on the surface at all? the entire thing should be built a mile underground. 'but what about the crab people,' they say. i say, phaw to crab people!

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Overpaid Government workers dont need representation. Who lives in DC Anyway? I dont see why anyone would want to live there.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Congressional leaders shelve D.C. voting rights bill

The latest scheme to grant voting rights to a Congressperson from Washington DC has been shelved for now, which is a good thing in my opinion. I say that not because I believe that the residents of DC do not deserve representation but because this was not the way to do it and would likely not have survived a court fight. The way I see it there are 3 ways that DC could be given representation that would not involve evading the US Constitution.

1. Make it a state.
2. Amend the Constitution to provide a voting representative in the House.
3. Retrocession to Maryland of all non Federal property.

I doubt #1 will ever happen and that #2 would be very difficult to get ratified. For me that leaves #3 as the best path to fix this issue. It would be the most logical and least disruptive way to solve the problem and the only objections I see come from DC politicians that would become small fish in the Maryland pond. I am certain a deal could be worked out with Maryland and retrocession could be accomplished by legislation that would not involve the hurdles that Statehood or a Constitutional amendment require. It would not change the balance of power among the states in any significant way and would finally fix a national embarrassment. It is time the Democrats put aside their dreams of gaining 2 addtional Senators by having DC become a state, for the Republicans to accept that Maryland would gain an additional Democratic Congessional Representative and for both parties to do the right thing and solve this issue in a way that neither loses anything and they both finally solve the issue in a way that benefits the true victims of this constant back and forth: the residents of the District of Columbia.

F*ck that, us Marylanders don't want them.
Virginia can have them.

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Is the population of Puerto Rico 300 million?
Um, they still pay payroll taxes (which are about the same amount as income taxes even though so many P&N posters keep forgetting about them) and other federal taxes (import/export, commodity taxes, corporate income tax, etc). Heck, if you work at or with the federal government in PR, you then have to pay federal income tax. Plus, they pay Commonwealth of Puerto Rico income taxes and don't get the full services of the federal government. That is hardly a good example.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Give Virginia everything south of US50.

Thanks but we already have our piece of DC back. I believe in the end a deal could be struck that would make this a net plus for Maryland. Love it or hate it there is a certain amount of pride that would come along with being the state that contains the national seat of government.