DC Linux users...

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
I've installed some version of linux dozens of times, often installed BOINC even, but never have I gotten the GPU to be used in linux, despite having linux driver's for the card(s) installed.

So walk me through this, I install x version of linux (tell me your choice), install the driver next, or BOINC or....???

Kiska

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
You install Linux, I go with Ubuntu, download and install the drivers for GPU, then install BOINC, and you should be good to go.

NOTE: Nvidia drivers go to geforce.com or whatever they have it now, for AMD go to amd.com and navigate from there, it looks like proprietary drivers are required for CUDA or OpenCL

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I have not ventured into GPU computing on Linux yet, but am considering it. From what I have gathered so far, there is one step before those which Kiska enumerated: Go look up for which Linux distributions (and which particular releases) NVIDIA or AMD offer their proprietary driver package. Then use one of those distributions (and releases, which may not necessarily be the most current one), since I expect that making the drivers work on other distros/ releases might be possible but a PITA.

Though unlike open source/ libre drivers, proprietary drivers have the tendency to discontinue support for ranges of older cards now and then. So even before you decide on a Linux version, you need to verify whether you want the current driver, or an older one.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I forgot:
Besides the question of compatibility between driver version and your particular card, there is of course also the question of compatibility between driver version and the targeted DC application.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I posted a quick tutorial for how I did my Nvidia card in the F@H race thread. Too bad it's buried in there and so hard to find.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If someone wants to do a "how to" thread for various software and maybe hardware installs or "best setups" for a particular project, we could keep it together and I'll add a link to the thread in the Projects List. That way it won't get so easily lost.