Daughter and her friends voted today in Texas and guess what?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I wonder how many tens of thousands of legitimate voters will be denied the right to vote because they are unable to get an ID.

Horrible, this is the first step back towards poll taxes.

I don't understand why a legitimate voter wouldn't be able to get an ID.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
The veteran's group I help out every election year has been able to get birth certificates within a couple of weeks and after they were received assisted the persons with getting an Election Identification Certificate. Most of these people who are now in assisted living homes no longer have drivers licenses so they must get the election ID. I drove 9 (3 trips) of these elderly folks to the polls yesterday and plan on driving more next week as well. You can tell how much pride they feel from exercising their right to vote.

I, for one, applaud your service sir.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
A driver's License is suppose to have your current address on it proving you live in the voting district covered by the polling place. It would be illegal to link your personal info to your voting info. Usually when I vote they just ask me where I live. I think it might be legal to keep a running database of everyone that votes to be on the watch of people voting multiple times at different polling places.

I think getting an ID may be more difficult than you think. Usually they want to see Birth Certificate and some kind of bill that is linked to the address where you say you live or a lease or something like that.

In Texas you have to have a certified copy or the original birth certificate and your SS card to get a state issued ID or Drivers License. If you don't drive then it would be a state issued ID. However there are very few limited places you can get these and some folks have to drive hundreds of miles to get to these particular places to get the state issued ID. My daughter lost her birth certificate last year so we have to contact Vital Statistics online and pay a 22.00 dollar fee for a certified copy and it took 3 weeks to get to her. If you lose your Drivers License and happen to have your original certified birth certificate (they won't take a copy btw), then there is another fee for the state issued ID.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Yea this is what I found on one site explaining that the voter registration cards are not needed to vote here is why:

Do I need my voter registration card in order to vote?

Answer:
No. As long as you are in the correct polling location, your name will appear on the registration list supplied to your precinct.

The Voter Identification Card is for your reference and is not required to vote. If you did not receive or lost the Voter Identification Card, call your local Clerk for a replacement

I guess those folks who were checking my voter card were not aware? Anyway so long as they have you on the list of voters I don't care then.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I don't understand why a legitimate voter wouldn't be able to get an ID.

I don't understand why this is suddenly a problem that must be solved. In person voter fraud is statistically so rare that's it's irrelevant.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Now wait just a second. Isn't everyone worried that ex-cons with drivers licenses will show up at the polls and vote even though they're barred from doing so? Don't we need protection from "Ex-con voter fraud?" Shouldn't people be required to produce a state-issued "I'm not a ex-con" card in order to vote?

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
If you lilive in a rural area it can take hours to get to a location that gives out ID.

Luckily most precincts have elections of some sort only once a year, so there is usually plenty of time to get an id.

Last edited:

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
I don't understand why this is suddenly a problem that must be solved. In person voter fraud is statistically so rare that's it's irrelevant.

How would anyone know that I am not giving the name and address of someone, other than myself, that I was sure was not going to vote due to any reason? By not requiring an id then I would be allowed to vote for who would know that I am using an alias. In this instance how would fraud be measured?, by your system the fraudulently casted vote wasn't fraudulent at all.

I personally believe these people claiming that they can't get an id is a farce argument just to allow continued voter fraud.

If showing an id is too much to ask someone , we shouldn't we use the precinct voter rolls as a list of people that are cleared to purchase a gun. They could just walk into a gun store, state "a" name and address. If it matches a name and address on a voter roll then surely it's legit, then sell them a gun. If not providing an identification is a good enough system to ensure the integrity of a person's vote then it should be good enough system to ensure a proper gun purchase.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Now wait just a second. Isn't everyone worried that ex-cons with drivers licenses will show up at the polls and vote even though they're barred from doing so? Don't we need protection from "Ex-con voter fraud?" Shouldn't people be required to produce a state-issued "I'm not a ex-con" card in order to vote?

No, unless you meet certain eligibility requirements you can't register to vote.

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/pamphlets/largepamp.shtml

To be eligible to register to vote in Texas, a person must be:

• A United States citizen;
  • A resident of the Texas county in which application for registration is made;
  • At least 18 years old on Election Day;
  • Not finally convicted of a felony, or, if so convicted must have (1) fully discharged the sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or completed a period of probation ordered by any court; or (2) been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability to vote; and
  • Not determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be (1) totally mentally incapacitated; or (2) partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
^ It's probably considered racist that anyone should have to register to vote, and that there are any restrictions/disqualifications or citizenship requirements for registering.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
How would anyone know that I am not giving the name and address of someone, other than myself, that I was sure was not going to vote due to any reason? By not requiring an id then I would be allowed to vote for who would know that I am using an alias. In this instance how would fraud be measured?, by your system the fraudulently casted vote wasn't fraudulent at all.

I personally believe these people claiming that they can't get an id is a farce argument just to allow continued voter fraud.

If showing an id is too much to ask someone , we shouldn't we use the precinct voter rolls as a list of people that are cleared to purchase a gun. They could just walk into a gun store, state "a" name and address. If it matches a name and address on a voter roll then surely it's legit, then sell them a gun. If not providing an identification is a good enough system to ensure the integrity of a person's vote then it should be good enough system to ensure a proper gun purchase.

Nothing you said answers my question. In person voter fraud is a demonstrably rare event, so small as to not affect elections in any meaningful way. These laws look like solutions in search of problems at best or cynical partisan plays at worst.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
If you lilive in a rural area it can take hours to get to a location that gives out ID.

Unless you're talking about Alaska, I can't imagine that's true. Every county has a facility to issue identification in every state I can think of.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I miss the old machines we used to have. Pull the lever, it closes the curtain. Pull the little switches for the folks you want. Pull lever to open curtain and punch whatever card thing was in the machine. they looked like the were from the 40's.

I don't have to show ID.
I go to the old people. They open the book, I sign my name next to my name in the book. They compare my signature with whats in the book. They then scowl at me because I'm brownish and point me to the new machines they have now. I say to them in the most chipper long island accent I can muster "Thank you" and thats that

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
I believe the only reason it is a "demonstrably rare event" is due solely and as a result of the fact that no id is required.

If a person fraudulently presented a name and address other than his own at the polling station, how would you prove that vote was fraudulent without requiring an id to vote? You can't and you think that somehow gives you the ability to say voter fraud doesn't exists.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
^ It's probably considered racist that anyone should have to register to vote, and that there are any restrictions/disqualifications or citizenship requirements for registering.

This people is the very definition of logical fallacy - STRAWMAN. NOT a single liberal has argued for the above. So Zaap (being a clever little imp) IMPLIES that is what liberals believe and attacks them for it. Zaap, how about attacking liberals for what they actually believe instead of any made up shit you can think of?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

I can't believe there are many places like that. I live in a rural area and it's no where near that long to get to the DMV.

In any case, if you live in such an area that it would "take hours to get to a location that gives out ID" you'll be used to driving far since grocery stores, doctors' offices and other necessary places will just as far. I.e., you will already have an ID because a DL is a necessity.

Fern

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I can't believe there are many places like that. I live in a rural area and it's no where near that long to get to the DMV.

In any case, if you live in such an area that it would "take hours to get to a location that gives out ID" you'll be used to driving far since grocery stores, doctors' offices and other necessary places will just as far. I.e., you will already have an ID because a DL is a necessity.

Fern

Do you know the exact number of poor black votes that Republicans hope to repress with this legislation? I mean nobody is silly enough to actually BELIEVE the vote fraud nonsense.... good gawd that is a laughable insult to any rational person's intelligence.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Chances are if you lived that far out in the woods it would also take hours to get to a polling station as well.

"Chances are"? You've never heard of a small rural town? Not all towns have DMV's, not all towns are a few miles apart, not all voters drive, not all voters have ID's.

Is it really hard for you righties to think of a scenario in which getting an ID and all the required documents would be a burden?

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
"Chances are"? You've never heard of a small rural town? Not all towns have DMV's, not all towns are a few miles apart, not all voters drive, not all voters have ID's.

Is it really hard for you righties to think of a scenario in which getting an ID and all the required documents would be a burden?

Yes, it's hard for me to believe that someone who wants to vote can't get the required items to both register and vote. The veterans group I work with was able to get IDs elderly people (41 residents all in their 70's to 80's) staying at assisted living home birth certificates and voter IDs in a couple of weeks as well as getting them registered to vote. We are now helping get them to the polls, I took 9 in three trips yesterday.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I believe the only reason it is a "demonstrably rare event" is due solely and as a result of the fact that no id is required.

If a person fraudulently presented a name and address other than his own at the polling station, how would you prove that vote was fraudulent without requiring an id to vote? You can't and you think that somehow gives you the ability to say voter fraud doesn't exists.

Lol! I love how ignorance is used as justification for ones belief.

"I don't know anyone that can't..."

"I don't know how anyone could prove voter fraud under the current condtitions."

Well guess what? Just because you don't know jack doesn't mean no one else does.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I believe

This is not sufficient basis to significantly alter voting requirements and no evidence exists or has been presented, to my knowledge, to support a claim that in person voter fraud is a real factor in elections.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
No, unless you meet certain eligibility requirements you can't register to vote.

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/pamphlets/largepamp.shtml

Learn to read, man. The OP just informed us that at the Texas polling place there was no verification of registration, just a check of the ID card.

Hmm. I think literacy should be reinstated as a requirement for voter registration. And since your reading comprehension is clearly questionable, you can forget about casting a vote this year.

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Learn to read, man. The OP just informed us that at the Texas polling place there was no verification of registration, just a check of the ID card.

Hmm. I think literacy should be reinstated as a requirement for voter registration. And since your reading comprehension is clearly questionable, you can forget about casting a vote this year.

I agree about literacy.

And see, in this case the OP did NOT inform us that there was no verification of registration. That is an assumption.

Fern