Damn, I am pissed...........

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
I landed a job in May. Cool company, cool location, and the people are nice. I have a friend that works here. He is the one that got the ball rolling for me. Since he has been with the company for a while I knew what type of work was expected. I knew that I would travel a lot. Like 2-3 months out of the year. That was fine with me. Travelling is fun and you get paid overtime for it.

Well a few days ago, I was asked to travel 3-4 days a week. That honestly sucks. I don't mind traveling but I do not want to live in two places and that is essentially what they are asking of me. All I keep hearing is that this is a great opportunity. Well if they think it is so great then they should do it. Just because I am just out of college does not mean that it is a great opportunity to me. I have activities. I have a life outside of work. I have a fiancee.

Would it help me pay off my debt quicker? Sure but then what. I am not worried about my student loans. Money just isn't the biggest driving force for me. Being happy with my work life and my home life is the most important. This puts a MAJOR cramp in everything I do outside of work.

Yeah yeah yeah, I can hear it now. You should be happy you are employeed. I am happy but I also don't like getting the shaft. I was told I would have the opportunity to travel lots if I wanted to. Not that I would be forced into living in two different places.

Overall it just sours my experience. I will not be happy traveling to the same place week in and week out.

Oh yeah but it is a GREAT opportunity.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I guess some people like travel and others don't. It would probably be a good opportunity and I've always thought I wouldn't mind a good bit of travel with work, but the few times I've had to do it I've HATED having to go somewhere for a few days away from home.

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
When i first got this job, i didn't hesitate to tell them that I had no desire to travel. I have yet to be asked but several people working on my project have. I don't think they would force you to go if you absolutely didn't want to do this.

Toasthead

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
If you dont like your job, quit. There are probably 20 people who love to have it.

yruffostsif

Sep 8, 2003
you know, it's called paying your dues. Every college kid that I employ gets to do the work nobody else wants to, if they don't quit and do a good job, then they get opportunities. Otherwise it get's rid of the "I'm too good for that" punk who wants my job.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
I LIKE my job. I LIKE to travel. 3-4 days a week is NOT traveling to me. It is living in two different places. Money is a big issue but isn't the issue that drives me. Happiness in the long run is what I want and traveling 4 days a week will not create a happy Codewiz. No money will make that happen.

I can say that I would not be happy if I didn't have a job. I went down that road for a year after I graduated.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: yruffostsif
you know, it's called paying your dues. Every college kid that I employ gets to do the work nobody else wants to, if they don't quit and do a good job, then they get opportunities. Otherwise it get's rid of the "I'm too good for that" punk who wants my job.

LOL, I was brought in with about 70 other people. None of the other people are going to be traveling like I am. It has nothing to do with paying dues. And yes I do work that no one else wants to do. That is fine with me. I have no problem with paying my dues. There are plenty of people that work here that travel more than 3-4 days a week. They enjoy it and that is what they want.

Nyical

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2003
As conjur said or talk with your supervisor and explaine to him/her that
this isnt something you can or don't really want to do and perhaps they
can work with you.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Nyical
can work with you.

Done that already. Our company is project based. My previous project just ended. I am moving to a new project. It is the only work my supervisor has a part of. Hopefully in a few months some more projects will come around that I can jump on.

BTW, I would be much more willing to do this if there was a timeframe but I could be stuck doing this for 10 years. This isn't a project that will ever end. If I could do this for a year or so then I would be for it. I just don't like the idea of doing this for an extended period of time.

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
well you could get two girlfriends...at two locations...then travelling wouldn't be as bad :evil:

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
3 Words: Suck it up. Then, after you get your 2 years experience, get the hell out of dodge and go to a better company. You fail to realize that this is your stepping stone to greener pastures.

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
3 Words: Suck it up. Then, after you get your 2 years experience, get the hell out of dodge and go to a better company. You fail to realize that this is your stepping stone to greener pastures.

AgentBehemoth

Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Codewiz
Originally posted by: Nyical
can work with you.

Done that already. Our company is project based. My previous project just ended. I am moving to a new project. It is the only work my supervisor has a part of. Hopefully in a few months some more projects will come around that I can jump on.

BTW, I would be much more willing to do this if there was a timeframe but I could be stuck doing this for 10 years. This isn't a project that will ever end. If I could do this for a year or so then I would be for it. I just don't like the idea of doing this for an extended period of time.

That is a choice that you would make and not a choice by your employer so you can't blame that on them. You have to work at no job for longer than you desire. Regardless of whether 70 people started when you did the willingness to do what it takes to do a good job for the company is what will get you ahead of the other 69, otherwise they'll take one of them and let them do it and move them into the higher paying easier jobs later instead of you. Otherwise while you're not traveling start looking for a better employer that will cater your job to you instead of one that wants you to cater yourself to their job.