Daniel Prude: George Floyd 2.0

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003

The graphic here looks as bad or worse than Floyd. Prude is out of his mind, having some sort of mental break. Gets a "spit hood" over his head, which looks more like a canvas sack, and police forcefully push his head to the ground until he expires.

Prepare for more protests and riots.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Defund the police—refund the asylums.

Edit: ok I’m being flippant at 2am but seriously, there needs to be some sort of mental health/ first responder/EMT service and facilities for temporary restraint of people having an episode. Jail isn’t the place for it, but nobody wants the insane asylums and lobotomists back.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Here's the autopsy report:

Which is not good for the police, because it lists "asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint" as a contributing cause of death.

Unfortunately the city waited 5 months to inform the family and the public about this. Ouch.

Crossing my fingers for no rioting here, but not hopeful.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This case is more complicated. Police are not equipped to handle these types of disturbances on their own. Half the personnel onsite should have been medical professionals.

Family members called the police and it was known he was suffering from mental problems.

Note this post to all the righties that accuse the left of making everything racist.

Last edited:

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Yeah this one is tough—from what I understand this guy was naked and told cops he was Covid positive and started spitting—so they put the hood on. The hood is made of fine mesh and is designed to be breathable. But in his mental state, the hood triggered his fight or flight instinct so then they restrained him. They had already called paramedics before the “chokehold” was applied but for some reason they took forever to get there.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I just don't understand the fucking need of the officers putting knees on people's fucking necks when they are in cuffs and on the ground. It makes absolutely no sense. Like if you have to keep him down, just sit on their back or put your knee into the middle of their back. Why the neck?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Tough one for sure. But a good example of where police are ill equipped to handle this sort of situation. This is where "defund the police" (horrible choice of words in my opinion) comes into play. Money spent on riot gear and urban tanks should be redistributed to create new positions/departments of mental health and social workers that are better equipped (skill and education wise) to handle events like these - they can not be properly defused and handled with brute force or "obedience to the law".

These cops in the video were put into an impossible situation based on their training and skill set. There needs to be companions to police (and vice versa) for situations like these and similar.

Reactions: Pohemi

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I just don't understand the fucking need of the officers putting knees on people's fucking necks when they are in cuffs and on the ground. It makes absolutely no sense. Like if you have to keep him down, just sit on their back or put your knee into the middle of their back. Why the neck?

They don't. But it's the "tool" they've been taught. And it needs to stop.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Not just physical control, but dominance of the subject. Less likely to struggle with that knee on their neck than the middle of their back where they might still be capable of struggling. o_O

Nov 29, 2006

I couldnt quite tell from the video, but it looked like the knee was on the back and one officer was just holding his head down. Didnt look like much force was applied to the head, more just holding it. But again its hard to tell in the dark. But i agree with others this one will be a bit harder to judge due to the victims circumstance of PCP, corona? etc. At least they came at him with tasers and overall seemed to be trying to help the guy. But im sure it will be amped up by the media to get people to protest, which will lead to riots again.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I couldnt quite tell from the video, but it looked like the knee was on the back and one officer was just holding his head down. Didnt look like much force was applied to the head, more just holding it. But again its hard to tell in the dark. But i agree with others this one will be a bit harder to judge due to the victims circumstance of PCP, corona? etc. At least they came at him with tasers and overall seemed to be trying to help the guy. But im sure it will be amped up by the media to get people to protest, which will lead to riots again.
I'd like to give the cops the benefit of the doubt as you did but their actions suggest otherwise.

If cops have data that immediately vindicates them they always release it right away. I mean ask yourself if you had something that immediately would clear your name, you generally would want the entire world to see it.

the fact that they buried this for 5 months, and lied to the mayor about what happened is proof of what they thought about their actions (similar to the laquan macdonald case in chicago where they buried it for 9 months until finally it came out because of a journalist and the cop got sentenced to jail for murder). If the tape really showed they did nothing wrong it would have been released right away.

Reactions: Pohemi

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I think it plays out differently than George Floyd because the cops didn't exhibit the depraved indifference of kneeling on a suspect's neck for 8-1/2 minutes. They fucked up, but they weren't trying to kill the guy.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
I am replying to your post but could be said of almost any of the police situations that have occurred in the recent past.

Police departments do need to change. Police are trained to handle situations in a certain way. I don't know if they all have the same "playbook". Yes, some cops are not trained properly or do things different than what their training stated should happen. These particular situations need to go to court and not be brushed under the rug or always be an instant win for police.

I spoke of change earlier. These police departments need to undergo proper change management. Camden, NJ is a good example. Not sure if every city has to close their PD and then hire people again under a new program. At the very least, new training has to be provided and all cops recertified. They also need to be shown how to adjust to the change. Otherwise, it's not going to stick and the same shit will happen.

railer

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2000
another lynching by the police, and they sat on it for months
Yep and I'm sure the black cops involved and the black chief of police were involved in this racist "lynching" too, am I right?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I think it plays out differently than George Floyd because the cops didn't exhibit the depraved indifference of kneeling on a suspect's neck for 8-1/2 minutes. They fucked up, but they weren't trying to kill the guy.

Agreed, though the "fuck up" could possibly be manslaughter.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Yep and I'm sure the black cops involved and the black chief of police were involved in this racist "lynching" too, am I right?

If they knew about it and kept quiet, then yes they were involved. The police chief absolutely should resign.

The mayor was given a direct lie about the cause of death and the evidence was buried for 5 months. It was only because an attorney fielded a records request that it came to light. Had this family not been able to afford an attorney, nothing would have happened and justice would never have been served. This is no different than what happened with the Lacquan Mcdonald case in chicago where the cop was given a desk job for 9 months before the tapes came out and he was indicted for murder. Other cops were also indicted for falsifying records in a cover up I believe.

Honestly I used to believe that it was a few bad apples. I think now good apples are actually the exception when it comes to policing. Something needs to be done about the ethical state of policing in the US.

Reactions: KMFJD

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Rochester... just one of many has-been places all across the Rust Belt. Just say "Thanks, Job Creators!"

Reactions: hal2kilo

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Good. He should resign.
No one is above the law. Police officers seem to forget that.

Nov 8, 2012
Here's the autopsy report:

Which is not good for the police, because it lists "asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint" as a contributing cause of death.

Unfortunately the city waited 5 months to inform the family and the public about this. Ouch.

Crossing my fingers for no rioting here, but not hopeful.

5 months to inform his family and his family wasn't able to find it out themselves?

Boy I'm sure they were an incredibly loving part of his life....

Or at least, that's what they will make it out to be when the press interviews them.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
5 months to inform his family and his family wasn't able to find it out themselves?

Boy I'm sure they were an incredibly loving part of his life....

Or at least, that's what they will make it out to be when the press interviews them.

How is it the family's fault? Are you just assuming they didn't ask?