Daycare - A this pisses me off thread by Sho'Nuff, the pasty white shogun of NH

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
You are not taking into account of career opportunities to move up. We scraped by with 2 in daycare at first but years later both our careers have advanced while cost of daycare has dropped with them moving into after school care only. I have dealt with stay at home parents. They are a weird bunch with hours of only kids to talk to.....

And what is it that this extra money you make yields?

And how much do you value "raising your child"?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
OP, didn't read the 3 pages prior but my guess is you can thank your state bureaucrats.

<--has a daycare.

Required to have neosporin in the 1st aid kit. Can't use on a kid without a signed consent.

We turned in our app to Dept Social Services 2/15/2012. Call ~3/15, employee says, "It didn't get to my desk til last week and I have 30 days to review it." There are 9 bodies in the local office. Useless twit.

We're done with renovations, ready to open and DSS asks for our lead paint test certification. No where in the guidelines is that required. "Yeah, I know but I want one anyway." EFFING USELESS TWIT.....cost me another grand and another week delay.

We don't cook with grease so we don't need a fire hood but DSS fire marshal makes us cut and cap the wires for all the burners on the NEW EFFING STOVE. Suggested we put a piece of plywood on to to cover the holes.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
OP, didn't read the 3 pages prior but my guess is you can thank your state bureaucrats.

<--has a daycare.

Required to have neosporin in the 1st aid kit. Can't use on a kid without a signed consent.

We turned in our app to Dept Social Services 2/15/2012. Call ~3/15, employee says, "It didn't get to my desk til last week and I have 30 days to review it." There are 9 bodies in the local office. Useless twit.

We're done with renovations, ready to open and DSS asks for our lead paint test certification. No where in the guidelines is that required. "Yeah, I know but I want one anyway." EFFING USELESS TWIT.....cost me another grand and another week delay.

We don't cook with grease so we don't need a fire hood but DSS fire marshal makes us cut and cap the wires for all the burners on the NEW EFFING STOVE. Suggested we put a piece of plywood on to to cover the holes.:rolleyes:

We used to have a daycare. Shut it down for two reasons 1) Freeloading parents and 2) The hoops you have to jump through to get and keep certification.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004

I'd guess the extra money could go towards giving your child more and better opportunities, maybe even set aside some money for a college fund so they don't have to go into as much debt as they otherwise would.

As for the second point, doesn't seem worth arguing since you are convinced that child care is evil.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005

You are still "raising your child" even if they spend part of their day at a care facility. It isn't an all or nothing deal.

Still, $30K for child care is crazy. I think we spent about $500 a month for my daughter.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
I'd guess the extra money could go towards giving your child more and better opportunities, maybe even set aside some money for a college fund so they don't have to go into as much debt as they otherwise would.

College tuition has been going up 10-15% on yearly basis past few years. Good luck keeping up with that.

Fact that everyone and their mother goes to college now, it devalues the degree as well. It' no longer a privilege aka "something special".

It's also not YOUR responsibility as a parent to pay for college....

If you really care about giving your child more and better opportunities look NO further than YOURSELF to do that FOR THEM.

No one, I mean NO ONE will EVER do it FOR YOU.

As for the second point, doesn't seem worth arguing since you are convinced that child care is evil.

I never said that, Child care is necessary/need for millions.

You are still "raising your child" even if they spend part of their day at a care facility. It isn't an all or nothing deal.

I never said you weren't....

But in general young children (0-6 years old) do require a lot of parent supervision/attention.

It's hard to do that when both parents work > get back from work to dinner/cleaning and other responsibilities in every day life.

I will tell you right now, my wife stayed at home during those ages and I got home at 4:10 each and every day........ and we still didn't feel like we have given them the attention they really need at that age.

Take it how you want it.

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
most have this rule.

makes some sense. the idea of them eating what they are given at school is to get them eating new things. Also it the side issue of some kid bringing in name brand and another having fruit or generic.

to be honest i think the op is being slightly childish. this rule was in the paperwork he signed when he put his kids in.

It was not in the paper work we signed.

And I'm all for my daughter trying new things. But not at the expense of her not eating at all. All parties involved think that not eating is a bad thing. The only issue I have is with the fact that I can't authorize the school to provide alternative food. Rather, I have to get some third party who has no legal capacity over my daughter to authorize that decision.

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Daycare... lol.
For the typical American family, we'll go with a number of around 45k/year for wages. Let's go with the OP's number of 30k+/year for daycare. You're netting an additional ~15k for your spouse to work? Sure you get some of that back in taxes... but still. And that will get eaten up by high medical care since daycare kids invariably get sick more often.

My wife works for several reasons:

1. She makes enough to make it worthwhile
2. She wants to continue her career after the kids are out of childcare
3. Her job provides the health insurance for our family, which saves us many thousands per year.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
It's a liability thing. While you are the one choosing the meal, they are the ones physically giving it to her. If for some reason she chokes on her strained carrots or you accidentally replace her juice box with Drano, you could still sue the shit out of them.

Pshaw. The liability concern would be easily resolved with a waiver, which I would gladly sign.

It is also arguable if the school's liability exposure is any different by them feeding food that I provide, vs. food that they provide. The risks are the same. Heck, in some instances the FOOD is the same.

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
I'm sure a simple phone call to the doc and the form faxed over will suffice. No need to spend the copay money on a visit.

OP - be prepared to fill out doc forms to allow the school to apply sunscreen to your kid. That I thought was messed up. You would think it would be the opposite - a doc note NOT to apply sunscreen.

I'm fine with all the other forms, because I can fill them out myself. I don't need doctor approval. Which makes this situation even more ass backward. I can authorize the school to apply a chemical solution to my kid, but I can't authorize the school to feed her apple sauce and mushed bananas that I would provide?

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
It was not in the paper work we signed.

And I'm all for my daughter trying new things. But not at the expense of her not eating at all. All parties involved think that not eating is a bad thing. The only issue I have is with the fact that I can't authorize the school to provide alternative food. Rather, I have to get some third party who has no legal capacity over my daughter to authorize that decision.

Don't worry, once the hunger sets in, she WILL eat whatever is in front of her.

Try it sometime ;)

Not eating ONE meal a day is NOT a bad thing AT ALL. You realize that 30k children die every day of hunger every day right? And MILLIONS of children don't even eat 1 meal a day.......your kid will be JUST FINE

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Two things:

1) If this daycare is taking any federal or state money, they are probably bound to state/federal regulation.

2) As for determining your kids food for lunch, hope you aren't in one of those school districts that have banned all outside food. This is what happens when the Feds control the purse strings.

Call me a bastard, but I don't understand why society feels that it needs to regulate based on outliers. Some kids have allergies, therefore all kids can;t bring in food. Some kids feelings might get hurt, so all kids can't play dodgeball. Its ridiculous.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Don't worry, once the hunger sets in, she WILL eat whatever is in front of her.

Try it sometime ;)

Not eating ONE meal a day is NOT a bad thing AT ALL. You realize that 30k children die every day of hunger every day right? And MILLIONS of children don't even eat 1 meal a day.......your kid will be JUST FINE

Generally I would agree with you. But my daughter was born with a significant heart defect and is very, very small for her age. At 15lbs at 14 months, she is barely on the growth chart for weight, and for a long time she wasn't on the weight chart at all. She needs all the calories she can get. If this issue was with my son, I would have long since stopped worrying about it. He is healthy as a horse and can miss a meal (or 5) and be fine.

As for stats, I don't care if 30 million kids fly to the moon every day on fart propelled rockets. I'm interested in what is best for my daughter. The predicament of other kids, however heartbreaking, is irrelevant to this particular discussion

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
We used to have a daycare. Shut it down for two reasons 1) Freeloading parents and 2) The hoops you have to jump through to get and keep certification.
Now you tell me.:colbert:

:p

#1 hasn't been a problem, don't pay for the current week and you can't drop your kid for the next. So far we've lost $160 for non-payment since 6-1-2012.

Would not recommend it as a money maker. Monthly expenses are stupid.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Call me a bastard, but I don't understand why society feels that it needs to regulate based on outliers. Some kids have allergies, therefore all kids can;t bring in food. Some kids feelings might get hurt, so all kids can't play dodgeball. Its ridiculous.
QFT.

You'll get it worked out.

Never knew a kid with peanut allergies, growing up. Maybe they had already exited the gene pool.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
For those of you that might have missed my point, let me put it another way.

A year ago, I signed paperwork that allowed a surgeon to knock my then 2.5 month old daughter unconscious, slice her chest open from neck to stomach, carve through her breast bone, stop her heart, put her on bypass, make an incision in her heart, repair a congenital heart defect, restart her heart, and close her up. The procedure caused her to suffer with a collapsed lung for the better part of a week in a pediatric ICU. It was a horrific experience and far more difficult, risky, and important decision to have to make. Yet I could make it because I AM HER FATHER.

So yeah, it pisses me off when a daycare tells me that I can't sign a form authorizing them to feed her an alternative menu.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I think they do this to discourage people from abusing this. Otherwise they need to prepare whatever you bring it in, and they probably figure without a doctor's permission people could just bring in bad food like soda and chocolate for the kids.

They are really just protecting the kids from shitty parents.

Oh I am not looking forward to 2 children in day care. Our 1st still has 2 more years and our second is on his way. It's crazy expensive, but she has learned so much so it's worth it.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

A year ago, I signed paperwork that allowed a surgeon to knock my then 2.5 month old daughter unconscious, slice her chest open from neck to stomach, carve through her breast bone, stop her heart, put her on bypass, make an incision in her heart, repair a congenital heart defect, restart her heart, and close her up. The procedure caused her to suffer with a collapsed lung for the better part of a week in a pediatric ICU. It was a horrific experience and far more difficult, risky, and important decision to have to make. Yet I could make it because I AM HER FATHER.

So yeah, it pisses me off when a daycare tells me that I can't sign a form authorizing them to feed her an alternative menu.

There's a difference between saving her life and goldfish crackers bro.

Seriously - just find another daycare.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
There's a difference between saving her life and goldfish crackers bro.

Seriously - just find another daycare.

I sense sarcasm here, but that is exactly my point! There is a big damn difference between authorizing surgery and authorizing goldfish crackers.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I think they do this to discourage people from abusing this. Otherwise they need to prepare whatever you bring it in, and they probably figure without a doctor's permission people could just bring in bad food like soda and chocolate for the kids.

They are really just protecting the kids from shitty parents.

Oh I am not looking forward to 2 children in day care. Our 1st still has 2 more years and our second is on his way. It's crazy expensive, but she has learned so much so it's worth it.

They could still lay out a policy, saying you can bring food from home but here are some banned items. You can't send your child to daycare with non-child-friendly toys so why should food be any different?

Our daycare is very laid back about all this, but they still don't allow peanuts. Better safe than sorry I guess. And I'm sure if I sent in a bottle full of soda, they wouldn't give it to my baby.

TheFamilyMan

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2003

YOU ARE HER FATHER. Now, stop fucking bitching and whining on an internet forum and go get the fucking form signed? 10 minutes out of your day...done. She gets to eat what she likes to eat, the daycare is satisfied that your doctor is okay with her eating the food you're sending, and no more worries. I bet you all your daycare facilities in your area has this requirement. For fuck's sake...you make it sound like you have to give 3 pints of blood, a left testicle, 1/2 an ear lobe, and dig up 2oz of lint from your fucking bellybutton to resolve this situation. You don't want to know how many times me or my wife has had to get some form signed by so-and-so doctor for school/daycare in our 19 years of parenting.