Darkest Dungeon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
This.

The game is heavily dependent on RNG, you can literally get completely and totally wrecked throughout your first few missions through no fault of your own and struggle onwards for ages heavily burdened with an early loss, or breeze you way through by restarting and getting a few good dice rolls early on. The difference is immediately striking.
That's your problem right there. You can't get wrecked in this game. If someone dies, hire a new person. If some characters get too many bad traits, don't cure them, just dismiss them and get new ones. Eventually you'll have a party with the good characters and that party will advance. Then you'll have a secondary party to use while the first party rests from a higher level dungeon, same thing. Groom the secondary party so that whenever someone in the primary party dies, it's replaced by an appropriate character from the secondary party, etc.

This is not an RPG, don't get attached to the characters. They will die.
The RNG will always be there, but if you play your cards right, you'll minimize the effect of the randomness.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok, I do have to comment that there is one thing that I find annoying. I forget the exact character class name, but it is the one that can transform into a beast/werewolf. I simply don't get why it causes stress to the other characters in your group. I mean seriously if you think about it, the other guys would cheering like crazy/laughing as one of their guys turned into that hulking beast and then starts tearing the heads off the enemy because it is on their side. I would think it would only cause stress on the character that has to make the transformation....

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Ok, I do have to comment that there is one thing that I find annoying. I forget the exact character class name, but it is the one that can transform into a beast/werewolf. I simply don't get why it causes stress to the other characters in your group. I mean seriously if you think about it, the other guys would cheering like crazy/laughing as one of their guys turned into that hulking beast and then starts tearing the heads off the enemy because it is on their side. I would think it would only cause stress on the character that has to hmake the transformation....

Ah yea, Abominations. Tough class to play because stress is so important to keep minimized.

The worst part is that if you have more than one Abomination in your party, they stress each other out!

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Ok, I do have to comment that there is one thing that I find annoying. I forget the exact character class name, but it is the one that can transform into a beast/werewolf. I simply don't get why it causes stress to the other characters in your group. I mean seriously if you think about it, the other guys would cheering like crazy/laughing as one of their guys turned into that hulking beast and then starts tearing the heads off the enemy because it is on their side. I would think it would only cause stress on the character that has to make the transformation....

Because, if there wasn't a minor penalty to transforming (and you get some of it back when you go back) there would be no reason not to transform.

It's far more difficult to manage stress on the abomination himself than the party. What annoys me them most is religious people won't party with him.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Because, if there wasn't a minor penalty to transforming (and you get some of it back when you go back) there would be no reason not to transform.

It's far more difficult to manage stress on the abomination himself than the party. What annoys me them most is religious people won't party with him.

But that is my point, the penalty should simply be on the abomination and not the party. I don't disagree that there shouldn't be a penalty, but as I said, the rest of the party should actually be relieved, and not stressed, by the fact that they have a superbeast on their side that is going to rip the enemy to pieces.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok, so I think I have found my favorite party: Jester/Vestal/Hellion/Hellion. You might say why the Jester and not a Plague Doctor, because stress relief and easy movement within the party. I have actually been able to take different Hellions and Vestals in this grouping and come away with less stress in the party after the mission than they had when going into the mission. I have one of the hellions setup with a stun bonus, and the other with damage bonus. The Vestal is either healing or stunning, and the Jester is pretty much usually stress release.

If the enemy uses skills to move your party around, the Hellions can both charge (which moves that forward 1 spot while attacking the first 3 enemys), and the Jester can use heroic end (if at the front) which moves him to the rear, or "solo" which will move him completely to the front (which you then use heroic end to move to the rear again). You can also battle ballad and buff your hellions which will then be doing monstrous crits almost constantly in low light. Which essentially means that these skills reorder your team back to the proper locations without needing to waste a single turn on party ordering.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Not really. There is most certainly skill involved, and it is called knowing when you are in too deep and cut your losses and abandon that quest.

The problem with this is that the same crew with the same stats in the same fight can get annihilated through repeated bad rolls, or win easily, irrelevant of skill.

All it amounts to is a kind of grinding where you level a bunch of character with repetitive play throughs, suffering consant unlucky blows, only to throw them at a boss who rolls a 6 and kills you.

There are good ways of doing perma death and things like that, but simply making it a dice roll is just stupid. Loads of games balance it well such as Demon's souls where skill is the deciding factor in fights and not random luck.

You can mix extreme difficulty and risk with a system that demand skill and make a workable game, but you can't mix extreme difficulty and risk with a system that can randomly dick you over, that ought to be common sense to just about anyone but seems to have escaped the devs.

Sure the game has a tiny hardcore following who love that kind of thing for whatever reason, and that's fine, but let's not pretend this game is even remotely suitable for the vast majority of gamers who are looking for fair and balanced gameplay mechanics.