Danny Glover fired by MCI because of his political stance.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Good. Maybe some of those Hollywood dimbulbs will learn that ignorance has consequences.
.bh.
:moon:

TaylorD

Diamond Member
May 13, 2000
What hasnt been said here is that MSNBC and FoxNews are businesses trying to make MONEY. Anything that attracts viewers, in any way, is a good thing. Unfortunate as this may be, it is the truth. (I have long believed that news, especially network nightly news, should be commercial free, so there would be no incentive for sensationalism...but that isnt going to happen) The mere fact that theres some backlash from this is great news for MSNBC : people are paying attention.

What I dont understand are all the criticisms of Scarborough (at least related to this instance) -
So hes right wing, so what? The networks are trying new things to attract viewers. Donohue had his shot and his liberal-oriented show flopped. Like stated above, if Scarborough can get viewers, whether they watch because they agree with him, or because they disagree, he's going to keep his job. If people exercise their right and DO NOT watch, then he'll lose his job. Hell, if you're so anti-scarborough, organize a campaign and petition MSNBC to remove him, or threaten to not watch the show.
So he thought Glover should be fired? He has every right to state that opinion, and viewers have every right to call and complain to MCI. Thats their right to free speech, in response to Glover's exercising his right to free speech.

The bottom line with sales is to remain neutral. I doubt very much someone would choose someone like scarborough or donohue to sell their product. If Glover thought he could keep his image as a salesman and his public statements seperate, he was wrong. Think about it, if a travelling salesman showed up at your door in a full Ku Klux Klan outfit, would that not affect whether or not you bought a vacuum? Even if he wasn't wearing the outfit, you just knew he was a klansmen, wouldn't that affect your chances of purchasing? And what if you were the company owner, would you choose someone with divisive views to sell your product? The key to choosing a good salesman is to choose someone who will appeal to the largest number of potential clients.

Free speech is great - Glover is free to speak his mind, and those who disagree are free to speak their minds. Free speech is guaranteed to us, but that does not mean there will not be consequences for what one says.

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison
Not too long ago I remember reading about a similar effort to shut down Rush Limbaugh. I wonder if those outraged by by Glubber losing his job, would have been outraged if Limbaugh was looking for a new job.

There is a difference here.

ONE Limbaugh makes his money because of his political veiws and Glover gets to express political veiws because of his OTHER WORK.

If Limbaugh was to get fired because of something inflamatory he said then fine. Glover did not lose his acting job he lost a sponser. IF a company decides tthey do not want limbaugh to pitch there product so be it. The only fault I would see would be that of the person who made the choice to HIRE Rush. I mean the reason he is as popular is his political veiws.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: tm37
Originally posted by: charrison
Not too long ago I remember reading about a similar effort to shut down Rush Limbaugh. I wonder if those outraged by by Glubber losing his job, would have been outraged if Limbaugh was looking for a new job.

There is a difference here.

ONE Limbaugh makes his money because of his political veiws and Glover gets to express political veiws because of his OTHER WORK.

If Limbaugh was to get fired because of something inflamatory he said then fine. Glover did not lose his acting job he lost a sponser. IF a company decides tthey do not want limbaugh to pitch there product so be it. The only fault I would see would be that of the person who made the choice to HIRE Rush. I mean the reason he is as popular is his political veiws.

Also I'm sure EIB does lose a few advertisers every once in a while due to Rush's statements, but you don't hear him bitch and moan about it.

CkG

PS - EIB stands for "Excellence In Broadcasting", a fictional network Rush uses to describe his radio show. Clear Channel Communications is actually the network who carries Rush. ;)