Data port to IP phone Port?

Nini

Nov 17, 2016
First I would like to apologize for not knowing the correct terms.

I bought a business and all the jacks are the cat5/ethernet looking cords. Some are labeled as data and some as phone.

Their is a room that has a 1 connection port and I was able to hook it up to the computer and it gives me internet access but when I plug it in to my phone it doesn't even light up as to when I connect it to my other phone lines.

The phone uses the same cord as the one I used to connect to the computer.

My question is, can I convert that connection so I can plug in my phone? Or once its a data line it stays a data line?

Not sure if any of this makes sense but I hope it does.

Not sure how to add the pictures I took of the outlets.

Nini

Nov 17, 2016
IMG_1150.JPG

Feb 25, 2011
First I would like to apologize for not knowing the correct terms.

I bought a business and all the jacks are the cat5/ethernet looking cords. Some are labeled as data and some as phone.

Their is a room that has a 1 connection port and I was able to hook it up to the computer and it gives me internet access but when I plug it in to my phone it doesn't even light up as to when I connect it to my other phone lines.

The phone uses the same cord as the one I used to connect to the computer.

My question is, can I convert that connection so I can plug in my phone? Or once its a data line it stays a data line?

Not sure if any of this makes sense but I hope it does.

Not sure how to add the pictures I took of the outlets.

It's common for contractors and wiring installers to use the same cabled/jacks for both data and analog phones, to save money. But they're wired and punched down differently in the back.

So it just depends on what you have on in the back room / telecom closet. And whether or not you're actually set up for IP phones, and... well... there's actually a lot of variables here. You might need to hire an IT contractor for a few hours to figure this out for you, if there's no documentation from the previous occupant(s).

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Can you post a few pics of the jacks and the back room as well that shows where all the cables come together? As dave indicated, there's too many variables that need to be better explained to know what you're actually setup for.

For the pictures, at the very least, just link a couple pictures from a dropbox, google drive or other cloud storage account into the post.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
If it is an ip phone, you connect it to the ethernet jack. what you called data.

Railgun

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2010
Unless the switchport that it's connected to doesn't support PoE or it's disabled.

If that's how your other phones are connected and it's not possible in this instance, can you get a power brick for the phone?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Unless the switchport that it's connected to doesn't support PoE or it's disabled.

If that's how your other phones are connected and it's not possible in this instance, can you get a power brick for the phone?

You can still connect it to the ethernet port, you just need to power the phone.

Was at a,place that decided to replace a perfectly working one year old cisco gigabit switch with a poe one just so they can drive the phones. except they bought the cheap phones with 100mbps pass through port instead of gigabit.

Last edited:

Railgun

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2010
You can still connect it to the ethernet port, you just need to power the phone.

Was at a,place that decided to replace a perfectly working one year old cisco gigabit switch with a poe one just so they can drive the phones. except they bought the cheap phones with 100mbps pass through port instead of gigabit.
I know this. It was in ref to him in that it didn't even "light up."