DC Vault Standings

strates

Oct 12, 1999
A few months ago, we stood at third on the dc-vault standings, we currently rank 7th.

I have a battle plan to improve our ranks, but I need to know if anybody else is interested in the effort. I've been out of touch with the DC community for a while, (like since RC-64 completed), so please post your feelings on this.

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Well, there are some projects that are not included in the DC Vault standings.. Chess960 comes to mind immediately. Granted, this particular project is in Alpha state at the moment(Beta in July), but that's no reason not to include it as teams have formed including one for us, as well as Boinc Synergy and the Free-DC folks -- that's 3 major teams with a presence in lots of projects. So any of my crunching for the TeAm and this project isn't included in the DC Vault stats.

I'd like to see the DC Vault cover EVERY DC project there is so that everyone is represented. TA members like to do their own thing and crunch what they like, so everyone gets to have fun. Some coordination can happen as has been the case with races in previous projects like RC5 and Seti@Home to name a couple. Concentrated efforts are also underway with "TAS" - where we rocked the QMC project in April and the PrimeGrid project in May(so much so that they shut the server down to keep us from taking over first place - my theory anyway). ;)

Them's my thoughts such as they are.. I need to go recover now - I think I strained something. :confused: :p

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: networkman
Well, there are some projects that are not included in the DC Vault standings.. Chess960 comes to mind immediately. Granted, this particular project is in Alpha state at the moment(Beta in July), but that's no reason not to include it as teams have formed including one for us, as well as Boinc Synergy and the Free-DC folks -- that's 3 major teams with a presence in lots of projects. So any of my crunching for the TeAm and this project isn't included in the DC Vault stats.

It's no problem to include alpha/beta-projects, but in my opinion it's not a good idea to include projects like Chess960 and Malariacontrol.net that is currently closed for new users, meaning teams that doesn't already have an account can't compete.

It's therefore better to wait till the projects opens-up for general usage, meaning the DC-Vault-stats is based on actual production in the various projects and isn't based on the "luck of the draw" of who managed to get an account or not.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Welcome back, strates :)

Thanks for the info on our standings at DC Vault.

Let's hear your plan.

TAS (the TeAms' "Rally TeAm") is just starting to decide what to crunch next month. We are open to new ideas.

strates

Oct 12, 1999
The main push of my battle plan is simple. Improve on the areas we are weak in. Now I understand we are probably weak in these projects, because there isn't a widespread interest in participating, or because the project has some sort of nuance that doesn't settle well with people. Furthermore, I respect every bodies free will to crack whatever project their heart desires. However, it just so happens that my heart desires to see our team in number one in the only forum for widespread team competition I know of. Yes, I understand DC-Vault doesn't represent everybody, but I feel they do a very good job of keeping the playing field fair, so for that reason I feel compelled to show the DC world that Team Anandtech is certainly better than 7th best, and probably the best DC team around.

Now for the details. Look at the rankings of Free-DC. They have no fewer than 7k points in any one project. They aren't first in a lot of projects, because in most projects the struggle for first place is fruitless. However they are consistent across the board. That being said, I think our focus for right now should be on improving those areas which we are extremely weak in. After we get back in to 3rd place, we can take the fight directly to Free-DC and AMD Users.

So, the projects I suggest we focus on now are the four "miscellaneous" projects. 2 of these can be run efficiently from any computer that is participating in any other project. (So I am not even asking people to drop their pet projects.) Now I know Majestic-12 is a bandwidth hog, I run it all the time. But it does a fair job of throttling itself, and I don't really see an impact on limited downloading. If we could get 10 active participants in this project, on cable modems, I think we could crack the top 10 in a matter of 2-3 months. This would add 3400 points to our DC-Vault Total.

Red Library has it issues as well. You can only run it on 3 computers, so your daily output is capped, but the project managers are fair about it, so the playing field is level. Because of this, our ranking in this project is a function of how many active members we have. With 7 active members, we are catching the two teams in front of us. If we could double or triple our output in this project, we can easily make it to 3rd or 4th in the same 2-3 month timeframe. This would translate to about 2k points in DC-Vault.

Dimes we are doing good in, no need for additional focus there.

The third project we need to focus on is MoneyBee. This one is going to require some actual crunching, and may require the change over of clients that are currently working on other projects. Nonetheless this is a good project, unfourtunately it is focused on German markets, so doesn't draw a whole lot of international attention. But this battle plan is not about the individual merit of each project, it is about concentrating our efforts in such a way to improve team rank. We are currently 238th in this project. A goal would be to brak the top 100. Progress on this one might be slow. But by my rough estimations I think 10 active members could bring us to the top 100 in 3-4 months. Being in the top 100 would translate to another 3400 points on DC-Vault.

So if I haven't already bored you to death, let me summarize. We need to divert limited amounts of attention to these neglected projects. By doing so, I feel that we can raise our DC-Vault score by almost 9k points in 2-3 months. From there we can will be within reaching distance of the top 3, and will still have room to improve in some other areas, such as mathematical research, but thats another story for another day. And just to reiterate, I am not trying to coerce anybody into doing something they don't want to do, I am trying to drum up support to improve our ranking and show the world that TA is #1 in distributed computing. Thank you for your attention, if you've made it this far.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Strates, thanks for your proposition.
I like the idea of TA getting up in the ranks.

I have heard about Red Library and am running Dimes, but not about the other two. I have searched the forums here but not found anything ... Could you provide links so that we can learn more?

The second question which nags me: who profits from MoneyBee? Now: the following may be my prejudice, so be so kind as to remember that my questions arise from thinking about the name and not from actual knowledge: The name gives me ideas of crunching for some organisation which is supposed to make money (directly, as in contrast to the scientific projects, which are more open with the results [se e.g. folding@home, Rosetta, seti@home and many other], and if they generate money, those are in the form of scientific grants primarily and possible patents later).

I do not feel comfy of donating my resources to someone who has created a DC-project to predict how to invest his/her money and to make a profit. I may be very wrong about that project, so please provide som more info - because I think that at least some of my team mates think in similar terms.

I would be comfy with them buying my resources ... or having a share in the profits ... ;)

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
:thumbsdown: ********* DC VAULT *********** :thumbsdown:

Recently, some of the TAS team contacted them requesting QMC be added to their stats.

The experience was unpleasant (<--putting it mildly)

I won't support them (by viewing their site)

Sorry

-Sid

strates

Oct 12, 1999
Recently, some of the TAS team contacted them requesting QMC be added to their stats.

QMC is now part of the stats. I can understand not wanting to go there, if the guys were outright rude. But perhaps they are trying to make good on the deal. I am just providing information, so take it or leave it.

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
I really appriciate the effort your making strates! ;)

The guys over at the dc vault really were unpleasant during our last encounter.. The stats just don't seem fair to me since according to them they only include stats from project that's not alpha or beta or whatever not. That doesn't seem fair, a team might be nr 1 in all those projects and still be last on their stats. Include everying and give all a fair chance, otherwise it's pretty much useless.

strates

Oct 12, 1999
Petrusbroder, thank you for your interest. Let me try to answer a couple of your questions. MoneyBee is a program that uses historical stock market data to predict future prices. Though it would be extremely risky to conduct any actual transactions based on this data, the information is useful in tracking trends and providing analysis of future economic oscillations. Yes, people probably due buy and sell based on the information that is generated by my computer crunching numbers. But inorder to have access to the information, they have to also participate in the project, so they are not getting something for free. If you still don't feel comfortable with this project, that is fine, we can use help in MJ12.

In other news, we did climb 2 spots today. That is in large part due to the addition of our Hash Clash team to the rankings, but it is also a result of the creation of a Prime Sierpinski Problem - PRP team. I am working on creating a Prime Sierpinski Problem - Sieve team, but it's going to be a couple of weeks before I am ready to submit any results.

Crack on,
Strates