damn gov't regulation: get out of my haggis!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I really don't understand how regulation against haggis has helped or protected anybody.

If anything, there should be regulations prohibiting Broccoli from being grown or imported into the USA, because it smells very bad, and has the most horrible taste imaginable.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I really don't understand how regulation against haggis has helped or protected anybody.

If anything, there should be regulations prohibiting Broccoli from being grown or imported into the USA, because it smells very bad, and has the most horrible taste imaginable.

You don't have a choice because the gov will not allow others to sell you food that might give you mad cow's disease. Sadly, in this way, however, the government increases the number of morons who survive to breed, not only increasing the number of assholes who would willingly sell poison for a buck, but the number of morons who will try to keep the gov from keeping folk safe in the future.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Why was it banned? If there are brains or spinal cords in it, then there are valid health reasons (mad cow disease) to ban it. But it shouldn't be banned just because it is eating butcher shop slops.

PS-I agree with GWB on this one (read the linked article).

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Why was it banned? If there are brains or spinal cords in it, then there are valid health reasons (mad cow disease) to ban it. But it shouldn't be banned just because it is eating butcher shop slops.

PS-I agree with GWB on this one (read the linked article).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis
Haggis may not be imported into the USA from the UK since the BSE crisis of 1989. This is due to haggis' offal ingredients such as sheep lungs. The British Food Standards Agency disputes these concerns, and states that there is no reason for the import of haggis to be restricted.[17] In 2010 a spokeswoman for the US Department of Agriculture stated that they were reviewing the ban on beef and lamb products but no time frame was set

BSE(mad cow disease) was the reason.

was posted in OT a couple of weeks ago.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
You don't have a choice because the gov will not allow others to sell you food that might give you mad cow's disease. Sadly, in this way, however, the government increases the number of morons who survive to breed, not only increasing the number of assholes who would willingly sell poison for a buck, but the number of morons who will try to keep the gov from keeping folk safe in the future.

aye, ya pierce me to the heart, ya do... there's no mad cow in the pluck i use for me haggis!!! regulate as need be for safety, but don't blanket ban...

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Screw cow brains, it's the Canadian medicines that scare me. I'm glad those are banned.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Screw cow brains, it's the Canadian medicines that scare me. I'm glad those are banned.

Although you're technically correct that importing drugs from abroad for personal use is illegal, to my knowledge there's no enforcement UNLESS the quantity imported at any one time exceeds a 3-month supply OR the imported drug is a generic version of a drug still protected by patent in the U.S. OR the imported drug is treated with enhanced controls in the U.S. (for example, Schedule 2 [morphine, oxycontin, amphetamines, etc] or Schedule 3 [for example, barbiturates]).

Edit: Oh, almost forgot Schedule 4 (steroids).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.