Question Darn Windows Update... PC was rebooted, and hung. Maybe hardware issue?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't reboot my PC often. I do, sometimes, usually do the Windows Updates, and then manually reboot, under my supervision.

Well, I woke up today, and my main rig was "offline" in my mining software, so something had happened (it mines, too).

Went to the PC, moved mouse, black-screen, hit C-A-D, didn't do much.

So finally, I hit the RESET button on the chassis, and I heard fans whirr, and it was back to life.

Booted up, then showed me the blue-screen, "Restarting". Then proceeded to reboot, and update Windows. Bleh.

So, maybe it tried to schedule a reboot, and it hung, either due to my mining software, or other hardware issues? My RAM is like 99.999% stable, but occasionally (rarely) it will glitch.

And I recently installed Tekken 7 off of my Steam account back onto this PC to test out some $20 game controllers that I had bought, and once while leaving it running but unattended, it had a CTD.

So, maybe something in my hardware is going?

In this PC, I've killed three video cards, and the onboard NIC, and an add-on 10GbE-T NIC. Not sure why.

It's on a good 1350VA APC Pure SIne battery backup.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
In this PC, I've killed three video cards, and the onboard NIC, and an add-on 10GbE-T NIC. Not sure why.
It's on a good 1350VA APC Pure SIne battery backup.
My opinion, very likely your PSU. Ask it in the Power Supply subforum.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Well, could have been the chinese-made powered usb hub back-feeding, had that happen before on other rigs, generally not good.
Throw that USB hub away then. Those cheaply made USB hubs are really horrible. Some constantly connect and reconnect. My Realtek USB 3.0 gigabit ethernet adapter for whatever reason would disappear then reappear in the system, driver installation (automatic or manual) also always problematic. Luckily I only use it occasionally for testing.

Reactions: VirtualLarry