Dane-Elec 80 GB SSD (Intel Gen 1) kit $125 AR free shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Oh boy... It's back in a native 2.5" form and $35 less. $200 - $75 rebate. $1.5 per GIG for an Intel Gen 1. No TRIM, but from personal experience and shown in a pcper 8820 firmware review, it's shouldn't be an issue because it's got good garbage collection. Comes with a 3 year warranty, USB enclosure and Acronis cloning software on USB. Perfect for optical drive-less net/notebooks.

Grab one before I change my mind and get another :)

thanks kiljim... i forgot http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820157043

Last edited:

hellod9

Sep 16, 2007
how much of a difference does trim make? Really? This is a tempting price, but I don't want a slow drive a year from now...

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
I believe at this stage the entire TRIM/garbage collection is overblown. The people that spread FUD on it are from those who got burned at the cost of SSDs and benchmark them to a point that's unrealistic in real life. SSD were bleeding edge. It's from their blood that the rest of us benefit from the lessons learned and improvements manufactures make.

Which Intel has done with the last firmware of this drive. If they believe they have a slow Intel drive a year from now. Perhaps it's time to give the benchmarking a rest and let the drive heal itself. Just give it a little space (not full) and a some time and it'll figure itself out.

Last edited:

rolodomo

Mar 19, 2004
Thanks, I bought two. These G1(s) based SSD(s) will never get down to half this price ($75) for 80GB, they'll probably disappear before then. If they do, no big deal because $125 isn't a lot to shell out anyway.

I'm going to array them on ICH10R in a HTPC I'm builing from old parts. ICH10R doesn't pass trim, so no loss there. BTW, if anyone reading this is wondering why I would array SSD(s) on "software" ICH10R, you haven't been keeping up. Intel SSD(s) arranged in (low over-head) RAID 0 work very well on ICH10R (you can far exceed Sata II speeds)!!

If I ever feel I'm missing trim, I'll use Acronis to backup/restore while I re-init the SSD(s).

Also like the 2.5 size, as I might eventually end up throwing them into a notebook and netbook I have lying around.

One thing I don't like is depending on the large rebate.

Last edited:

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
Seems like a real waste for a HTPC when 1TB+ "green" drives are selling for 1/2 this price. I can understand the potential cooling and noise/vibration issues that one may want to avoid, but RAID 0 in a HTPC?

ew915

Jun 19, 2001
Thanks, I bought two. These G1(s) based SSD(s) will never get down to half this price ($75) for 80GB, they'll probably disappear before then. If they do, no big deal because $125 isn't a lot to shell out anyway.

I'm going to array them on ICH10R in a HTPC I'm builing from old parts. ICH10R doesn't pass trim, so no loss there. BTW, if anyone reading this is wondering why I would array SSD(s) on "software" ICH10R, you haven't been keeping up. Intel SSD(s) arranged in (low over-head) RAID 0 work very well on ICH10R (you can far exceed Sata II speeds)!!

If I ever feel I'm missing trim, I'll use Acronis to backup/restore while I re-init the SSD(s).

Also like the 2.5 size, as I might eventually end up throwing them into a notebook and netbook I have lying around.

One thing I don't like is depending on the large rebate.

I just have to say that $150 is a lot money to loan out, too much risk for me to take.

rolodomo

Mar 19, 2004
Seems like a real waste for a HTPC when 1TB+ "green" drives are selling for 1/2 this price. I can understand the potential cooling and noise/vibration issues that one may want to avoid, but RAID 0 in a HTPC?

Fair point, I neglected to say I also want my machine to also boot up Win7 and do 1080p gaming, (q9550/4890), which I'll run on the array. I also have a spare WD green 2TB and it is definately going in there for storage.

I just have to say that $150 is a lot money to loan out, too much risk for me to take.

Yes, it is a big risk. I'll report back if they stiff me.

Status
Not open for further replies.