Dazzle DVC - Anyone have this?

jaylek55

Aug 26, 2000
I'd like to get into video capturing and I'm considering getting the Dazzle DVC USB model. I heard from a friend that it's pretty good for capturing video, but I'd like a 2nd opinion. Does anyone have this device? What are your thoughts on it?

JonB

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
www.granburychristmaslights.com
I am looking seriously at the next level up, the model II, which connects via a propietary PCI board. I'm concerned about the comments saying that it will only work on "some" Athlon based systems. Since I'm about to go that way, I need to know which ones.

btw, the resolution on the USB model is a bit low. The II version is over twice the resolution. You just need a compatible system and a free PCI slot instead of USB.

Good luck. If you run into any reviews that actually list Athlon systems that work, let me know.

jaylek55

Aug 26, 2000
The Athlon problem is why I'm considering the DVC and not the DVC II. I currently have an Athlon system so I have to stick to what I know will work. I'm not willing to pay over $200 for something that won't work on my system.

codehack2

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Go with the DVC II.. the Athlon is not the problem, it's the 751 chipset, since you've got the kt133 you will be fine..

When installing the DVC II be sure that the card gets it's own IRQ.

BTH

codehack2

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
FYI JonB,

The DVC II doesn't connect via a firewire card, it has it's own PCI card that contains the C-Cube MPEG-2 encoding/decoding/transcoding chip.

CH2

jaylek55

Aug 26, 2000
codehack2 - A question. Do you know which slot would be appropriate for the DVC II's Mpeg card on my A7V? I currently have slot 2 & 4 free. Slot 1 has the DxR 3, slot 3 has the X-Gamer, and slot 5 has my NIC. What do you suggest (if you know anything about the A7V)?

JonB

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Codehack2, thanks. I had noticed in pictures that it looked like a DB-XX type jack, but conveniently forgot. Dazzle is selling (or trying to) lots of other Firewire cards for use with Digital Camcorders.

I don't have a DV, just regular 8 and Hi8 tape. I need analog inputs but want better than 320x252 resolution on the input. I may output in that resolution, but I'll be using Adobe Premiere 5.1c to render it out, not the relatively weak Dazzle software.

To anyone interested in editing digital video, Premiere 5.1c is fantastic. I haven't tried ULead's top of the line products, but have looked at their "giveaway" versions and was unimpressed.

If you want to output to VCD (one of the best choices until DVD burners come way down in price), Premiere and the LSX-MPEG-1 encoders are just wonderful. Very fast, great sound, smooth video. It is so good that running it through Movie Cleaner Pro makes it larger and grainier.

Look on E-bay. Find someone selling their extra copy of Adobe Premiere 5.1c. If you have dual processors, it actually USES them BOTH :)

Now, these comments are based a lot on part-time usage of a $30,000 Macintosh based (Media 100) Digital Editing system at work. It uses a 5 disk, 10,000 rpm RAID for smooth playback and storage and special hardware to digitize at broadcast quality resolution. My home setup of Premiere is very similar on output to MPEGs, but cannot come close to matching the output to NTSC videotape. I can process and render many things faster on my Dual 450's, but the high dollar specialized hardware on the Media 100 does make a difference in output that speed cannot overcome. Sigh.

codehack2

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
jaylek55,

I've got mine in 2nd pci slot (from the top), on an Epox 8kta2 (KT133 chipset). In my bios I can see what device is using what IRQ, your ASUS probably has the same feature. Not sure if you have ordered yet, but I got mine from Buy.Com for about $210 shipped (including some coupons picked up from tech bargains ).

JonB,

I use the Dazzle software to do my raw capture, edit it in Premiere 6.0 (the only premiere with MPEG II support), and send it back out to tape with the Dazzle software. Works flawless. The quality of the MPEG II capture of this card is really a treat.

CH2

JonB

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Crap, did I miss an upgrade chance? I'll have to check.

[edit] Uhoh, it is a $149 upgrade. Maybe later [/edit]

I can do MPEG-II output with an LSX encoder, but what do you play it back with other than Premiere?

MPEG-I isn't a problem. Everything likes it. Will need to get a Dazzle before I can ever see what my tape output looks like.