Daycare - A this pisses me off thread by Sho'Nuff, the pasty white shogun of NH

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
YOU ARE HER FATHER. Now, stop fucking bitching and whining on an internet forum and go get the fucking form signed? 10 minutes out of your day...done. She gets to eat what she likes to eat, the daycare is satisfied that your doctor is okay with her eating the food you're sending, and no more worries. I bet you all your daycare facilities in your area has this requirement. For fuck's sake...you make it sound like you have to give 3 pints of blood, a left testicle, 1/2 an ear lobe, and dig up 2oz of lint from your fucking bellybutton to resolve this situation. You don't want to know how many times me or my wife has had to get some form signed by so-and-so doctor for school/daycare in our 19 years of parenting.

What part of my post indicated that I did not get the form signed? That was done early this morning.

And with all due respect, I am exercising my right as a dutiful poster on this forum to bitch and moan about whatever I like. In this case I'm bitching about a topic that is particularly important to me, namely parental rights.

As for your experiences, I don't care. The fact that you and your wife had to have a doc sign a million forms is of no moment to the discussion at hand, which is more about parental rights and authority than it is about the "hassle" of getting the form signed.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Meh, kids will eat when they get hungry enough. Give it a couple weeks and I bet she's eating the food they serve her.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
so what are they feeding her that is so bad?

Its not that the food the daycare is providing is bad. Far from it. The problem is that my daughter only eats a couple of different solid foods right now, and will flat out refuse everything else except non solids. I simply want to provide the non-solid foods and solids she will eat, so that she can continue to gain weight and not tread water.

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
I'm along the lines of letting the child "starve" while at daycare. If she's being left at the daycare long enough that she gets to the point of starvation, and she refuses to eat what is offered... Darwin should be allowed to have his way with her.

Tell your one year old to man-up. Tell her that she's not special. She's not a beautiful or unique snowflake. She is the same decaying organic matter as everything else. If your other child is older, then you already know that the food thing comes in phases and waves, and it will pass. The child will survive, and she may discover new foods along the way...

Or take the kid out of the daycare. She's that special.

Really, she is. :p

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
My son was like that for a while. Still is to some extent. If he misses a meal, he just eats a bunch more at the next one.

The daycare is just covering their asses. I'm sure parents would send a bunch of junk food then you'd have kids complaining "why does she get that and I get this shit"...

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
I'm along the lines of letting the child "starve" while at daycare. If she's being left at the daycare long enough that she gets to the point of starvation, and she refuses to eat what is offered... Darwin should be allowed to have his way with her.

Tell your one year old to man-up. Tell her that she's not special. She's not a beautiful or unique snowflake. She is the same decaying organic matter as everything else. If your other child is older, then you already know that the food thing comes in phases and waves, and it will pass. The child will survive, and she may discover new foods along the way...

You are going to feel pretty stupid when you read the thread more carefully.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
How about not having children if you can't look after them?

Putting a 2 year old in child care is despicable.

People are so selfish these days, they want everything. 'I want kids, but I still want to work so I can still buy all the stuff I like'.

Quoted for idiocy.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

If you knew about the OP's daughter's health history, you wouldn't have posted this.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004

Boy, reading is hard, isn't it.

Oct 20, 2005
OP, while your point may have some validity, you sound like a douche.

You sound like the type of person who rarely has anything to rant about so when the opportunity does come, you over-exaggerate and say dumb shit like:

So let me get this straight. You can STARVE my child...

My signature? You know, her PARENT? The one who helped bring her into this world.

I would hate to have to deal with someone who talks the way you do.

Oct 20, 2005
And if you're paying $30,000/yr, you must be pretty smart to be making that much money, and thus should be smart enough to know that you could solve your problems by changing day cares. Oh wait, but then you wouldn't have anything to post about on ATOT...so that's out of the question. Hmm...

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
And if you're paying $30,000/yr, you must be pretty smart to be making that much money, and thus should be smart enough to know that you could solve your problems by changing day cares. Oh wait, but then you wouldn't have anything to post about on ATOT...so that's out of the question. Hmm...

Except changing day cares isn't that simple or fast. A good one, will likely have a waiting list.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
So it is pretty simple then.

#1 Comply with the request
or
#2 choose an alternative venue.

Choose one or the other and move one with life.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Allergy. Because people keep creating genetically inferior human beings who are allergic to many things that leads to death. You can't bring food from home to pre-K because children have no idea that they're allergic to and will share with other children, leading to fatalities. Thus, the school controls what the children eat to prevent death. That's the Cliffs Notes version for you.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Maybe it's because they don't want to have 50 different parents providing food for their children, which creates more work for the daycare staff. So they create an impediment.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Maybe it's because they don't want to have 50 different parents providing food for their children, which creates more work for the daycare staff. So they create an impediment.

Either that or they got sued and have to watch their back, I don't blame OP for being pissed but in our "someone's wrong, someone's gonna get sued" country every day care business has to have a set agenda they know is approved by a nutritionist and is legally OK..

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
OP, while your point may have some validity, you sound like a douche.

You sound like the type of person who rarely has anything to rant about so when the opportunity does come, you over-exaggerate and say dumb shit like:

I would hate to have to deal with someone who talks the way you do.

First, I'm entitled to act like a douche when it comes to the well being of my kids. But since we're acting like two year olds, you sound like a teenager who needs a kick in the nuts.

Second, the exchange I had with the daycare this morning was an exercise in the use of a straw man logical fallacy. I.e., the statements I made were not meant to be taken literally, but were intentionally exaggerated to show how ridiculous the daycare's policy is.

Third, why exactly should I be impressed or affected by your statement that you would hate to "deal with someone like me?" What? You don't want to "deal with" someone who has a strong and educated opinion about parental rights, and who is not afraid to challenge you (or anyone else) on it using an established argumentation strategy?

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007

I'm smart enough not to change daycare over a form. Rather, I'll speak to the director and see if their is a tenable rationale behind the requirement for the center's policy. If not, I'll work with them to try to have the policy changed.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
How about not having children if you can't look after them?

Putting a 2 year old in child care is despicable.

People are so selfish these days, they want everything. 'I want kids, but I still want to work so I can still buy all the stuff I like'.

You've got to be joking. o_O

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Third, why exactly should I be impressed or affected by your statement that you would hate to "deal with someone like me?" What? You don't want to "deal with" someone who has a strong and educated opinion about parental rights, and who is not afraid to challenge you (or anyone else) on it using an established argumentation strategy?

I thought you made up the word argumentation and was going to call you out on it. I looked it up. It's real. Fuck.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Allergy. Because people keep creating genetically inferior human beings who are allergic to many things that leads to death. You can't bring food from home to pre-K because children have no idea that they're allergic to and will share with other children, leading to fatalities. Thus, the school controls what the children eat to prevent death. That's the Cliffs Notes version for you.

This is a perfectly valid rationale. Except - the food I would be bringing in is for the most part food that the daycare already provides to their infant classes (i.e., the class that my daughter is transitioning from). We're talking applesauce, yogurt, strained carrots, etc. Stuff that is all over the daycare every single day.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Daycare... lol.

My wife and I did the math at one point. Unless one and their spouse are both highly educated and both pulling in high 6-figure salaries, daycare just isn't worth it.

For the typical American family, we'll go with a number of around 45k/year for wages. Let's go with the OP's number of 30k+/year for daycare. You're netting an additional ~15k for your spouse to work? Sure you get some of that back in taxes... but still. And that will get eaten up by high medical care since daycare kids invariably get sick more often.

If you make more money, GREAT! But then you and your spouse are paying more in taxes too!

Long and the short of it is it's actually more economical and far more beneficial for someone to stay at home with the child until they're old enough to go to school. Sounds wasteful, but it's not.

My wife? She's working again, part time. The rub? She gets to take the little ones to work with her. She works at an indoor kid play place. :)

You're overlooking the social aspect of daycare as well. My children love daycare. They enjoy it and they enjoy meeting their friends.

If you think about it having a kid staying home all day with just one parent probably isn't the most natural thing in the world. Certainly our ancestors never lived like that. Kids were raised within a tribe with many other kids.