Damn Bush! He's calling for a ban on broadband taxes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: chess9
Hey, you boneheads! Most of the states are fighting FOR the right to tax these transactions because they are losing sales taxes. Why would Bush be calling for a ban if they weren't? The future tense was implied in the post. I realize I'm dealing with unsophisticated Libertarians and neo-cons but even Vic has been known to grasp a principle between slices of pizza. :) Galt WILL grasp one in the future, and Corn never has and never will. :) :)

AT ANY RATE, I AM NOT ADVOCATING INTERNET TRANSACTION TAXES. Is that plain enough for you BONEHEADS? :)
-Robert
If you tweak that just a bit, I bet you can make his .sig.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
Originally posted by: chess9
This will rob the states of sales tax revenues, so ultimately we will pay a tax on something else to the state to make up for lost revenues.

I doubt it will affect our overall tax burden, but it does sound good to geeks like this bunch. :)

-Robert

How will it "rob the states of tax revenues" when they aren't receiving tax revenues on access now? In other words, anything that is not taxed is "robbing the states of sales revenues?"
John, the concern is that people will move from POTS to broadband, so local governments will lose the tax money they take in from POTS, without any sort of similar increase to offset it.

PS This is an access tax folks, it has nothing to do with sales taxes

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz
Originally posted by: myusername
I'll be happy to pay taxes if Ashcroft doesn't read my emails...

Why? Do you have something to hide?

/me rats you out to the FBI.

:D

just lots and lots of spam.
I was being facetious - I am concerned about privacy issues, but with the exception of some new liberties taken (by the gov ... from us)since 9/11 it's not really a partisan issue.