Dawkins 1 - Creationists 0

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
And without omnipotence, god isnt really god. He becomes some extracorporeal alien being. The idea that god created the universe and the laws of physics sort of makes omnipotence necessary.

During highschool (catholic) and undergraduate (secular), I took several courses in philosophy of religion and metaphysical thought. The initial premise that was debated was always the nature of God. We tried several definitions that did not include omnipotence, omniscience or omnipresence. None of these definitions resulted in a being that could be considered the "supreme being", they all became essentially the same as the ancient mythic gods. The prescence of weaknesses are inconsistant with the idea of "supreme".

The kicker is the omnibenevolent(christian) or omnijust(islamic), (it is a debate amongst jewish scholars which they follow).

Nicely said. From my understanding, omnibenevolent and omnijust can coexist. I look at it like a parent who punishes a child to prevent that child from growing up to be a hellion. Of course, the fine balace required to be both is beyond the power of humans to maintain.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Invalid inference. You do not know that you have any evidence, since you cannot logically exclude that what you believe to be evidence is in fact a supernatural illusion. You take the alleged evidence on faith that this is not the case.

I understand it thoroughly. I also understand whether deliberately or not, you are apparently too ignorant to grasp it yourself.

There you go, being stupid on purpose again. You are just trolling, we all understand it. Now go back out and play in the sand box with the kittens who have been scratching in it.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Show me that the universe actually did begin before you expect me to explain the beginning you don't even know to exist.

You win, you took the Forum Jester title away from Ausm. It is obvious you are posting this stuff to make us look at you funny, point, and laugh at you.

I have to admit, I really did not expect anyone to work as hard as you to become the new forum jester!

Heh...I am still chuckling...

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
There you go, being stupid on purpose again. You are just trolling, we all understand it. Now go back out and play in the sand box with the kittens who have been scratching in it.

I noticed no rebuttal to my argument, so it remains unassailed.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You win, you took the Forum Jester title away from Ausm. It is obvious you are posting this stuff to make us look at you funny, point, and laugh at you.

I have to admit, I really did not expect anyone to work as hard as you to become the new forum jester!

Heh...I am still chuckling...

Bluff and bluster.

You're invited to demonstrate that a beginning of the universe exists.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You had no argument, you simply trolled.
False. If you cannot exclude the possibility that you are being unwittingly deceived, you must assume it is false on faith. Therefore, your a posteriori beliefs are faith-based.

:D I love your humor! You are funny! I was right when I said you took over as the forum jester. Gingle Gingle...you even have the bent little bells on your hat and shoes.
The invitation remains. I won't be holding my breath.

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
If you are looking for experimental evolution showing how it works here is a great link.

http://myxo.css.msu.edu/ecoli/

I'm really happy that you added that study to this deteriorating discussion. That is one of the finest examples of lab-observed evolution that I know of. Also, it doesn't hurt that it is being done at MSU. GO GREEN!

I covered that one already, where has the bacteria failed to be a bacteria? Where did it change species and create a completely new species. Has it gained sentience?

You do not understand the theory of evolution. Not even a little bit. With this comment, you have verified that you are not doing anything here but attempting to refute a straw man version of the theory of evolution.

So, congratulations, you've managed to destroy the imaginary theory which states that single-celled organisms will turn into sentient creatures within 20-some years of lab work. Too bad for you, though, NO SCIENTIST is proposing that outlandish theory in the first place.

That study DOES confirm what the actual theory of evolution predicts: a beneficial random mutation will be selected for, given the proper environmental pressures; those with the beneficial mutation will out-compete those without the mutation; and the mutation will eventually become pervasive throughout the population.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I'm really happy that you added that study to this deteriorating discussion. That is one of the finest examples of lab-observed evolution that I know of. Also, it doesn't hurt that it is being done at MSU. GO GREEN!

That is an interesting study. I read the overview but I did not see any of their to date findings. Are you or Paul98 able to explain what is going on with the study?

It is sad to have to say this to provide background to the question, but here is my disclaimer: I support the current theory of evolution. This means my question is not a setup, but an honest one. :)

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
That is an interesting study. I read the overview but I did not see any of their to date findings. Are you or Paul98 able to explain what is going on with the study?

It is sad to have to say this to provide background to the question, but here is my disclaimer: I support the current theory of evolution. This means my question is not a setup, but an honest one. :)

This Wikipedia entry does a pretty good job of explaining the study: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._coli_long-term_evolution_experiment

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010

Heck yeah GO WHITE!

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Ignoring the argument by excluding it from your response does not make it go away. It just makes you a liar.

You show your support first, then we continue. Until you do, you are just a troll with bells on your hat and shoes.
I do not have to support a claim I have not made.

You are still invited to demonstrate that the universe began to exist.