Database programmer needed!

Krassus

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2003
I need a someone to write a database to help my company keep track of our projects and the companies we do business with. The database needs to:

- document companies we have/are/will do business with
- document projects we have/are/will participate in
- document relationships between these companies and projects

If interested, please PM me with the following information:

- your estimate of how long this would take to complete
- your estimate of how much this would cost me

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
What type of database would you like to use--Oracle, mySql, Access, design one from scratch, ect.?

It would also help if you were a little more specific--like someone pointed out, what sort of budget you're working with, sample data you want the database to keep track of, how many users are going to be using this database, what type of interface you want for your user, what are you currently using for your database (or how are you keeping track of your information and data currently), and have you got any use case diagrams currently for this project?

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Just to clarify things: You don't need a database, you need an application which makes use a database (mostly). I say this only because it's not uncommon for someone to balk at the cost of an ostensibly simple application due to the client thinking they need "just a database."

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Rogue
Why not just purchase and use any number of CRM packages already out there?

Maybe he's being nice and giving a chance to the out of work people here at a job? :D

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Hey Krassus, nice to see you offer fellow ATers a shot at some decent work. This sounds like the kind of work I've gotten into. Example: Degenerates.org Advice for Geeks, a PHP/MySQL combination with publishing available directly over the Web, content stored in the DB and user levels like admin/moderator/author built in. I love this stuff. :)

To get reasonable estimates you'll have to expand a little further on what you're looking for. It sounds like you're looking for a contact management system using the Web as your platform. I'll give you a PM.

Krassus

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2003
Alright, a little more info as requested. I don't need remote access, nor multiple users or security levels. And like someone pointed out, yeah this is a contract management system, for a construction company. In a nutshell, this is how the process works. A company, say Citibank decides they want a new branch. They hire an architect to draw up the plans. The architect goes through a tender process, which allows a handful of general contractors to bid on the job, prior to which each general contractor will gather quotes from all the sub-contractors for each required part of the job. I'm a sub-contractor, and deal with hundreds of architects, general contractors, home builders and so forth. So i need a way to keep track - something to generate a so-called web of business relationships. For instance, i'd like to be able to load up an architect's profile and see which projects they've tendered out in the past, and which are currently open for tender. Then click on a project and see which general contractors bid, and who won.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Krassus
Alright, a little more info as requested. I don't need remote access, nor multiple users or security levels. And like someone pointed out, yeah this is a contract management system, for a construction company. In a nutshell, this is how the process works. A company, say Citibank decides they want a new branch. They hire an architect to draw up the plans. The architect goes through a tender process, which allows a handful of general contractors to bid on the job, prior to which each general contractor will gather quotes from all the sub-contractors for each required part of the job. I'm a sub-contractor, and deal with hundreds of architects, general contractors, home builders and so forth. So i need a way to keep track - something to generate a so-called web of business relationships. For instance, i'd like to be able to load up an architect's profile and see which projects they've tendered out in the past, and which are currently open for tender. Then click on a project and see which general contractors bid, and who won.

Use Quickbooks.

i personally don't like quickbooks because i find it a bit sluggish, but you will definitely find that it does everything you need it to do, albeit, you have to set up many different types of accounts etc.

it will require quite a bit of your time to customize it, but it should do what you need it to do.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Krassus
That's easy as cake. :) If you can't think of any additional, custom features you'd like added in (Advanced sorting methods? Keeping statistics on who wins the most tenders, who comes in on budget most often, who is on time most often, etc.) go with PlatinumGold's suggestion. Otherwise, I and the other AT coders await word.

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
I've never used Quickbook, so I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but I agree with yllus, it does sound like a fairly easy job to do in php/mySql.

And for god's sake people, you wonder why unemployment is so rampent? Here the guy is offering a job and people are just like, here's a program you can use, no need to hire anyone to do it for you.

By the way, there will be a written contract should you decide to hire one of us to work on this project right? ;)

Krassus

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2003
As great as having access to those statistics would be, they're not really mandatory. Because after all, i submit bids to each GC bidding on the job, so it's not like i have to select them or anything. I'll give Quickbooks a shot and see if it does that i need it to.

And for god's sake people, you wonder why unemployment is so rampent? Here the guy is offering a job and people are just like, here's a program you can use, no need to hire anyone to do it for you.
This had me laughing out loud because i actually thought the same thing :D Great, now i feel guilty

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Well, if you ever feel too guilty, just remember there are people here who might want to take on the project (for the right price of course). Remember though, a custom database system could be a bit pricey and that's not even counting the extra cost of support.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Time Frame that this is needed?

Type of system that it is intended to run on?

Response time?

Output Reports?