DC Universe Online going F2P

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Starting October, apparently, DCUO will be F2P on both PC and PS3.

I'm slightly shocked, personally, given that DCUO is the cornerstone of the StationPass right now. It hasn't been doing very well recently, but given Sony's MMO portfolio hasn't consisted of F2P games (other than FreeRealms for the most part), this is interesting indeed.

What can I say about DCUO? It's actually pretty fun in terms of gameplay. Like any MMO, it gets repetitive quickly. I like that it's sort of a mix of MMORPG meets console button-masher fighting game. It does well to make it feel like you're somewhat of a superhero too. The population sags quite a bit, the world is more or less a ghost town for now. For the price (free), it'll be worth it. That's for certain.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Nice. I'll finally give it a go then. Any more specific date than "october"?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I believe the other 2 main superhero mmmos are or mooving towards free, and as one that hasn't played any of them I'll try this one as it has the established history.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I believe the other 2 main superhero mmmos are or mooving towards free, and as one that hasn't played any of them I'll try this one as it has the established history.

Champions Online has been F2P for some time now (It sucked that bad). City of Heroes will be F2P within the next month or so.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

One of them has been FTP for a while now on steam, and I tried that and didn't care for it. Wasn't very well done, kind of clunky, and despite the MMO thing there wasn't very many people on. Hoping for this one to be more populated since it's so new.

Ross Ridge

Dec 21, 2009
EverQuest II has a free to play option and so does the Pirates of the Burning Sea, but the later is just published by SOE. Planetside 2 is going to be free to play, and I pretty much expect anything new released by them (like EverQuest Next) will be as well.

Arsinek

Feb 9, 2010
How was the population in this when it first started? I got turned off when I heard the controls were like that of a console.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
They actually merged a bunch of servers into just a few servers, so called megaservers. From what Ive heard, these servers are much larger than what the launch servers were. I may have to load up my char again once its f2p, may have an awkward return since I just randomly didnt show up one day for a raid lol

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
They actually merged a bunch of servers into just a few servers, so called megaservers. From what Ive heard, these servers are much larger than what the launch servers were. I may have to load up my char again once its f2p, may have an awkward return since I just randomly didnt show up one day for a raid lol

dont worry all those guys quit too...

I will play again if its free. Flying around on my projector screen was fun enough for free!!

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

I most recently played about a month ago, after the mergers. You'd see one player every five minutes or so unless you were in the mission hubs, then there'd be maybe half a dozen.

Compared to launch, where you couldn't move without tripping over someone.