DC GPU pRon

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Ajay, May 12, 2017.

1. Ajay

Ajay Diamond Member

Saw this on Ian's twitter feed (Velocity Micro) seems like it needs to be posted somewhere :)

[​IMG]

crashtech likes this.
  2. TennesseeTony

TennesseeTony Elite Member

:eek: Thank you Ajay! Saved and added to my most frequent pRon folder!

@Markfw I think you need three of these.

3. TennesseeTony

We'd love to have you stick around, friend! Fighting for our (virtual) lives right now in an international BOINC race! Could use any help you can offer!

4. Ajay

Ajay Diamond Member

Would love to but, not right now. Typically I run F@H till the basement gets warm, but my hardware is getting old, so I won't be doing any for a while. I'll keep you in mind, used to fold for a different team but I'll be move on, probably to AT, next time I start up.

And, yes, this is my lottery winning dream rig :)

Smoke likes this.
  5. TennesseeTony

This post has made me a bit jealous, with only 4 1080s to pit against it.

Pokey and Ajay like this.
  6. TennesseeTony

Keep us in mind around November, as we will be preparing for the annual internal Folding@Home race that happens for the month of December. Usually a good deal of fun for all. And the basement will need some 'intelligent heat' then, most likely. :)

7. Ajay

Ajay Diamond Member

Heh, I don't have a heated basement. I just throw on a warm hoodie - fingers get a bit cold. When I build a new workstation, that'll be upstairs. I probably won't be getting a new GPU till Christmas, so I may be late for that contest.

8. Orange Kid

Orange Kid Elite Member

Nothing better than Christmas in November. ;):)

Rudy Toody and Ken g6 like this.
  9. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

Maybe when I figure out how to transfer pictures from my Android phone to my PC, I'll post pics, but for now, just imagine a nice Ryzen 5 1600 CPU sitting on one of my computer desks. Because one is. :)

Still waiting on the mobo. (I'm on the East Coast, and Newegg shipped it from Cali.)

Going to be finally getting into DC again, once I get this rig built. (Kind of had a hiatus after the Dec. F@H race.)

Suggest some good DC CPU projects for a 6C/12T Ryzen? I may or may not overclock it right away. I kind of like that it's 65W. Pretty amazing, really.

If nothing interesting pops up, I'll probably do WCG for a while.

Ken g6 likes this.
  10. TennesseeTony

Good to see you again, Larry. :) I'd suggest something with consistent points/non-variable workunits, to give you a good baseline compared to other systems. Nothing is coming to mind right now though, at this late hour.

11. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

I finally got my rig put together. It runs (stock) at 3.4Ghz with 12 (10) threads loaded with BOINC (WCG and PrimeGrid).

Been rather unsuccessful overclocking. I was able to get to 3.70Ghz with 1.300V in UEFI, and OCed my 2400 RAM to 2667. Other than that, I appear to be thermally-limited with the included Wraith Spire cooler.

TennesseeTony likes this.
  12. Ken g6

Ken g6 Programming Moderator, Elite Member

Larry, I don't believe it. You put together something with more than 4 cores! And more than 2 big cores at that!

How's it feel joining the big leagues? Asking for a friend who might not have that much processing power either. (OK, it's me.)

VirtualLarry and TennesseeTony like this.
  13. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

Feels niiice, having 12 threads available. I let BOINC use 10 threads, without too much lag web browsing and watching YouTube.

Overclocking doesn't seem to go so well, though. Still not having much luck with it. May need an AIO CLC for it, which means a new case.

14. Ajay

Ajay Diamond Member

Well, it's Christmas in June. I received a GTX 1070 for my BDay. I've even running F@H for a long time as various brain illnesses have hit my family/in laws. If I didn't do F@H, I'd probably mine (mining would probably be smarter, as it would pay for my hobby and then some). Guess I'll be bringing a few million points per week to team AT come November :).

System upgrade is delayed till next year (ugh).

Edit: can't ever seem to type correctly on my iPad.

#14 Ajay, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017