Damn!!!!.....I need to start panhandling immediately!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Hmmm, panhandling sounds like like something I could do in my retirement, although the whole "I'm starving routine" might not work when the sign is on my fat ass.

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Tiamat
There are some beggars around in boston, I dont like handing out money, but occasionally Ill have leftovers from dinner after eating out and when I offer it to them, they take it as if it is gold. Now, there was a dude in chinatown who through the food on the ground after I gave it to him because I didnt give him money, perfectly good food mind you. That pissed me off.

In the last couple of years, I've noticed occasionally there has been a really old asian woman who has begged around the Copley area. That makes me especially sad since it's an elderly person and someone who probably can't speak English. Probably also partially because I'm asian.

Thanks guys for the idea about granola bars. I'll remember that next time I see someone that I think may actually need the help. If they refuse, I'll have a supply of granola bars I guess...

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I work in downtown Houston and it is as bad as it says in the article. I've been yelled at and called a racist (by a white homeless woman, no less) and I've seen a cop take down a panhandler after he took a swing at a guy because he refused to give him any money.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: compman25
One of our local news stations did a story on panhandlers here in Spokane and how much they make. They then listed the best place for panhandlers, it was Denver, where they said some panhandlers made $100k in a year.

yip i remember that story.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Downtown is pretty bad for panhandlers, but what's worse is the people who continue to give them money. I never have and never will give a panhandler money. Too many people feel guilty for some reason.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: darkxshade
I remember making a thread about this a year ago. I basically went through the math of how much a bum make off the subway and it felt like they made more money than me. A train has about 10 cars, assuming it takes 2 mins to go through each one, you can pretty much run through 2 trains in one hour(with wait time in between). If they made even 2 dollars/car(which is quite a low estimate), that's 40/hour of income that they probably don't report to the IRS. This was of course a rough estimate but it seems very likely that it could be a full time job.

Your stupidity worries me.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
It is even worse in poorer countries. There are freakishly deformed people in the streets of cities like Bangkok begging. There is one in Nana district that lies face down on the ground with his one arm raised all day long. Then there are the children. The problem is these people are put out there by begging cartels, and rarely do they keep much of their "earnings." Looking back on it I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not buying the mothers with their small children some food--generally they were begging in close proximity to a food stand.

Manila is even worse.. children in tattered clothing beg you for change, you give it to them and another few show up. Then their mother shows up. Then you're surrounded and they all want money. Problem is I'd usually just toss all my coins in the first person's hand and be out. These weren't people sent by cartels, they'd stop what they were doing and walk after you to get some money.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Farang
It is even worse in poorer countries. There are freakishly deformed people in the streets of cities like Bangkok begging. There is one in Nana district that lies face down on the ground with his one arm raised all day long. Then there are the children. The problem is these people are put out there by begging cartels, and rarely do they keep much of their "earnings." Looking back on it I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not buying the mothers with their small children some food--generally they were begging in close proximity to a food stand.

Manila is even worse.. children in tattered clothing beg you for change, you give it to them and another few show up. Then their mother shows up. Then you're surrounded and they all want money. Problem is I'd usually just toss all my coins in the first person's hand and be out. These weren't people sent by cartels, they'd stop what they were doing and walk after you to get some money.

That sounds similar to many cities in India. Its even worse though since if you even make eye contact with them they really start to harass you. Then there are the ones that are selling crap, and banging on the windows of your bus while its stationairy! I hate to be callous, but you give to one, and they won't stop!

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: kranky
Once I heard they had actual panhandler schools, I quit giving money. I'll offer to buy a meal but only once out of about 20 times did the guy take me up on it.

I'd take ya up on it... all those long hours of conning people out of their money can work up an appetite! :)

tranceport

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
www.thesystemsengineer.com
Originally posted by: CPA
I work in downtown Houston and it is as bad as it says in the article. I've been yelled at and called a racist (by a white homeless woman, no less) and I've seen a cop take down a panhandler after he took a swing at a guy because he refused to give him any money.

I'm in the same area. I had a guy come up to me looking for money. I ignored him and kept walking. He was black and I was white so he tried the race card. He also tried to say he was clean when I wouldn't shake his hand. So he grabs my arm and doesn't let go. He "detained" me begging for money and calling me names.

The adrenalin really kicked in when he said something along the lines of "if I cut you you bleed, if you cut me i bleed" I heard cut you and knew the situation was escalating and I tried harder to get away from him. Which I did and went into the restaurant I was headed to (near azuma's).

I'm glad the situation didn't make it to all out fight. This has made me want to have a CHL. Just not sure I could defend myself unarmed had the guy had a weapon. I've always worried what if I hadn't been able to get away.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Panhandlers (professional ones) generally make between $30,000 and $40,000 a year in Florida. Untaxed. Why would you want to work?

They had that hardcopy about 5 or so years ago ago the guy working the airport in NY making $60k (reported on his taxes) handing out blind/deaf cards...he played the part, but was actually fully sighted and had fine hearing.