Daycare - A this pisses me off thread by Sho'Nuff, the pasty white shogun of NH

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
You're an educated, patent attorney. Fine. Gotcha. You still came off as an asshole to the teacher and the daycare. Just because *YOU* feel you could have worded something together to address their concerns doesn't mean you *SHOULD*. As a lawyer, you should have recongnized that one of your asshole compadres *FORCED* the daycare to have just such a form. If anyone on this planet should have recognized what this form really meant and not bitched and moaned about it, it should have been you.

This is the wonderful thing about lawyers...when they become bound by some of the inane bullshit they've forced into general day-to-day living, all gloves are off, Dr. Jekyll is put away, and Mr. Hyde surfaces.

He's the asshole? Sorry, but the daycare dictating what his child can eat, or suggesting who can approve what the child eats, is a rather insulting act. I fully understand he can't send his child in with Skittles and Butterfingers, but it pretty clear that isn't what he is doing.

I'm sorry, but if someone tries to insist upon this kind of bullshit when the food being presented is of sound nutritional value, they're the ones being assholes. In general, rules and policies are to ensure that people don't abuse the system. This does not appear to be the case, so why mess with the guy who is a paying customer? Certainly one could make the requirement of him for a Dr's note if he is bringing in Kit Kats and Snickers for her lunch and insisting that she gets them, but if he is bringing in something she had been eating that they were providing just months ago??? WTF?

"I'm sorry sir, your daughter is now 367 days old and therefor must be eating Cherio brand Cherios or she'll fall behind her peers. If you would like her to eat something else you must provide a Dr's note."

This is what I am hearing from them, and you're fucking right it would piss me off. I'd be very inclined to be an asshole in this case. Also, the circumstances, in the OP's situation, are not such that the daughter only eats ketchup because that's all she likes. This is likely more a matter of things she's been accustomed to due to the circumstances of her last year of life being in and out of a hospital. FFS, you want to put a parent who has been through that through something this fucking trivial just to prove a point?

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Wow. No wonder he comes off as an entitled snob.

Reminder for ATOT: Hacp is the guy that felt entitled to steal his roommate's expensive ice cream, bleach the empty container, and throw in a generic equivalent as recompense.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
He's the asshole? Sorry, but the daycare dictating what his child can eat, or suggesting who can approve what the child eats, is a rather insulting act. I fully understand he can't send his child in with Skittles and Butterfingers, but it pretty clear that isn't what he is doing.

I'm sorry, but if someone tries to insist upon this kind of bullshit when the food being presented is of sound nutritional value, they're the ones being assholes. In general, rules and policies are to ensure that people don't abuse the system. This does not appear to be the case, so why mess with the guy who is a paying customer? Certainly one could make the requirement of him for a Dr's note if he is bringing in Kit Kats and Snickers for her lunch and insisting that she gets them, but if he is bringing in something she had been eating that they were providing just months ago??? WTF?

"I'm sorry sir, your daughter is now 367 days old and therefor must be eating Cherio brand Cherios or she'll fall behind her peers. If you would like her to eat something else you must provide a Dr's note."

This is what I am hearing from them, and you're fucking right it would piss me off. I'd be very inclined to be an asshole in this case. Also, the circumstances, in the OP's situation, are not such that the daughter only eats ketchup because that's all she likes. This is likely more a matter of things she's been accustomed to due to the circumstances of her last year of life being in and out of a hospital. FFS, you want to put a parent who has been through that through something this fucking trivial just to prove a point?

This. Plus it's a waste of his damn time to even have to deal with getting the form filled out. It's a pointless formality, likely designed to throw up a road block to the little bit of extra work involved in feeding one kid something different than anyone else. OP will know with certainty whether it's a matter of liability, but given that they asked for a doc's note and not a waiver, it's far less likely to be a cover your ass issue.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Dude. His kid had open heart surgery when she was like 4-5 months old. She's still catching up on the growth that she missed out on when she was tube fed. I think she can eat what the fuck she wants for a while. That sound ok?

but yet at 2 years old she is being pawned off to a daycare so mommy and daddy can both work.

fucking sad.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
How about not having children if you can't look after them?

Putting a 2 year old in child care is despicable.

People are so selfish these days, they want everything. 'I want kids, but I still want to work so I can still buy all the stuff I like'.

/thread

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
but yet at 2 years old she is being pawned off to a daycare so mommy and daddy can both work.

fucking sad.

People make choices that are right for them. The fact that they might not be right for (or to) you is not really a concern to me. I've long since learned to stop worrying about what others think about me, or what I might be doing. Life is less stressful that way. And I must be doing something right because I am doing fairly well for myself. I've got a great family, a good job, and relatively few worries. So judge all you want. I don't care.

FWIW, my wife and I work in large part so that our kids can have a nice childhood, go to college, pursue their dreams, etc. It is certainly a sacrifice to not see them every minute of every day. Spend two minutes with my children and me and it will be eminently obvious that I love my kids more than anything else in the world. I came home from work today and played superheroes with my son for an hour before I even changed my clothes. Can't imagine a better way to come home.

And it should be understood that it is my love for my kids that drove me to put them in the daycare that they are in. They aren't in a home daycare sitting around watching cartoons all day by themselves. They are in a wonderfully creative educational institution . . . that unfortunately happens to have a really irritating policy.

Last edited:

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Fuck, you know how much college is gonna cost in 18 years? We're dual income, but I'm hoping both my kidneys hold out another two decades so I can sell one of them to pay for it.