David wells should be in the hof

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
I’m. Red Sox fansinde 1983 I know SABR underrated him but I think it’s bs he isn’t in

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
It's because baseball is so damn boring that even baseball fans think statistics are more interesting than the game. In baseball, the perfect game is one in which nothing at all happens.

boooo

perfect games are the biggest nailbiters in all of sports

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Wells almost had 2 of them in the same season. If only he drank one more beer in September.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
David Wells was a very good MLB pitcher who certainly had his moments of looking awesome

He is however a "borderline" HOF candidate at best IMO when the likes of Andy Petite and David Cone somehow don't make the grade. (Petite in particular was one of the toughest "big game" pitchers I've ever seen)

Last edited:

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
It's because baseball is so damn boring that even baseball fans think statistics are more interesting than the game.
This is exactly my take. There was some instagram post about someone's batted ball exit velocity of 108mph... on a ground ball in the infield. I mean, W T F was the point of that???

How about snot rocket exit velocity next time?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
This is exactly my take. There was some instagram post about someone's batted ball exit velocity of 108mph... on a ground ball in the infield. I mean, W T F was the point of that???

How about snot rocket exit velocity next time?

I'm a huge and life-long baseball fan and even I get extremely aggravated with some of the meaningless/redundant stats people keep track of these days.

Problem is some famous idiot like Joe Buck spouts out something like a HR exit-velocity in a post-season game, it goes viral right afterwards and suddenly its a thing everyone has to do on every dinger.

Thing is that once in a great while in a playoff game and/or off the bat of a big star that kind of minutia actually IS interesting to a baseball fan... the rest of the time not so much.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
David wells? NFW.
21 Seasons to get 239 wins.
That a little over 11 wins per season.
Plus that ugly 4.13 ERA
Good pitcher, but the HOF isn't there for good pitchers.

Reactions: Captante

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
He was that good fat southpaw pitcher on the Yankees. Fatter than Roider Clemens.

I checked out of baseball after Ripken retired plus I never had cable...

So, Nationals World Series might as well have never happened...I'm stuck waiting for a real Washington championship from its football team and the Montreal Canadiens to nab a Stanley Cup again.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
David wells? NFW.
21 Seasons to get 239 wins.
That a little over 11 wins per season.
Plus that ugly 4.13 ERA
Good pitcher, but the HOF isn't there for good pitchers.

LOL, this. No offense to anyone, but anyone who thinks a pitcher with a career 4.13 ERA is missing all kind of smarts LOL....

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Era isn’t the end all be all, unless it’s a vacuum, David wells pitched big games against pitchers on par or better than him and more often than not he was better that day. He’s the ideal 2/3 you want in an CLS/ws era too myopic

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
off-off-topic - one of my exes was a Russian girl and she had her own little coterie of Russian friends in the NY-NJ area.

So, a bunch of them were at one of their home and the subject of pitching speed came up. One of her very close friends could NOT be convinced that MLB pitchers could regularly launch balls in excess of 100 mph.

In hindsight, maybe he was using some fakakta conversion math to get from miles to km. So I have no way of knowing how he perceived this. But he was truly aghast.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Era isn’t the end all be all, unless it’s a vacuum, David wells pitched big games against pitchers on par or better than him and more often than not he was better that day. He’s the ideal 2/3 you want in an CLS/ws era too myopic

LOL, ETA is about the closest thing to end all be all that you can have in any sport. The sole goal of the pitcher is to keep the enemy from scoring runs. ERA *is* that statistic. Now, you seem to be saying that he was better (i.e. had a lower ERA) when it was critical, i.e. he was better in the clutch, with a lower ERA in the clutch. I will give you that if a pitcher has a lower ERA in the playoffs than regular season that would be a beneficial factor in the analysis. I would need to see that statistic, however. Because a 4.13 lifetime ETA ****FREAKING SUCKS**** when you are talking about pitchers that should be admitted to the HOF LOL.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Incorrect.... it's not even the most important stat for a pitcher.

Walks And Hits Per Inning Pitched (WHIP)

LOL, quit being silly. I don't give a shit how many walks or hits a pitcher has, the one that has the lowest ERA is pure and simple the one that did the best for his team. Do you even know how baseball games are scored? Its the RUNS the enemy has versus the RUNS your team has. Not hits or walks LOL. Don't be so dense man....

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
LOL, quit being silly. I don't give a shit how many walks or hits a pitcher has, the one that has the lowest ERA is pure and simple the one that did the best for his team. Do you even know how baseball games are scored? Its the RUNS the enemy has versus the RUNS your team has. Not hits or walks LOL. Don't be so dense man....

People who follow baseball and evaluate pitching for a living do.

I'm thinking you are every bit the baseball "expert" that you are a motorcycle "expert". (I'm also thinking it's more than likely that you live in a fantasy-world inside your head)

Last edited:

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
LOL. You are picking some arbitrary statistic YOU think if important (or it sounds like did not even come up with that nonsense yourself, you heard it from someone else who was trying to be cool spouting that nonsense and you decided to run with it LOL). I am going with the statistic the GAME thinks is important. Its not perfect, for a few reasons, but far better than hits or walks LOL! Under that theory a pitcher who allowed three hits in a game but all of those were dingers is better than a pitcher who allowed seven hits in a game but allowed none to score. Who would you say had a better game LOL? You can't make this shit up...

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
LOL. You are picking some arbitrary statistic YOU think if important (or it sounds like did not even come up with that nonsense yourself, you heard it from someone else who was trying to be cool spouting that nonsense and you decided to run with it LOL). I am going with the statistic the GAME thinks is important. Its not perfect, for a few reasons, but far better than hits or walks LOL! Under that theory a pitcher who allowed three hits in a game but all of those were dingers is better than a pitcher who allowed seven hits in a game but allowed none to score. Who would you say had a better game LOL? You can't make this shit up...

Don't you ever get tired of talking out of your a$$? ;)

Find someone else to explain baseball to you I don't have the patience.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
You just got OWNED lol. Next time, before you hear someone on the radio or TV say something, before you decide to steal it to try and sound cool, you should actually give it some critical thought before spewing it everywhere. It could be, like here, absolute nonsense.

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You just got OWNED lol. Next time, before you hear someone on the radio or TV say something, before you decide to steal it to try and sound cool, you should actually give it some critical thought before spewing it everywhere. It could be, like here, absolute nonsense.

Whatever chief ..... more like you just self-owned.

Do a little reading.... you might as well rate a pitcher based on wins/losses as going exclusively on ERA.

EDIT: Also did I hit a nerve on the "fantasy life" thing Walter Mitty?

Last edited:

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Whatever chief ..... more like you just self-owned.

Do a little reading.... you might as well rate a pitcher based on wins/losses as going exclusively on ERA.

EDIT: Also did I hit a nerve on the "fantasy life" thing Walter Mitty?

NO. You are spouting more dumb shit. Rating a pitcher on wins/losses is completely unfair because it would measure him ~50% by SOMETHING HE HAS NO CONTROL OVER, i.e. the offense his team puts out. Rating him by ERA is as close as you can possibly get to measuring him by the one thing he among all others affects - how many runs he lets the enemy score. Again, not perfect, but far, far better than wins/losses or hits/walks. LOL dude, you are just not having a good night...

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic