Damn You Arnold!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: AngryPirate
Originally posted by: TheWart
Well, Arnold is in a lose-lose situation. He has to raise revenue and lower spending, so some people have to suffer.

The frustrating part is that it seemed like most of the cuts targeted the low/middle class people. I didn't see any cuts that affect the wealthy people in the state.
Now you are changing the topic, which is it?

Your uspet because you have to pay more for college or you disagree with Arnold's solutions on tough decisions?

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Amused
You do realize that both the before price and after price is HEAVILY subsidized by taxes as it is, right???

How about you just pay the entire bill, instead of saddling tax payers with the vast majority of your education bill?

Where did you attend college?

Georgia. I worked two jobs to put myself through school after I got out of the Army.

What does this have to do with it?

I was under the impression that state schools were also funded by taxpayers money? Perhaps I'm wrong?

Yes, they are, but not nearly as much as community colleges. They get most of their funding from tuitions. It is the other way around for CCs.

Well as a junior I will be transferring to a private university which, to my knowledge, receives no state funding. Perhaps that will make my education okay with you?

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Anubis
I pay $17,500 a semester thats for 4 classes so thats $4,375 a course. 1 course = 1 credit

o the loans i am going to be paying back starting next year :(

How do your fees break down though?

My fees were always 2/3 of my total tuition. In grad school, 3 classes cost me $700, but after fees my bill was around $2,500.

Fees at TTU were raised by 100% in some areas, about 20% overall.

Aug 23, 2000
The reason the wealthy/rich don't get tax breaks is because they can afford top CPAs and stuff that find all the loop-holes so they don't have to pay taxes in the 1st place.

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Quixfire
Well, Arnold is in a lose-lose situation. He has to raise revenue and lower spending, so some people have to suffer.

The frustrating part is that it seemed like most of the cuts targeted the low/middle class people. I didn't see any cuts that affect the wealthy people in the state.

Your uspet because you have to pay more for college or you disagree with Arnold's solutions on tough decisions?

Umm, how about...C - All of the above?

It is possible to be upset with two different aspects of a situation you know...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I just fail to have any sympathy when a semesters worth of credit is raising by the cost of a burger basket and a pint of beer.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
You do realize that both the before price and after price is HEAVILY subsidized by taxes as it is, right???

How about you just pay the entire bill, instead of saddling tax payers with the vast majority of your education bill?

Georgia. I worked two jobs to put myself through school after I got out of the Army.

I was under the impression that state schools were also funded by taxpayers money? Perhaps I'm wrong?

Yes, they are, but not nearly as much as community colleges. They get most of their funding from tuitions. It is the other way around for CCs.

Well as a junior I will be transferring to a private university which, to my knowledge, receives no state funding. Perhaps that will make my education okay with you?

what the Fvuck? He dont give a crap where you get an education. you started complaining about cost of school. he pointed out that you could be paying more because its subisdised by the state.

sheesh stay on topic.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Quixfire

Umm, how about...C - All of the above?

It is possible to be upset with two different aspects of a situation you know...
Yes, I just wanted to make sure you weren't switching topics.

bo0

Dec 3, 2003
I know exactly how you feel Pirate. I'm taking some JC online classes here in San Diego myself, and that is a dramatic increase in price(percentage wise). Hey if it makes you feel better, at least you dont owe 11k in student loan like i do:|

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: vi_edit
I just fail to have any sympathy when a semesters worth of credit is raising by the cost of a burger basket and a pint of beer.

Umm its per unit. Normal workloads are 12-18 units per semester. I have never said we are talking about skyrate numbers here, just that I would think someone as pro-education as Arnold claimed to be would have made cuts elsewhere.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
$390 a semester? Outrage, I'm flabbergasted! When your tuition actually becomes unaffordable, then come back to us and complain.

Maybe he meant per credit?

I currently pay about $300 per credit, each class is usually 3 credits, so a full semester runs about $5000.

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: waggy

what the Fvuck? He dont give a crap where you get an education. you started complaining about cost of school. he pointed out that you could be paying more because its subisdised by the state.

sheesh stay on topic.

I am staying on topic. He made the comment that Ishould knuckle up and pay the full cost of my education. I will be attending JC for two years and then private school for two years. He himself attended a state school that <gasp> received the same state funds, albeit not to the degree of a JC. It seems hypocritical to me.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit

Umm its per unit. Normal workloads are 12-18 units per semester. I have never said we are talking about skyrate numbers here, just that I would think someone as pro-education as Arnold claimed to be would have made cuts elsewhere.

Making you pay for services you are receiving rather than saddling all property owners with your bill is hardly a "cut."

Realize that your education bill is being paid by EVERYONE. Even the poor who are not in public housing. EVERYONE pays property taxes, even, as I said before, little old ladies in one room apartments living on a fixed pension eating cat food to get by.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy

sheesh stay on topic.

I am staying on topic. He made the comment that Ishould knuckle up and pay the full cost of my education. I will be attending JC for two years and then private school for two years. He himself attended a state school that <gasp> received the same state funds, albeit not to the degree of a JC. It seems hypocritical to me.

I attended a state school because it had what I wanted. If I could have my way, I would change the way it's funded. But I'm not King of America (yet).

The key here is, would I complain if tuitions went up while tax payer burden went down? No. THAT is where hypocrisy would lie, if there was any. And there is none.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Me and my sister had to fork over about $10k/year for our schools. If I only had to pay $400/semester I would've had my student loans paid off in about 3 months instead of 4 years.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
While reading about the propsed budget put forth by Governor Schwarzeneggar, I noticed that there is another fee hike for Community Colleges!! This time last year, it cost $11 per unit to attend JC in California. Gray Davis put the fees up to $18/unit and now if this passes through the legislature, I will be paying $26/unit! Grrrrr... The upcoming semester cost me $270 in tuition. Last year it would have cost $165. Next year it will cost $390.

Who can I write to express my opposal to this action? I am fully aware that my letter will have little effect on the outcome, but I still want to take advantage of my civil liberites and make my opinions known. Should I just write my congressman?

b!tching about paying 26 a unit? You can suck it..We are over 30 here

ThaPerculator

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
Ahhnold's response:

"STOP WHINING!!!"
"I hope you left room for my fist, because I'm going to RAM IT INTO YOUR STOMACH AND RIP OUT YOUR SPINE!"
"You Son of a 8itch!"
"You LACK DISCIPLINE!!"

and possibly...
"Who is your daddy, and what does he do???"

Gotta love the Ahhnuld prank phone calls...

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
$390 a semester? Outrage, I'm flabbergasted! When your tuition actually becomes unaffordable, then come back to us and complain.

no, it now is unaffordable. I HAVE to get some sort of scholarship if I want to continue school. I could go with $18 a unit. But now I cant even afford to pay for my classes let alone books. This really makes me angry because now I cant go to to school until I save up moe money.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
More power to him. He realizes that he can raise CC tuition to $26/credit, and still provide one of the lowest tuition rates in the country. When you're looking for costs to cut, you look for areas that are too low already. He can improve the states budget, and still keep college quite affordable. Heck, I paid $1200/semester and thought that was cheap (at a university).

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I don't have time to read the entire thing, but you sir are a moron. $390 for tuition and you are complaining? Surely you realize that it doesn't even begin to cover the costs of what it actually takes to run a school. Go to a private college or a state university and you'll find out that $390 won't even get you one unit. Community College....."I here to get my learn on!"

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Rob9874
More power to him. He realizes that he can raise CC tuition to $26/credit, and still provide one of the lowest tuition rates in the country. When you're looking for costs to cut, you look for areas that are too low already. He can improve the states budget, and still keep college quite affordable. Heck, I paid $1200/semester and thought that was cheap (at a university).

$26 per credit for community college is still the lowest in the nation...