Damn professors who don't curve

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Just got back the results of the Organic Chem II exam I took Monday night. A freaking 37%.:( Countless hours of studying wasted to score a damn 37%.

Of course in lecture he informs us that the class average was below 50%. What a joke.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
So, is your final grade going to be on a 100 point scale or is he going to grade along a distribution?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: LordJezo
So the 37% will be a C..

whats the big deal?
He does not curve at all. Just told us that in order to make people understand more we now have weekly tests.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
My physics prof didn't curve anything until the end of the course. I had about a 40% average on all of the tests in that class.

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
No professor dosent curve a class like that.

Otherwise everyone would fail.

Then he would get in trouble.

He might say he dosent curve per-say, but, he wont fail an entire class.

Aug 14, 2001
I had a class where the average on one test was a 22-24 or so. I think I got about a 28-32. There was also no curve in the class. The class overall average grade ended up being a D (I got a C or C+).

Beattie

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2001
Dont believe that BS. they have to curve at some point or all the students will fail and they will get fired.

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
Trust me a curve is not always a good thing.

I was kindly told by a professor once if you want a curve its going to be a bell curve.
Meaning Most people are getting Cs. Also some people will get A's and some will get F's
no matter what their grades are.
And that same grading style got my old college roommate an F in a basic chem class.
His final grade was a 71. Happened that was the worst average so he got an F because
it was bell curved. He had to beg to get a D.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
LOL, why the hell should there be a curve for a subject where the answers are either right or wrong ?

does the world really need chemists who are wrong 2/3 of the time ?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch
LOL, why the hell should there be a curve for a subject where the answers are either right or wrong ?

:) Wanna catch a beer?

Aug 14, 2001

I've never taken Organic Chemistry, but some classes at some universities are actually designed to be so difficult that a 50% on a test is OK.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001

Because if the entire class is low then that is almost certainly the fault of the professor. Yeah, it's possible that the whole class could be idiots, but not likely in an Organic II class. The low grades are an indication that the teacher isn't doing his job in getting the material across to the students.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001

True, but I am not a damn chemist. This is one of those fail out courses.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
LOL, I flunked out of Illinois as a Chem E major, due to Organic Chem II. Actually, Chem E majors had to take Advanced Organic Chem II. I would get similar scores, but the damned nerds at the U of I set the curve too high, and I got D's and F's. Hard stuff. They would be 3 hour exams, and the prof told us not to worry about finishing, as none of the grad student TA's finished in 3 hours either! :Q

BadgerFan

Aug 4, 2003
The reality is everyone did bad on the test so you are not alone. There is no way a professor would fail his entire class because that would pretty much be the end of his job. So wether he admits it or not he will adjust the grades at the end of the class so some of the people get decent grades, maybe not a lot of As, but some Bs and Cs. Just make it your goal to do better than say 60-70%of the people in the class, and I would HIGHLY doubt you would get less than a C or B.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
my macro economic prof said he will curve! 92 precentile for my first test, got 3 wrong out of 40 questions

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I bet what's going to happen is that the prof is going to look at the distribution. A set of scores will be considered A's, B's, and so on.

Like maybe the A set will be 55-65%, B's end up around 45-55, and so on, depending on how the scores are clustered.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I hated every class I ever took that was graded on a curve because every one in the class hated me for being a curve buster!!

OH yeah, I took Organic Chemistry I and II and it wasnt graded on a curve. Got an A in both. Of course there was less to learn in those days. :evil:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
What is the point in having a class where nobody can pass it? seems to be a waste of everybodys time and money.