David Beckham will play in America

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
David Beckham is moving to LA Galaxy from Real Madrid for £125m ($242m).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6248835.stm

Sounds like a good deal? Maybe 5 years ago, sure, but everyone knows the man is past his best. None of the big European teams want him - if they did he would have jumped at the offer. He was dropped from the England squad last year, he's over 30 years old... why would they pay that kind of money for him? They could have had 2 excellent young players for that. Is football really big enough in the USA to justify buying him for his name alone? Does anyone even know who he is over there? I don't get it.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Wow, the search function is totally broken. I searched for Beckham and it came up with no results!

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Atheus
David Beckham is moving to LA Galaxy from Real Madrid for £125m ($242m).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6248835.stm

Sounds like a good deal? Maybe 5 years ago, sure, but everyone knows the man is past his best. None of the big European teams want him - if they did he would have jumped at the offer. He was dropped from the England squad last year, he's over 30 years old... why would they pay that kind of money for him? They could have had 2 excellent young players for that. Is football really big enough in the USA to justify buying him for his name alone? Does anyone even know who he is over there? I don't get it.

I think very few Americans could name many soccer players other than Beckham, and that may be why they're willing to pay so much.

No, soccer is not at all popular here at the professional level.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs
I think very few Americans could name many soccer players other than Beckham, and that may be why they're willing to pay so much.

I sure couldn't name an NFL player, so I'd be surprised if anyone in USA cares about Beckham, especially considering no one even cares about him over here any more.

Now if Rooney or someone like that moved - then people would care.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

I sure couldn't name an NFL player, so I'd be surprised if anyone in USA cares about Beckham, especially considering no one even cares about him over here any more.

I honestly can't see how they're going to recoup the money they're spending on him, even if he increases attendance.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

I honestly can't see how they're going to recoup the money they're spending on him, even if he increases attendance.

A significant portion of the contract is endorsements and incentives, and they are supposedly in talks to sell tv rights to their games to Japan and China. Not to mention all the Jerseys they'll sell around the world, in Asia in particular. They have statues of Beckham in Japan.