Dashcam Shows Chicago Police Beating Reverend They Claimed Tried to Run Them Over

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
why do cops do this?
They know they have a camera in their own car.
They should know ANY witness nowadays almost assuredly has a camera on them.
Do they honestly believe nothing will happen to them?

EOM

Mar 20, 2015
why do cops do this?

Yes. It's been proven time and time again that nothing will happen. They'll get paid time off and the taxpayers will pay the victims. Rinse and repeat.

Bart*Simpson

Jul 21, 2015
www.canadaka.net
why do cops do this?

They have a badge and a gun and too many Americans are still willing to believe that cops are superhuman and infallible. Therefore whatever a cop says MUST be true, even if it's clear they lied.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Why are people continually assuming that knowing has very much relation with doing?

Actually, in order to be a criminal, you by definition have to know what you did was wrong (M'Naughten rule).

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Reminds me of the woman who drove up the wrong driveway in DC.
She gets confronted by security... panics, flees. And is hunted down, shot and killed for it.

Many people have a human reaction that is not to simply freeze and obey. Many people panic. And police use that, at every opportunity, to escalate and attack the victim. Often enough drawing their guns and shooting them in the process of escalating violence.

I think the moral of the story is that police = violence. Which only adds to the number of people that will panic when confronted by such an aggressive threat.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Classy, they charged her with a crime. This is our police state in action folks.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
And not just any crime, attempted murder against a cop. Without dashcams, she probably would have faced decades in prison for having the audacity to allow herself to be assaulted by a cop.

why do cops do this?

Yes, and in Chicago especially.

These cops should be hung from street poles, as well as any other officers that defended them.

Nov 25, 2013
Wonder if anyone will volunteer to repaint that picture for us so that we can truly understand the situation and the dilemma the officers were faced with.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Reminds me of the woman who drove up the wrong driveway in DC.
She gets confronted by security... panics, flees. And is hunted down, shot and killed for it.

Many people have a human reaction that is not to simply freeze and obey. Many people panic. And police use that, at every opportunity, to escalate and attack the victim. Often enough drawing their guns and shooting them in the process of escalating violence.

I think the moral of the story is that police = violence. Which only adds to the number of people that will panic when confronted by such an aggressive threat.

You are absolutely correct. They (often, not always and not all of them) escalate situations and incite "fight or flight" responses, a situation in which you can literally have no control over your actions, and use that as an excuse to continually escalate the situation.

When I got burned by 500 degree tar my fight or flight response kicked in and I guess my brain couldn't figure out a way to "fight" so it chose flight. I was on a roof and running straight towards the edge of an absolutely un-survivable fall. I was quite a bit heavier back then and one of my coworkers tackled me by the legs at a point that I couldn't have stopped myself from going over if I all of a sudden snapped out of it. I didn't want to fall, I didn't want to die, I didn't decide to run, I didn't want to run, hell I didn't even understand why I was running but there I was running as fast as I could right towards a sure death to get away from something that was stuck to me like glue and would have still been burning me all of the way down.

I actually didn't understand what the hell made me run that day until 3 or 4 weeks into my hospital stay a psychologist came and talked to me and I explained the entire ordeal. I've been fairly interested in it ever since.

This is a rather well known human/animal reaction and by definition it's uncontrollable. This is one reason why LEO should always attempt to deescalate a situation whenever possible and not just run in and escalate the fuck out of things like we see far to often. OTOH LEO can have their own fight or flight responses as well but from what I understand it can be significantly "conditioned out" in training.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Brutal. We need much more accountability for loons in the police force. Lady was out to get diapers and she was attacked by these rabid dogs. The fucker laughing needs time in the psych ward.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
That's just disturbing. These folks don't need slap on the wrist or suspension, they need to face attempted murder charges and see a couple of decades in jail.

I'm a big fan of dash cams and body cams, it's better for everyone involved. It reduces incidents of people claiming brutality etc when it's not true, and it should create accountability for cops when they do the wrong thing. Problem is, that doesn't seem to happen all the time, even when there is clear video evidence.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I'm going back to Thailand. At least there I can bribe the police with a few baht and a beer.