Damn WiFi

F1N3ST

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2006
So it's been a while since I've posted here, but I have run across a problem in my travels. I just completed Navy boot camp like a week ago, and since I've been living in Charleston, SC at the Naval Nuclear Power Training Command. I got some Comcast Xfinity internet yesterday, set up my router (Belkin N300), and am extremely dissatisfied with the speed. When I ran my laptop directly off the router, I was getting great speeds, but with WiFi, I'm getting like 60 kb/s.... From 2mb/s hardwire. Not sure how I can improve it. I downloaded Network Stumbler but my wireless adapter isn't supported. I tried channels 1, 6, 11 but no noticeable increase in speed. Not sure if say 2, 5, or 7 would do anything so I come here for advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
So it's been a while since I've posted here, but I have run across a problem in my travels. I just completed Navy boot camp like a week ago, and since I've been living in Charleston, SC at the Naval Nuclear Power Training Command. I got some Comcast Xfinity internet yesterday, set up my router (Belkin N300), and am extremely dissatisfied with the speed. When I ran my laptop directly off the router, I was getting great speeds, but with WiFi, I'm getting like 60 kb/s.... From 2mb/s hardwire. Not sure how I can improve it. I downloaded Network Stumbler but my wireless adapter isn't supported. I tried channels 1, 6, 11 but no noticeable increase in speed. Not sure if say 2, 5, or 7 would do anything so I come here for advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Which Belkin?

If it's the old, boxy F7D7302 you can flash it with Tomato. There are instructions at the Amazon page (top review). You can then do a wireless survey from the router itself. I'm guessing either your area is horribly overloaded on 2.4ghz or the stock firmware is junk, maybe both.

If it's the new, slim F9K1002 there's no firmware improvement possible.

You could also use an app to check the wifi signals from your phone.

If all the channels on 2.4ghz are overloaded, you may have to switch to 5ghz. The practicality of that depends on whether your laptop supports it, how big your space is, etc.

F1N3ST

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2006
It's the new slim one. I think my laptop should support it because it's brand new. Do you know an app for android? And should I try other channels besides 1 6 and 11? Thanks.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
It's the new slim one. I think my laptop should support it because it's brand new. Do you know an app for android? And should I try other channels besides 1 6 and 11? Thanks.

I use Wifianalyzer, seems to do the job just fine.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I have not seen people have good experiences with Belkins. If you can, you may want to try a different brand, like Linksys or Netgear.

F1N3ST

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2006
I have not seen people have good experiences with Belkins. If you can, you may want to try a different brand, like Linksys or Netgear.

Yeah... I hesitated because I usually buy Linksys... I should have trusted that first instinct, lol.

F1N3ST

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2006
This is so annoying, trying to download Steam games. It maxed out at 2.5 mb/s and is usually around 40 kb/s. But it's at 0 bytes/s half the time. I never lose connectivity though. FUUUU

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
Had issues with a Belkin before too where signal would drop out of nowhere and my Mac Mini had issues keeping a constant connection.

I now have Ubiquiti UniFi's around the house and will never be going back to a retail wifi router again. Even the expensive ones just can't compare to the power, speed, and reliability of a UniFi.