Day of Defeat source: How do we get better FPS?

Im running
3000+ NF4 mobo
2 gigs of ram
7800gt
2005fpw

Im running 1600x900 with hdr (and off, doesnt seem to matter), details high, 2x antialiasing and anistropic. Im getting 30-40 starting off in spawn then 15-25 in action.
I switched down to 1280x760 and it didnt matter if hdr was off or on and same with antialiasing, details were on high, i got around the same FPS maybe 5 more.

Im getting the same FPS either running 1280 or 1600, i tried new drivers and old and even reformatted. Im getting 7100 on 3dmark05 which is on par with others i compare to.

This is rediculous that a machine like mine cant handle this game with higher FPS. Is anyone else having luck tweaking this game or getting better fps?

ender11122

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2005
I dunno dude, I run my 2005fpw at native res on a x800xl and I can get way better FPS. Here is my setup
A64 3000+ @ 2.7ghz
1.5 g ram
x800xl
with all settings high I hold steady at 40, with AA and AF off or on low I get a steady 60.

I know the 7800 has to be faster, maybe its driver problems or something.

Feb 19, 2001
Ugh are you telling me my 7800GT w/ 3700+ and 1gb RAM can't handle this? I can run BF2 @ 1280x1024 4xAA, 8xAF no problems. Maybe a little jerky (RAM issue) when I have Azureus and FF open, but other than that it's great. I can run FEAR fine, but damn.. I hope my computer doesn't die in DoD.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Hmmm...

I benched an ansio timedemo going from the beach then running around the town at 67-70fps with the following settings:

1680x1050
High Quality setting in nvidia controls
4AA/16AF all High/ Reflect All
Forced Trilinear mimpaps
Multisampling Trans AA

Bascially everything but Trans AA cranked up as high as possible... lowest I ever get are like 40-45

---

There is a thread over on steam forums that talks about sound eating CPU cycles and degrading performance.... from what they say, Source is software based sound totally

Try running a bench using -nosound addition to "launch options" by rightclicking in the DOD icon in steam. , I'm about to myself

No change at all for me either, i even tried the latest guru3d driver, i dont know what the hell is going on here.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
In my case I think things are ok. 70fps with everything cranked to hell is pretty good

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
you can spend days trying to figure orrr.

buck .. its time to format ... ^___^ and then isntall SP2 Latest drivers ... i tell's you it will run 100% super fast ... Windows is the problem ..

Originally posted by: videoclone
you can spend days trying to figure orrr.

buck .. its time to format ... ^___^ and then isntall SP2 Latest drivers ... i tell's you it will run 100% super fast ... Windows is the problem ..

Well the sad thing is, that i formatted today, getting the same FPS i was getting yesterday.

Can other people post SS of FPS in a game in a firefight?

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
^_^ maybe there's something wrong with your ram, videocard, CPU /
Hardware problem. .. that kinda thing. Have you got anything you can swop and test?

^_^ maybe there's something wrong with your ram, videocard, CPU /
Hardware problem. .. that kinda thing. Have you got anything you can swop and test?

I have another video card here (x800xl), it didnt do so hot either. Beats the sam hell outta me.

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
Ok well thats 1 down .. 3 more to go ... RAM > test > CPU more test > Motherboard >

you can even try taking out some ram and only run it with 1Gb !! ^___^

Is the ram CL 3 or 3.5 -4 or is it 2.5 ? maybe i'm grasping at straws but at least i'm grasping at something because in all instances a format should fix your problem

you can also go through the drivers make sure everything is on lowest QTY settings ( just for testing sakes. )

Ill try different mobo drivers (tried video) and switch to 1 gig of ram tomorrow. cl2.5

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
Ohh you can also try running the game in normal mode not wide screen mode .. just to test that its not some DOD glitch with those funky wide screen resolutions settings and if it is I?m sure valve will bring out a patch for it soon enough.

Good luck ^___^ i'm off

Ohh you can also try running the game in normal mode not wide screen mode .. just to test that its not some DOD glitch with those funky wide screen resolutions settings and if it is I?m sure valve will bring out a patch for it soon enough.

Good luck ^___^ i'm off

ty

Well looks like something worked, i got so frustrated and tried about 10 things.....

I took out a gig of ram
Took out tv tuner card
reinstalled drivers for my mobo using live update (instead of manually)
reinstalled video card drivers
updated bios
overclocked cpu using a higher fsb than before

I am getting FPS now reaching over 100 in very slow areas and in the 30-40's+ in firefights and 60-80 running around.

I am running all setttings on high using 1600x1000 (or whatever is close to that).

I had the last two days off to play this game and i get it fixed an hour before i have to leave for work today.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Getting around 35-45fps in spawn and 20-30fps in action at 1280x760 with 4xAA/8xAF doesn't sound right at all with your system.

I've only got a gig of ram, and my video card is only a vanilla, overclocked 6600 (not even near GT speeds), and at 1280x960 with no AA but 8xAF I get about the same fps, on all high settings with HDR. There's no way your 7800GT + AA gets the same fps as my rig.

Were you able to figure out what the problem was?

Originally posted by: Avalon
Getting around 35-45fps in spawn and 20-30fps in action at 1280x760 with 4xAA/8xAF doesn't sound right at all with your system.

I've only got a gig of ram, and my video card is only a vanilla, overclocked 6600 (not even near GT speeds), and at 1280x960 with no AA but 8xAF I get about the same fps, on all high settings with HDR. There's no way your 7800GT + AA gets the same fps as my rig.

Were you able to figure out what the problem was?

As soon as i got it to work with my system it was time to leave for work. I still have the gig of ram out of my computer, i still have to overclock my cpu a little more as well as the video card for max performance. I will be putting the other gig of ram back in the computer and see what kind of performance results i will get with it.

compgeek89

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2004
w/My rig Im at 60-80 FPS at 1600x1200, FULL AA and AF, All other settings and HDR max.

(SIG)

Originally posted by: compgeek89
w/My rig Im at 60-80 FPS at 1600x1200, FULL AA and AF, All other settings and HDR max.

(SIG)

How about a SS in heavy action with smoke? (make sure you have cl_showfps 1 on;)).