abbasdr

Nov 20, 2010
www.heatware.com
Hi,

I have DAP-1950 WiFi Range Extender. I am in Canada.

The extender was dropping connection, slow download/upload speeds, so I decided to update the Firware to Firmware (1.02) from this DLink Page;

After the update the Range Extender will start, start flashing orange but it does not transmit SSID nor I can connect to the setting page via LAN Cable, said Unidentified Network and wouldn't go to the setting page via browser or their Android App.

I tried resting it etc. After digging through the forum I flashed the Firmware with Holding Reset button and then rebooting it.
I used fixed IP on my PC;
IP: 192.168.0.05
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway & DHCP Server:192.168.0.50

The lights went off the WiFi Extender and it flashed the firmware and the Browser reported successful flashing.

However, now the Range Extender is stuck in red light flashing constantly. I tried resetting etc. but no luck.

D-Link online chat is pretty useless.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Switch to using a powerline adapter--faster and more reliable. :D

If it's flashing red and is still under warranty, I would just exchange it because it sounds like it got bricked. The initial problems might have been an indication of failing hardware that failed once the new firmwares were loaded.

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
Agreed, if its bricked it will be a time sink usually not worth it.
Wifee got one free somehow through Amazon and slickdeals, and used it for my mom and it worked pretty well. However it wasn't a dlink, would never buy them or netgear, etc.

Either buy a better branded one, or look at powerline as SamirD suggests.
Or, buy a used Arriba 215 off of eBay like I just did and get another AP connected to your router.
Or, if you don't want to run cable, google your router and mesh and see if anyone has been able to set up a mesh with a cheapo router.