Damn - Daily Show hitting on all cylinders tonight

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The arguably best segment I've seen in a while was their 'new McCain stump speech' segment, where his 'new' speech was sol close to the convention speech they were able to play them one over the other and they were almost synchronized - but tonight's segment on Wasilla, Alaska was outstanding, and the mayor interview is 'must see'.

Spoiler: the current mayor starts out by answering his question whether she feels being mayor has prepared her to be VP of the US, and she says 'absolutely yes!' The interviewer then asks her to talk about her handling of the fire dpeartment, education, any social issue and she says Wasilla doesn't do any of those things. He asks what the mayor does, and she says staff meeting Monday, sign checks Thursday, and stammers for more. Incredible indictment of the 'Wasilla mayor executive experience' nonsense.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Damn, Palin can sure kiss up. It's amazingly subtle, too. :laugh:

I suppose any of them can do that though. I generally try not to listen to politicians speak, in the same way that I don't like to play in traffic.

And wow, I'm really getting sick of all this "OMG are they anti-Americans?"
Yay for the cheap shot bullshit of questioning patriotism. It just never gets old.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
That interview with the current mayor of Wasilla was pure gold. I can't believe she couldn't name a single thing she does that would prepare her for a vice presidency, wow. Just wow.

DarrelSPowers

Jul 9, 2008
Originally posted by: badkarma1399
I wanna watch it. Apparently he gave Northeastern a shout out for beating BC in hockey.

Heck yes.

I saw him when he was here, really a funny guy, and his bit wasn't nearly as politically themed as I expected.

One thing he talked a lot about was the mccain/palin "Real America" focus.

The fact that a political campaign is trying to make a distinction between who is a "real American" and who isn't really gets under my skin. If I were a republican, I'd honestly be ashamed to hear my candidate saying this. Despite what you believe to be right for the country, if you were born in America, you're American.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
That interview with the current mayor of Wasilla was pure gold. I can't believe she couldn't name a single thing she does that would prepare her for a vice presidency, wow. Just wow.

I thought the best part was when they were interviewing the guy who was talking about how 9/11 effected small town America and had zero regard for the fact that it was New Yorkers who experienced the worst of it.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: HomerJS
Priceless!

While not news should be required viewing.

If The Daily Show isn't news, what show would you say is?

It certainly contains more news content than anything on FauxNews, CNN, or MSNBC..

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I cant stand the anticipation. Did the show come off as liberal? Conservative? Someone tell me!

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
http://blogs.abcnews.com/polit...10/mccain-adviser.html

A fuller Pfotenhauer clip on the "real Virginia." The anchor is a nice guy and gives her a chance to "back off that ledge" but instead she takes a swan dive.

The funny thing is it's pretty clear what she is trying to say, she just says it horribly. If she wants to say that Northern Virginia is an extention of the MetroDC area and that area tends to be democratic, they just say that.