Damnnn drug needles feel gooood -Ask me about chemotherapy and cancer stuff

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Glad to hear you're doing well.

They use the E. Coli to express the protein. The drug is developed, and since it's a fairly large or complicated protein, they genetically engineer bacteria to actually produce it. Then, they let the bacteria grow, and extract the drug out. It's more efficient than trying to do large scale peptide synthesis.

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
Yeah, I was some-what quoted 70% chance. Which probably eased me off. MRI's are the long ass revolving scans right? Man I'm gonna miss being in the clinic.

Its amazing what can be done. I've been told that it sucked even more in the old days without the advancement of the shot plus medicines.

Pics are up!

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
i remember you posting the thread when you first found out something was odd with your extraction and they wanted to check into it further. at first i was skeptical of the dental student who did the work on you because of the way you described it, but now, looking back, it was pretty lucky that you went in for that dental work and they found the cancer when they did.

thanks for the pics. they are really informative.
and, hey, it looks like you've done real well with this, and will continue to. :thumbsup:

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
I hope you make a full recovery. My grandma had lymphoma and breast cancer and she said the absolutely DREADED the chemo sessions. They had to half the amount of chemo and double the timespan because she could not handle the drugs. She often complained that she felt as if her body was on fire whenever they were administering the medicine. She wouldnt have energy to get out of the bed for more than a day after her sessions.

It has been 2 years since her last chemo session and she is doing very well now. It is a horrible disease and I hope you can make a full recovery and live a long and happy life.

BTW, how old are you?

Mike2002

Jan 11, 2004
intogamer-->are you sure you aren't taking any more meds that could make you feel better other than the neupogen. Every time I had it I would have this terrible bone and joint pain. No feeling of a "high" for me. Maybe you're lucky though.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: intogamer
I didn't feel much of a dying point when everything came to me. When I went home after that, I just continued to play games on the computer and browse ATOT:D

:thumbsup:

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
I did give a rambling to my doctor, about going through metal detectors with titanium plating, and such. School has failed me, because my doctor informed me that titanium is not an iron. Its good to know that my dead-body (knock on wood) is going to be worth something. I've been treated by the best doctors or professors in this matter, and I can't ask for a better job. My face is near-perfect in symmetry, the only thing that is mentioned a lot is the scar on my throat, and of course my left leg. Moshquerade, I can provide more pictures as time comes, like implants and such. Almost every time I'm at the Oral Surgeons for an appointment, there are always students checking my stuff out. :D

I don't think that most people are informed by their doctors, that younger patients are bound to recover quickly. That being, that most of you all are quite older than me. I would have definitely dreaded chemotherapy if I was old. I'm glad that she and nanostuff is doing fine. I was diagnosed at the age of 14.5. Regarding about additional meds, they do put me on IV Zofran, and something else during chemotherapy. Again, I don't get that 'high' feeling, as I was exaggerating a bit too much. But probably because I'm still young, and as I've said about recovering quickly. I'm fairly certain that I am able to react with Neupogen quickly, because my body is growing. I do have prescription Zofran if I get nauseas, but I never had to take any of that.

Mike2002, if you haven't been told, Neupogen can cause bone, joint pain, muscle aches because it is stimulating your bone marrow to create blood cells. I once did have lower back pain, and was informed that your body(bone marrow) gets "tired" from working. I'm sure that your bone marrow is just tired, if you didn't have any joint pain, you could probably feel the "high" or "rejuvenated" feeling. But sometimes I do feel crappy, because I am not well hydrated. A trip to the clinic for fluids or water will take care of that. I can really feel it when it 'kicks in' on a crappy day :D

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: WingZero94
What type of cancer / etc?

Ewing's Sarcoma in the left jaw bone. All my lower left teeth was removed and gums. Jaw bone is reconstructed with my fibula bone from my left leg with titanium plating:cool:. Tissue and Skin from my leg were graphed into the mouth where the gum were. The fat from the tissue has been less over time, as it form more of a a replacement for my gums. Teeth implants will be possible in 1-2 years. I'm also doing fine with no fibula bone connected.

ouch!!!! titanuim plating eh? shall we change your user name to Jaws? :D

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Geekbabe, Senior AnandTech Moderator

hzl eyed grl

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Wow. Keep up the good work/attitude. I know cancer isn't something that's fun to have. You get some good pics out of it, though, right? :thumbsup: (I have one from inside my brain. Don't know where it is, though. hmmmmm.....)

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
"I have jaws of STEEEEEEL" :D I eat rocks like a champ.... err I mean foood :p

My recovery isn't going "speedy" because of my attitude. I don't always go to my chemotherapy on scheduled, sometimes 3-5 days late. :Q Maybe, I have a tumor too in my brain telling me to go :D

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

My recovery isn't going "speedy" because of my attitude. I don't always go to my chemotherapy on scheduled, sometimes 3-5 days late. :Q Maybe, I have a tumor too in my brain telling me to go :D

dude, just go when you are supposed to. do the right thing.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Good luck with your recovery man! It does sound like you have a good attitude about it and that always help.......alot!:thumbsup::)

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: moshquerade

dude, just go when you are supposed to. do the right thing.

Yes, you should just go. You're probably causing headaches within the hospital because you mess around with schedules and waste time.

Being positive is good, but there is a limit.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: WingZero94
What type of cancer / etc?

Ewing's Sarcoma in the left jaw bone. All my lower left teeth was removed and gums. Jaw bone is reconstructed with my fibula bone from my left leg with titanium plating:cool:. Tissue and Skin from my leg were graphed into the mouth where the gum were. The fat from the tissue has been less over time, as it form more of a a replacement for my gums. Teeth implants will be possible in 1-2 years. I'm also doing fine with no fibula bone connected.

:shocked: dat some serious sh1t! Here's to a good recovery!

Do your upper teeth irritate the new lower jaw?