Darwin Candidate

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Well New Zealanders have a proud history in recent Darwin Awards and once again one of our lower-tier citizens has made headlines with yet another attempt. Thanks for taking one for the team, champ!

Text

Fatal gas blast 'may have been caused by cigarette'

UPDATED 4.00pm Tuesday October 31, 2006

A blast that killed a youth may have occurred after one of five teenagers sniffing from an LPG bottle in a car apparently lit a cigarette, police believe.

Thomas Kelson Hillman, 18, of Picton was killed after the gas explosion in Blenheim at 9.30pm last night. The other four remain in stable condition in Wairau Hospital.

Senior Sergeant Tony Sampson of the Blenheim police said initial inquiries failed to find any fault with the portable gas bottle which had been handled by members of the group at the time of the explosion.

Some members of the group were involved in inhaling flammable gases, he said.

It appeared that some had been sniffing LPG from the bottle minutes before the explosion, he said.

"It appears that an attempt to light a cigarette in the vehicle a short time later may have caused the explosion."

Mr Sampson said Mr Hillman had only been with the group for a short-time before the explosion but it was unknown if he had been inhaling the gas.

He survived the blast and was taken to Wairau Hospital, where staff spent "quite some time" in an unsuccessful effort to save his life.

Mr Sampson said police and fire service investigators were warning that substance abuse involving flammable gases was an extremely dangerous practice and "one which can have tragic consequences".

Mr Hillman's death has been reported to the coroner and police inquiries were continuing.

- NZPA

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Wow, you guys don't know what LPG is? Liquid Petroleum Gas, an extremely explosive gas used as an alternative to petrol. I shouldn't be surprised that Americans don't know anything about the cleaner alternative :roll:

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Not all that uncommon. :Q

Brian Allen Miller of Muskegon, Michigan faces a felony charge of unlawful possesion or use of a harmful chemical device causing property damage after an incident in which he blew up his house.

Miller was huffing propane to get high. He subsequently lit a joint, causing the propane to do what propane does best. The explosion blew part of his house off its foundation and started a fire that destroyed the rest of it and damaged the homes of two of his neighbors.

Miller suffered minor burns. His two kids and a guest escaped injury. According to a county prosecutor, the explosion caused "significant heat damage within a large radius of his home.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
LPG aka Propane
I imagine i makes a decent inhalent - like glue, gas, etc.
So these guys were probably killing off brain cells for awhile.

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: iamaelephant
Wow, you guys don't know what LPG is? Liquid Petroleum Gas, an extremely explosive gas used as an alternative to petrol. I shouldn't be surprised that Americans don't know anything about the cleaner alternative :roll:

your posts are probably among the most annoying and repetitive I've seen

Toonces

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2000
propane is the common moniker for LPG in North America (yes, we Canadians call it propane too) you'd be surprised the differences between Aus/NZ and Can/US when it comes to little things like that. Oh, and I live with two new zelanders, two Australians, and two Canadians :p

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother

:thumbsup:
Seriously, enough already with the "Americans dont know sh|t posts. I would gather that the majority of the posters on this board are in America, so if you really have that big of a problem, the door is not far. I am sure there are plenty of anti American filled boards you can join.

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
Some of us in the USA know what it is, some don't. It's price has increased 300 percent in the past three years and yes it is made from petroleum. It's often called propane. LPG stands for Liquified Petroleum Gas. It's an interesting fuel, but as you said it's very dangerous. Blast patterns for exploding LPG tanks show a 360 degree blast pattern, not just a suttle mushroom cloud. My friends are fireman and I've gotten this info. from them over the years.
I've had houses that use heating oil and LPG, but LPG really scares me. It's very explosive. I used to have tanks filled by a disfigured man. He pumped propane and had been involved in an explosion. Scary stuff.
Anybody huffing this stuff is suicidal.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Originally posted by: akshatp

Seriously, enough already with the "Americans dont know sh|t posts. I would gather that the majority of the posters on this board are in America, so if you really have that big of a problem, the door is not far. I am sure there are plenty of anti American filled boards you can join.

I'm not anti-American. I'm anti-stupid. You just made my list.

Nov 3, 2004

The post I quoted above reeks of stupidity

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001

What an ass. We have a different term here. "Propane" :roll:

Sorry oh great and mighty new Zealander with your sophisticated city ways, hyuk!

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001

says the tard thats call himself iamaelephant when it should be iamanelephant :roll:

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
LPG isn't necessarily propane, butane is also an LPG as well as mixtures of the two and other chemicals.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Originally posted by: KK

says the tard thats call himself iamaelephant when it should be iamanelephant :roll:

Well gee, think maybe thats the point of the name? You think you're the first person in the 5 years I've been using this handle to point that out? My name is spelt the way it is for a reason.

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
Well gee, think maybe thats the point of the name? You think you're the first person in the 5 years I've been using this handle to point that out? My name is spelt the way it is for a reason.

Nicely done, a elephant.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: KK

yeah, because you're a tard

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Originally posted by: paulney

Nicely done, a elephant.

That's the correct spelling where I live.