Data Corruption

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by hennessy1, Jan 3, 2013.

1. hennessy1

hennessy1 Golden Member

I have a customer that despite multiple reinstalls keeps getting corrupted windows files. Memory testing is on the to do list but they also have an add on controller and I was wondering if there was a test or program that could read and write data like memtest to check for corruption?

Any help is much appreciated thank you.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Data Corruption Forum Date
    SSD Drives Vulnerable to Attacks That Corrupt User Data Memory and Storage Monday at 7:33 PM
    Windows 10 - data corruption issues Memory and Storage Mar 29, 2016
    How to recover data from corrupted WD external hardisk Memory and Storage Feb 2, 2016
    USB dock external 4tb Seagate hard drive corrupted partition; too much data Memory and Storage Jul 1, 2013
    Need to recover data from a corrupted hard drive Memory and Storage Sep 25, 2012

3. Blain

Blain Lifer

* How old are the components?
    * Are the components of good quality?
    * Are they operating their PC behind a good quality UPS?
    * Were the reinstalls all done from the same physical media?

4. hennessy1

hennessy1 Golden Member

Maybe 2yrs max. This is a dell precision workstation that I have been trying to help the customer with. No ups in place. The media was all dells either the dell windows 7 cd or the dell system recovery partition. I did not use anything else because if it is hardware related dell will not be as willing to help if I wiped away their partition or not used their media.

I did find this site yesterday just not sure how to get that utility.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg607461(v=vs.85).aspx

5. Ketchup

Ketchup Elite Member

How often is the problem occurring, as in, how much time passes before the problem starts occurring, in which case a re-install seems to fix it?

What is the memory setup on that board?

Is the corruption only occurring on Windows files?

6. hennessy1

hennessy1 Golden Member

No standard amount of time passes sometimes a couple months to several months passes. It always has to do with windows updates in one way or another. I would have to check the memory configuration later today.

7. Ketchup

Ketchup Elite Member

My first thought is a bad area on the hard drive. I don't see RAM as causing an issue that happens so irregularly, since Windows 7 uses just about all of it, in one way or another.

If it were me, I would boot off a disc with seatools and see if it finds anything.