Damnit I am stupid sometimes!!!!

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Ok, so I have been buying a lot of stuff lately, and like an idiot, haven't keeping good enough records... So yesterday, I placed an order for $500 worth of audio equipment for my car on my debit card, only to find out that I only had $190 in my checking account... Today, I looked in my account and my balance was for -$310... Here's my question, why didn't the company deny the purchase on the card? or could it have been because something else hadn't cleared yet and I did have the money in there when they debited it... Another thing, if I put like $350 in the account tomorrow, to give me back a + balance, do you think I am in the clear? If a company calls me tomorrow and says that it bounced, or something else went wrong, how much am I going to have to pay for my fvck up...

Please, do not give me any lectures on how I fvcked up... I know I fvcked up, and I know what I did wrong... Thanks.

Placer14

Platinum Member
Sep 17, 2001
You'll still pay overdraft charge to bank.

If they covered you, you'll still get your merchandise. You should call the bank and fine out. But you'll get an overdraft charge. ;)

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: her209
Put money in the account anyways.

I am definitely putting money in the account tomorrow. I am just wondering if it will be better when I do, or of something is going to bounce.

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
i didnt think it was possible to overcharge with a debt card?? ... because one time i went to buy a sandwidch with only 3 dollars in my account... turns out the sandwidch was 4 bucks and it bounced.. it was really embrassing... maybe it depends on where you buy :confused:

-Bubbadu

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Placer14
You'll still pay overdraft charge to bank.

If they covered you, you'll still get your merchandise. You should call the bank and fine out. But you'll get an overdraft charge. ;)

Is an overdraft charge a percentage or a flat rate?

wolf papa

Dec 12, 1999
yes, it IS possible :eek:, it may depend on your bank. I would probably deposit the money and wait a few days before making any other transactions on that account. I think the charge at my bank (Bank of America) is $20 (maybe $25 now). It may be possible to get a printout of recent activity for that account, then compare to your checkbook to see if you have any other outstanding checks/withdrawals that haven't cleared yet.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: wolf papa
yes, it IS possible :eek:, it may depend on your bank. I would probably deposit the money and wait a few days before making any other transactions on that account. I think the charge at my bank (Bank of America) is $20 (maybe $25 now). It may be possible to get a printout of recent activity for that account, then compare to your checkbook to see if you have any other outstanding checks/withdrawals that haven't cleared yet.

So after I deposit the money I should just chill for a couple days and see if anyone calls me about any tracnsactions?

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
overdraft charge up here on the CIBC debit card is a whopping 21%, don't think it can top the previous NSF charge I got though ($70!Cdn)

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
I overdrew on my account not just once, but a few times because I was stupid too. You are not the only one.

My account at that time was at TCF. ( the ones in the Jewel's & Osco's ) My fee's were $26. both times.
I also overdrew once and only once at Bank of America. Fee was $29 + $3 a day. ( keep in mind I did not know till 5 days later when I got the notice in the mail ) How much was I overdrawn? It was 23 cents IIRC.

You think I would learn. But no, I still keep my balance in my head, and do not use a ledger.

Now my buisness OTOH is a different story. I have never overdrawn or even come close. I wrote down every last penny that comes in and out.

<edit>
Oh, I got one fo the $26 fees retuened to me whenI explained that I ordered something online, then canceled it a few minutes later, then reordered it from another vender. Only problem was the first had already withdrawn the money, so it was not there, and not returned for a day or 2. They didn't have to return it, but they did when I explained my story. Try telling them you were an idiot, "and am very sorry, can I please have my fees back?" worst that can happen is they say no.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Ahh you guys are making me feel better... I was worried that the company was gonna nail me for a bounced check... But that's cool, hopefully my rates are similar to yours so I won't get raped too badly...

Grasshopper27

Banned
Sep 11, 2002
If they charge you for NSF, call the bank and ask them to remove it.

Almost every bank will remove one or two a year if you ask nicely about it...

Grasshopper

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: grasshopper26

Grasshopper

hehe, ummm, what is NSF? I should know this because I just learned it in Accounting :)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Grasshopper

Indeed, if they see you haven't made a habit out of it they'll likely reverse it.

Viper GTS

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Beast1284

Grasshopper

hehe, ummm, what is NSF? I should know this because I just learned it in Accounting :)

Non Sufficient Funds

Viper GTS

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Grasshopper

Non Sufficient Funds

Viper GTS

dang, would have sworn it meant something else, oh well...

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Grasshopper

Non Sufficient Funds

Viper GTS

Perhaps?

Viper GTS

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
At my bank(well credit union) if you write a check with NSF they just take money out of your savings to cover it. An overdraft.. They will only do that twice a month.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000

Grasshopper

Non Sufficient Funds

Viper GTS

Perhaps?

Viper GTS

I just looked it up in my notes, and it's called NSF check, but it's not non-sufficient funds... Oh well, find out on monday