Dayco vs Gates timing belts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamx2

Oct 25, 2004
I need to perform a TB replacement and wondered about using a Dayco timing belt (buy at AAP w discounts ) vs Gates ( buy at NAPA) . Are the Dayco timing belts as good as the Gates timing belts ?

Last edited:

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
I've used both and never had a problem with either. Both have been around long enough if they had problems you would probably have heard about it.

Also make sure to get the timing belt kit, not just the belt. Check www.rockauto.com as well.

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
I've used both and never had a problem with either. Both have been around long enough if they had problems you would probably have heard about it.

Also make sure to get the timing belt kit, not just the belt. Check www.rockauto.com as well.

+1 on EVERYTHING this man said.

Gates to me is almost OEM (i know in some cases they are).

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I think both are fine, but prefer Gates for the reason stated- pretty sure they make a lot of OEM belts. Dayco may, as well. If not, they're certainly reputable, anyway.

On the timing belt itself, I would take either. For accessory drive belts, hell, I'll take generic parts store brands.

But what's more important is the other components. I don't know what comes in a timing belt kit branded as Gates- AFAIK, they do not make hard parts like pulleys/bearings. And definitely not water pumps. There is a third party involved there, and to avoid any question, I like to get OEM idlers/tensioners/water pumps.

If you can find the maker of the factory water pump, I'd go with them. For Japanese cars, Aisin is common. For American and Euro cars, it can be hard to track, as there seem to be more suppliers and more frequent changes. If nothing else, go for new (not reman) and made on the same continent as the car (i.e. not Chinese). This pretty much means avoid parts store water pumps.

I've seen way more failures of aftermarket water pumps replaced as maintenance than I have of actual factory pumps.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
As others have said, both Gates and Dayco are great belts. A lot of people like ContiTech as well, but I've seen some issues with ContiTech belts in certain applications (specifically the Porsche 968) not holding up well.

I'll echo what phucheneh said about the rollers/pulleys/water pump. Make sure to get OEM parts there.

ZV

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Another random thing, and I'll shut up:

I encourage 'cautious research.' As in...people who do this stuff for a living don't have the luxury of knowing everything about every make. And parts must be acquired quickly, and generally as cheaply as possible.

But if you have a whopping one or two cars to take care of, and you're about to do a 100k maintenance item...spend a minute looking around before you dive into it. Use some google-fu, browse some make/model-specific forums, ect...

...and take it all with a grain of salt. There's a lot of misinformation out there; luckily, the good stuff is often easy to pick out. If EVERYONE says 'x' manufacturer made your timing components, and they've all had good luck with them...probably worth believing. Even for diagnosing things, rather than just maintenance, google often helps me more than Alldata. I might not accept any of the OPINIONS of a forum full of fanboys, but they might be a good resource for general information. Like...okay, I don't want lowered, stretched-tire guy's diagnostic recommendations...but hey, thanks for the pictures of your disassembled car and stuff. :D

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
EBay has some good timing belt kits and some bad ones. It seems a lot of their Toyota belt kits are pretty much OEM like items like all the seals and etc. Pretty much overkill when I did a Toyota v8.

I did a lancer non turbo and used gates everything. Belt, tensioner and water pump. I'm sure the pump was rebadged but it was cheaper to get all three from Rockauto.

One word of advice as well. What works well for one car might not for the next. Had two Goodyear hoses that didn't line up perfectly and caused a small leak. Went with a no name brand on the third try and it fits like a glove. Had I googled i would of saved the time.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Gates is a well respected and reliable belt. And I also agree to get all the other parts mentioned above. You are already taking most of the engine front area apart to get to the belt and in most cases, those other parts either need to come out or are very easy to change while the belt is out.
Be sure to get a new belt tensioner and all needed gaskets, if they are not in the kit.
One word of caution: Be sure you have a good workshop manual and good lighting. It is critical to be sure all the timing marks line up like they should, or engine will not run well or at all. On some cars a special tool is used to keep the overhead cams from moving while the belt is removed and installed.

OGOC

Jun 14, 2013
I'd be comfortable with a Dayco belt. I'd prefer a Gates belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.