DayZ mod for Arma 2, persistent world and perma death

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
http://www.dayzmod.com/index.php

Has anyone tried it out yet? I haven't heard of it till I saw Arma 2 Combined Ops being in the top sellers on Steam for the last few days (without any sale) so I went digging around to figure out why.

There's a few videos I've watched on youtube. It looks pretty cool. Start off with basic supplies and have to scavenge from areas while watching out for zombies and other players that might kill you to take your stuff. Your character is saved on the modders server but when you die, you lose everything and have to start a new character. The servers go by real time too, so if you play one that is located in your timezone and you play at night it will be nighttime the entire time, but you can switch to other servers with your character.

Looks really cool and has me seriously thinking of buying the Arma 2 pack to play

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
It's ok, but ARMA's gameplay is just so bad. I should be able to feel a difference in gameplay when I switch from a tank to infantry. Instead the infantry combat feels like a tank simulator.

It's so rigid and clunky I can't stand it.

A mod like this on Arma's map with BF3's infantry combat would probably go down in history as one of the best games in history.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Oh man, I really want to play this. A hardcore zombie survival game created in Arma 2's engine? Sign me up.

The only question is: Will it work with vanilla Arma 2? Or do I need to buy the expansion (operation arrowhead) as well?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Oh man, I really want to play this. A hardcore zombie survival game created in Arma 2's engine? Sign me up.

The only question is: Will it work with vanilla Arma 2? Or do I need to buy the expansion (operation arrowhead) as well?

Need operation arrowhead

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Perma death.

When you die, you have to buy a new copy of ArmA2.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Arma 2 and this mod are really made for each other. Arma 2's open spaces/terrain combat really matches with the game. The level of realism that A2 provides in combat and the inventory system really mean this mod is quite unforgiving. Its a great PvP experience if you can live with the advantage going to the guy who laid in the grass for 3 hours waiting for you to walk within his kill zone on a 50x50km map with only 50 people in game. Death is based on one or two shots, often at ranges in excess of 100m, and not uncommonly at 500m+. That is Arma's contribution to all this and its not the same experience that COD provides, but equally its not to everyone's liking.

Stuff takes time, survival is hard but it provides an authentic experience. DayZ feels like you are playing season 2 of the living dead with the ever present threat of other human groups that may want what you have.

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
I've been playing the game non-stop for about a week now, mostly to avoid Battlefield 3 and to wait out for Diablo 3. While Dayz is a good mod I feel that you should wait until a beta is released. They put everything in place for an amazing game but haven't tuned it at ALL. I personally believe they released it way too soon and now are playing catch-up by patching every night.

As an example of the ups and downs of this game currently I'll lay out a scenario. The game has a really nice stat system. You can break legs, bleed out, and even get the shakes. The issue is sometimes zombies will fly/attack through walls or just charge you and knock you out, leading you to sit and watch yourself bleed out over what amounts to a zombie punching you through a stone wall. At the same time in a PvP sense, people on top of the leaderboard have already admitted to alt+f4'ing and avoiding death in firefights. Another example is changing bags or dropping items causing the items/items in bag to vanish.

Zombies randomly flying through walls or pathing incredibly erratically is a very serious issue that I think everyone playing is hoping will be fixed ASAP, but from what I have been told it can't be fixed until ARMA III (Q4). This is completely ignoring the fact that the servers crash more than A windows ME installation running crysis and are slow connecting/always full. If you have an issue with walking 5-10 minutes between towns this is NOT the game for you. You also recieve no map ingame; you must find a map looting. If you have played ARMAII it's not a huge issue but if you are new to the map it can be incredibly confusing.

If you do decide to play:

*Play with friends. Giving transfusions, bandaging, reviving, and even carrying is helped by a buddy. It helps to have two people to defend in a shootout.
*If you play solo, stay low! If you have nice things you will die every time to bandits (unless you bring friends!).
*Google the map for armaII. You will need it until you find an actual map in-game.
*Buy a stress ball for the amount of bugs that will kill you 2-4 hours in with your precious loots.

Overall the game is fun IF you can overlook the incredible amounts of bugs that are fairly game-breaking at the moment. My suggestion is to play D3/whatever and come back to this game in 2-3 months. It JUST came out less than a month ago and is in alpha...........I expect the beta to be amazing! As of right now though I have two friends whom I tried getting into this (both played stalker/fallen earth). While they enjoyed it the bugs instantly stopped their enjoyment.

*ninjaedit* another example of a bug: approx. 50% of ladders will kill you if you climb them (they cause you to just fall). Of course, there is loot above these ladders.

Last edited:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I love Arma2, but it's enough with the zombies already. I don't know, there's nothing really going on, so I might try it this summer.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
not really a fan of zombies but saw a video of this last night and thought it looked cool/was a cool concept.

the guy playing it was playing at night and you can't see a damn thing without flares or something. he was just running around in complete darkness for part of the game.
the game just like dropped him in the middle of a field with not much of anything from what i could tell.

later on he did get chem sticks and flares. i noticed that some zombies were really fast and others just kind of stood there doing nothing.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
*Play with friends. Giving transfusions, bandaging, reviving, and even carrying is helped by a buddy. It helps to have two people to defend in a shootout.

well that kills it for me. I'm too old to have friends that play video games (30). Well I do know a couple that play 350 hrs of modern warfare n+1..

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
well that kills it for me. I'm too old to have friends that play video games (30). Well I do know a couple that play 350 hrs of modern warfare n+1..

I have friends over 30 who play games and still manage to work and be married and all of that. I think you're trollin' us, bro. :p

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I have friends over 30 who play games and still manage to work and be married and all of that. I think you're trollin' us, bro. :p

I'm lucky if I have friends who are into Madden, CoD, and Mario. I'm 27.

The chances of finding a handful of real life friends who are into something as technically daunting and intimidating as ArmA are slim to none. Maybe if you've grown up with the same circle of friends since childhood/teenage years, or made your friends in these types of environments, but otherwise...I just get blank stares. ;)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'm lucky if I have friends who are into Madden, CoD, and Mario. I'm 27.

The chances of finding a handful of real life friends who are into something as technically daunting and intimidating as ArmA are slim to none. Maybe if you've grown up with the same circle of friends since childhood/teenage years, or made your friends in these types of environments, but otherwise...I just get blank stares. ;)

Guess I got lucky then.