Darwin visits the gun nutter community yet again

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Well here we go again. We have a couple of caring parents who thought it would be great to teach their 9 year daughter how to use a fully automatic UZI. Of course they found an instructor who was extremely happy to teach their kid this vital skill. So as the two happy idiots sat and filmed, their little 9 year old went ahead in full auto mode, lost control and shot the instructor in the head, killing him.

Gun nutters..... you would be lucky to find 100 brain cells within the entire community.

We maintain our right to be shocked at the utterly wanton, bloodthirsty idiocy of the NRA. Every news outlet in the country is wringing its hands about the deeply disturbing incident in Arizona in which a 9-year-old girl shot her shooting range instructor dead with an Uzi. (Her parents thought it was a good idea to bring her to the shooting range.) Is the NRA wringing its hands? No it is not. It is tweeting: "7 Ways Children Can Have Fun at the Shooting Range."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...nstructors-death-no-tragic-accident/14777079/

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm not saying it was a good idea for this kid to have that gun, obviously it wasn't. But, we really don't know how many times kids have shot, even automatic guns, without incident to compare this too. For all we know the odds of dying from such an event may be lower than many 'safer' activities that we don't raise an eyebrow over.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm not saying it was a good idea for this kid to have that gun, obviously it wasn't. But, we really don't know how many times kids have shot, even automatic guns, without incident to compare this too. For all we know the odds of dying from such an event may be lower than many 'safer' activities that we don't raise an eyebrow over.

Yup, after the guy was shot in the head the range owner bragged about how proud he was the girl got to achieve her dream of firing an automatic rifle, something she couldn't have done just anywhere. I just wish I got to kill somebody when I was her age at the howitzer range on the Army base I spent two weeks on as a scout. Those things were so cool. You could blow shit up miles away.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Yep, accidents never happen with any other activity kids might engage in. Nobody has ever gotten hurt while skiing, playing football, skateboarding, hang-gliding, parachute jumping, swimming etc. Nope, never.

Also, how many kids went to gun ranges this year and learned to shoot and had a great time with their parents with no incidents whatsoever? You don't know? If there's one incident in a million where something goes wrong, is that a problem? What percentage of kids get hurt (or hurt someone) at a gun range as opposed to other activities?

Now do I think it's a smart idea to put a full auto weapon in the hand of a kid (even at a range)? No, I do not. I would not want my kid at that age to handle a full auto weapon.... but lets leave the gun-grabber anti-gun paranoia out of the equation.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
So not only are you a 5 percenter that hates the rich, you are also a gun owner that hates gun owners.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
It's true, the liberals are baiting gun enthusiasts - they are sending their children with pretend interest to fire weapons and then sit back and watch 'accidents' happen.

I stood up and disagreed to this tactic, during the previous week's Weekly Meeting On Weekly Matters To Confirm The Weekly Tasks Of The Liberal Agenda, Which Said Weekly Meeting Occurs Every Week. I had my Barbara Streisand season pass tickets taken from me and told to not come back until I arranged for at least 10 interracial relationships to occur.

All mockery aside - it was an accident - period.

Also, I said it before and I'll say it again - if a parent and/or a child wants to fire off some weapons at a gun range; have at it. I fully support this, provided the gun range owners know what they are doing. The poor man who was killed has been heavily criticized on where he stood, etc. Nonetheless, his death was a tragic accident.

And, I am not sure why he allowed that kid to grab an uzi. Would one of these be a better choice?

http://www.battlefieldvegas.com/products/little-giants-package - I think the rounds aren't as powerful, so, it won't nail the little tyke to the wall,.. or cause him/her to lose control.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Well here we go again. We have a couple of caring parents who thought it would be great to teach their 9 year daughter how to use a fully automatic UZI. Of course they found an instructor who was extremely happy to teach their kid this vital skill. So as the two happy idiots sat and filmed, their little 9 year old went ahead in full auto mode, lost control and shot the instructor in the head, killing him.

Gun nutters..... you would be lucky to find 100 brain cells within the entire community.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...nstructors-death-no-tragic-accident/14777079/

"If you don't like abortions guns, then don't have one." That's the argument, right?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
And, I am not sure why he allowed that kid to grab an uzi. Would one of these be a better choice?

http://www.battlefieldvegas.com/products/little-giants-package - I think the rounds aren't as powerful, so, it won't nail the little tyke to the wall,.. or cause him/her to lose control.

A .22LR doesn't have overwhelmingly more muzzle energy than a .25 pellet from an airgun, and I don't think anyone but the most rabidly anti-gun zealots would object much to those. That being said you never want anyone to be hit with a deadly projectile of any kind, be it .22LR, airgun pellet, arrow, slingshot round, or whatever.

Speaking of someone with good amount of first-hand knowledge of full fire-select weapons, IMHO full auto is stupid anyway unless you're working with a crew served weapon that's either mounted or stabilized (tripod, etc). Burst fire is a far better option for battle rifles, assault rifles, or submachine guns in pretty much any use case you can think of.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Given the muzzle velocity, grain of an average automatic round, and period of fire from an Uzi, and factoring in the likely upper body strength of a nine year old skinny girl, plus the reflexive impulse to cling to the gun stock and trigger mechanism induced by the gun going out of control, I have concluded that when such threads as this come up I should immediately attempt to garner points with my gun nutter friends by showing off my knowledge. I know more about guns than you do, you puny city slicker liberal.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
BwEzfNoCMAAJ2ft.jpg

Luckily she shot the right guy, actually responsible for safety on the range, and not a bystander.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
why don't they give children under 13 blanks to shoot?

makes sense no?

real life gun noise plus safety is win win isn't it?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
This not an incident that makes any kind of case for gun control. The instructor made poor decisions and and a very tragic incident occurred. A family lost their husband and father and a 9 year old girl is going to have to carry this with her for the rest of her life its tragic all around.

I did hear an instructor from another operation in Vegas that does similar packages that he holds the weapon with the child from both sides and retains control of the weapon while the child is firing it which seems like a sensible way to approach it.

Again no need for additional regulation but range owners probably need to make sure their employees are following best practices to further reduce risks.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
why don't they give children under 13 blanks to shoot?

makes sense no?

real life gun noise plus safety is win win isn't it?

Although I agree with your premise, sorry to say but in this particular instance, due to the intimately close range the guy got shot at, a blank would have done some pretty serious injury too. May not have killed him, but nonetheless. Better to practice much more secure range control than what we all saw in the vid clip. It looks like the kid unexpectedly fired off the rounds before the instructor could get in proper position to avoid unsafe release. He should have auto selected after he got behind her and secured the range.

Feb 10, 2000
I am reminded of the story several years ago where an 8-year-old buy shot himself in the head with an Uzi for the same reason (the muzzle crept up from recoil). http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/10/27/boy-8-shoots-self-with-uzi-at-gun-show/

I am a gun owner and enjoy shooting. I have no problem with people teaching children to shoot. I do, however, think it's irresponsible and dangerous to put a fully-automatic weapon in the hands of someone who is so physically small and relatively weak. I see little upside to this and it's undeniably dangerous.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I am a gun owner and enjoy shooting. I have no problem with people teaching children to shoot. I do, however, think it's irresponsible and dangerous to put a fully-automatic weapon in the hands of someone who is so physically small and relatively weak. I see little upside to this and it's undeniably dangerous.

That pretty much says it all for me. We have .22 bolt action rifles with short stocks for a reason people.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Came to the thread expecting to hear about gun nutters. All I got were nutter comments from the 'irrational fear of guns' crowd. Leaves disappointed....

/smh