Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
So, initial thoughts on the game are that it is very fun, they do the corruption thing perfect, it is very tempting to go corrupt even when you are trying to walk the line of the emperor :p

Very fun times, anyone on the fence who would enjoy a good story line, jump on this. It is very well written and lots of fun.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I've started the Chaos Rising campaign, only reached the second mission, so far it's good, also the Chaos Sorcerer in The Last Stand is a very good addition, in combination with a Space Marine and a Hive Tyrant I've reached Wave 13 on my first try, I'm very pleased so far, and finally we have the more-than-one-year-in-the-waiting melee and ranged stances, also in The Last Stand they've finally fixed the custom colors/units theme bug which nulled the said custom configuration of your chosen Hero if you were not placed in the first slot of the team, now it's gone and whatever is your position during match-making you will have your custom colors in-game.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I've started the Chaos Rising campaign, only reached the second mission, so far it's good, also the Chaos Sorcerer in The Last Stand is a very good addition, in combination with a Space Marine and a Hive Tyrant I've reached Wave 13 on my first try, I'm very pleased so far, and finally we have the more-than-one-year-in-the-waiting melee and ranged stances, also in The Last Stand they've finally fixed the custom colors/units theme bug which nulled the said custom configuration of your chosen Hero if you were not placed in the first slot of the team, now it's gone and whatever is your position during match-making you will have your custom colors in-game.

my only complaint is the hive tyrant is a terrible melee hero - he's so big that when you get into combat, he has to around so much to get in position for attack. if they can fix this, he will be much better.

so far, venom cannon FTW (my tyrant is lvl 10 atm)

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Well, blasted through the first mission at 6am before work on Primarch and I have to say.... Good fun but damn thats hard.... random IG one-shotting marines is funny and disturbing.

Love how you can re-skill your Marines after the first fight. Nullifies most of the issue I was going to have with the game I expected to have a static skill base which meant unless I played the first campaign again, I'd have gimped marines... Very glad this is not the case.

TLS will have to wait. I can't imagine I'll want to leave my SM behind though... too good :)

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
By the time I went to sleep last night the game still didn't work correctly for me. Pretty frustrating. No time to check right now.

ramj70

Aug 24, 2004
By the time I went to sleep last night the game still didn't work correctly for me. Pretty frustrating. No time to check right now.

Did you check the relic forums? I think some people were having trouble if they had any mods from the first game.

BTW, anyone want my free steam copy of Saints Row 2? I will not play it. First to reply gets it.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I appear to have fixed it by switching graphics pre-sets. The intro level really accentuates how terrible I am at this.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
So again Relic overdoes it with the balancing and now we have uber-strong lightning claw terminators killing everything. Then there are banshees immune to ranged fire.

But now I get wraith guards and garrison-able brightlances and d-cannons, so I am not complaining.

gamerguy2

Aug 9, 2008
I bought the expansion for the multiplayer. I played for the first time last night. Pretty good. Except I can only play Farseer and 2 of the Marine commanders. I still am beat up pretty good. I was thinking of trying Commando Nob because I like his anti-vehicle. I play as Tulkas2009 in 3vs3. I work late and prefer the larger battles.

Anyone know the hotkey for sending a global beacon? ie. The pointer when you want to show your allies something. I googled it and had very little luck finding a list of hotkeys. dow2info.com says their hotkeys are outdated right on the website.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Is anyone else experiencing sound-related issues in Chaos Rising? For some reason most of the campaign's dialog (from characters such as Angelos, Tarkus, Avitus, etc.) is often switching in clarity, sometimes it sounds clear, and the next second it sounds as if they were speaking behind a pillow, or choked. I never experienced anything like that in vanilla DoW II that's for sure.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Is anyone else experiencing sound-related issues in Chaos Rising? For some reason most of the campaign's dialog (from characters such as Angelos, Tarkus, Avitus, etc.) is often switching in clarity, sometimes it sounds clear, and the next second it sounds as if they were speaking behind a pillow, or choked. I never experienced anything like that in vanilla DoW II that's for sure.

People have been reporting graphics and sound problems with the chaos rising update. Relic has said it will be releasing a patch to correct these issues. Check the official forums for details.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Played through the first mission and it crashed whenever I tried to start the second. Patch came up and now the level will start but won't load any unit or building graphics. So I can still select the unit but all I get is a bunch of circles. It is like they are invisible. Still have the map and weapon effect graphics.

Same deal in multiplayer (which made it very hard to fight when all their units were invisible... had to wait for them to fire to see where to click to attack :p).

Guess I have to wait for another patch.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I am having some sound issues whereby the sound is stuttering or mini 1-2 second looping in instances. This typically happens when there is a lot of dakka dakka on screen.

Another sound issue is one that occurs randomly. The voices are playing find then suddenly one voice drops to a slightly lower quality and goes much quieter.

Biggest issue I am having is registering my copy of CR at myTHQ.com. I have tried the CD key provided in my DVD case and the CD key that Steam shows (which is different) but to no avail. I have a set of 6 pieces of wargear to pick up which are probably naff but good to scrap for XP :)

Tried the game on Primarch and found it extremely difficult. I have dropped down two difficulty notches just to see if I can get the hang of DoW2 again after such a long time without playing.

I have to say, I have only just completed the third mission but there are some monumental battles and some immersive touches which are done well. Feeling slightly disappointed about a small piece of the story which has just occured but we'll see how it pans out.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
I got this from another thread on the sound stuttering/graphics issues
DOW 2

However if u have the crashbug and try to turn off AA the game will crash and nothing will change. So you will have to go open ur configuration.lua file with notepad and find antialiasing and set it to '0' instead of one. Then if you have the Catalyst control center for ATI cards you will have to set it to 'Application managed'. All you have to do afterwards is start the game and so far I've had no texture bug or crashes (at the sacrifice of slightly worse off graphics... lol Chaos expansion and to play it you have to sacrifice something....the irony...)

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Well, I reached what I assumed was the final battle and successfully completed the required objectives with the Emperor's finest soldiers remaining pure and loyal to the Emperor...... and promptly crashed as the final speech was given within the mission.

Ergo.. when I loaded back up it had not picked up that I completed the mission and will have to do it all over again... Can't complain, it was about as colossal as final missions get.

The story has some interesting twists (which can easily change) and the banter between the Space Marines is much more fun. I have to say that your Commander should just be a character in the story, instead of 'yourself'. He could have been used so creatively to set against the Space Marine squad members, engaging in banter and exchanges of harsh, heretical verbals further enhancing the storyline.

Sound stutter is doing my head in... but I have just read Gothgar's post and going to make sure AA is disabled in my CCC because I have already checked my .lua. Tends to happen with massed bolter fire and assault cannon chatter, when many sound channels are used simultaneously. I do not appear to get the graphics stutter, crashes or texture bugs but I most certainly get the sound stutter. This is hugely apparent in a simple test using the in-game benchmarker.

Currently on my second playthrough using a slightly different squad loadout and aiming to be completely corrupt.

Toyed with the Sorcerer and Hive Tyrant and they are both quite interesting. Sorcerer is weak but when used properly can be an amazingly efficient in the early rounds whilst the Hive Tyrant is slow and cumbersome with some useful summons. Only had 1 game with each class but they are most certainly interesting.

Relic outdid themselves and turned perhaps a 'marmite' RTS in DoW2 into something very nicely polished, varying and interesting. For only £17 ($26), the bargain of the year already :)

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
Well, I reached what I assumed was the final battle and successfully completed the required objectives with the Emperor's finest soldiers remaining pure and loyal to the Emperor...... and promptly crashed as the final speech was given within the mission.

Ergo.. when I loaded back up it had not picked up that I completed the mission and will have to do it all over again... Can't complain, it was about as colossal as final missions get.

The story has some interesting twists (which can easily change) and the banter between the Space Marines is much more fun. I have to say that your Commander should just be a character in the story, instead of 'yourself'. He could have been used so creatively to set against the Space Marine squad members, engaging in banter and exchanges of harsh, heretical verbals further enhancing the storyline.

Sound stutter is doing my head in... but I have just read Gothgar's post and going to make sure AA is disabled in my CCC because I have already checked my .lua. Tends to happen with massed bolter fire and assault cannon chatter, when many sound channels are used simultaneously. I do not appear to get the graphics stutter, crashes or texture bugs but I most certainly get the sound stutter. This is hugely apparent in a simple test using the in-game benchmarker.

Currently on my second playthrough using a slightly different squad loadout and aiming to be completely corrupt.

Toyed with the Sorcerer and Hive Tyrant and they are both quite interesting. Sorcerer is weak but when used properly can be an amazingly efficient in the early rounds whilst the Hive Tyrant is slow and cumbersome with some useful summons. Only had 1 game with each class but they are most certainly interesting.

Relic outdid themselves and turned perhaps a 'marmite' RTS in DoW2 into something very nicely polished, varying and interesting. For only £17 ($26), the bargain of the year already :)

What difficulty were you playing on

I was on hardest first playthrough... the last boss took about an hour, literally, no joke at all. I probably woulda been super fucking pissed had I spent an hour on that ass and had to do it all again, lol

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
What difficulty were you playing on

I was on hardest first playthrough... the last boss took about an hour, literally, no joke at all. I probably woulda been super fucking pissed had I spent an hour on that ass and had to do it all again, lol

I believe I was on Captain difficulty. I started off on Primarch but it royally pee'd me off. I am too casual in my play to step up to that level of difficulty I am afraid to say.

Second playthrough with a fully corrupt and alternative use squad is on the same difficulty and I am running an Easy Mode pure game just for fun, testing out certain skills and abilities that I will have overlooked.

The final boss is akin to the Ork Warboss in DoW2. Insane HP, insane regen, AoE skills out the wazoo and summons in many large evil forces during the fight. Exploiting the AI is the only real way to go here.... Thaddeus chainstun or abusing Cyrus with a long sight range and using Avitus outside of the mobs sight range.

One thing that still seriously annoys me is that certain mobs can still 1 shot non-sargeant marines, even on Easy Mode. I know SM's don't have plot armour and can die but they are 1 shotted too often. I saw a Traitor IG instagib one of Thaddeus' squad members and blew him into red chunks with a flashlight.

Regarding the sound stuttering issue, I have disabled AA in the configuration.lua file and in the CCC but to no avail. I am still facing that problem.

Tarkus + Sterguard + Dragonfire Bolts + Any Storm Bolter = mass devastation :)