DC - Computers Only?

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just had an off the wall question, didn't know what to search for so if it's a repost...sorry. Not a regular here, just pop in and look around from time to time. Got a DC client running, computer participates, I don't much.

Has anyone yet tried to harness the processing power of idle chips other than in computers? First and most obvious I guess would be an X-box. Then I was thinking TiVos sit idle a lot and have a phone line for the program guide, right? (Runs on a unix OS doesn't it?) Or any other appliance with a processor and way to get data in/out. I'd put my Dishnetwork receiver to work if it was possible, heck only watch TV a few hours a week, what a waste, especially as it draws about as much power when "off" as when "on". My brain comes up with odd and usually useless things when idle too long, got bouncing 'computers as appliances' around and ended up wondering about this.

On a related note, GPUs on video cards been put to work yet?

Overkiller

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2003
This HAS been discussed and is in the early stages but i do not know too much about it. The most obvious next step is a AGP co-processor. With Video Cards nowadays surpassing CPUS in complexity i believe ti is just a matter of time.