Damaged Heatsink for P3 733

CrustyToeJam

Jun 9, 2001
I was installing the heatsink on top of my pentium 3 733 MHz processor and damaged the thermal interface material (the white guey stuff) on the bottom of the heatsink.

I got my computer up and running and saw that the CPU temperature was at 40 C and the MB temp was at 26 C. If I left my computer on for about an hour, the CPU temp rose to 45 C.

I think the temp is too high for the CPU and the damage I caused to the thermal interface material while installing it may have affected the heatsink's mechanism.

Is the temperature too high? If it is, should I replace the heatsink and if so, any deals out there for a good quality and cheap priced heatsink?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

MulLa

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2000
I have the same CPU as you do. Depending on the room temperature the CPU can rise to 45C+ on serveral occassions. Especially when the room temperature is around the 40C mark. Lucky it's winter now ^^ For this part of the world anyway.

CrustyToeJam

Jun 9, 2001
would it be safe to take off the thermal paste that's on now and apply something new like arctic silver on it?

Grendel99

Dec 12, 2000
Yeah just remove it. Use WD-40 and some elbow grease, and it comes right off. Then go over it with some rubbing alcohol to get the WD-40 off. Then apply a very small dab of Thermal Grease.