Dave Chappelle 8:46

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So to my mind this is what Dave did : A shit ton of people will watch a Dave Chapelle special no question asked. He used his platform for the cause fuck the consequences and blowback.

Reactions: zinfamous

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Lol I kid.

I thought it was good and on point with regards to celebrities voicing their opinion (which ironically is what he was doing).

yes, and it's not the first time he's discussed that thing with celebrities being spokespeople. He's pretty straight about who he is, too, but I'm assuming the irony isn't lost him that while he is speaking about this, here, and how he should be staying away from it--the youtube link got about 3 million hits in less than 24 hours, haha.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
SEEN IT!

Cuz people posted it all over internet. Like everywhere.
EVERYWHERE!
It would be useful to all to hear your thoughts since you've seen it.

It's an informed powerful monologue summing up how we got here. Pointless to get into details since I agree with almost all of it but pay close attention to his analysis to police response to the black soldier who snapped and went on to kill cops, compared to the public's reaction to the murder of George Floyd.

Reactions: cytg111

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
It was a great special, and I believe that if he did this a few years ago, he may have been cancelled. But because of how many people had their eyes forcibly opened with just how brutal our police are, it was a very powerful message. In the past, any reasoning of why cop killers did what they did was automatically shot down. But the point about the soldiers' automatic anti-terrorist switch kicking in with the police actually has some logic behind it. Some police forces are a terror threat to certain communities in the US.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Well, THIS IS what all the rioting and marching is about. And people are sick (some people, that is) of the police being judge, jury, and executioner. When was the last time a cop held grandma up to the same standards?

Untitled.jpg

Yeah.... people have had enough of this crap. And the marching and protesting and the rioting, if need be, will never end until justice is achieved. Too bad "some" people out there wearing those red hats will never understand. When it gets to be this bad, the only option is to rebuild from the ground up. Tear away all the rot, and replace with the new. Just like with a rotting house, you can't freshen up rot and why would you even want to?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Meh...he wasn’t very funny.
this is one of those instances where he's trying to make a point about the real world and funny comes second.
With Dave its usually the other way around, but sometimes you just have to stand up and say whats on your mind even if its not strictly for entertainment.
I respect that.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
So to my mind this is what Dave did : A shit ton of people will watch a Dave Chapelle special no question asked. He used his platform for the cause fuck the consequences and blowback.

To be fair, that's pretty much what Dave does with everything now. And he's always on point about everything. He tends to be one of the most intelligent, and well spoken voices out there.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Dave in my opinion has reached Carlins level. Since his comeback he has been more than just a comedian.

Just had this very discussion the other day. He's clearly in the same stratosphere. He pulls no punches. Makes his point. And is funny along the way.

Reactions: TheVrolok

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Just had this very discussion the other day. He's clearly in the same stratosphere. He pulls no punches. Makes his point. And is funny along the way.
Totally agreed. Said the same thing with this was referenced in the Eric Garner thread. Chappelle is an artist.

Reactions: Homerboy